Chasing Im Nayeon (VIII)

Race You To Her Heart

 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART; 
Chapter 8: Chasing Im Nayeon (VIII)

 

When school started the following spring, Dahyun would be in her final year of middle school. Dahyun decided then that she wanted to go to Nayeon's high school after she graduated... She needed to catch up to the older girl.

The first day when school reopened, Dahyun went and waited right outside of Nayeon's school, instead of at her usual spot by her own school gates. There were two people she was waiting for that day. The first person was of course Nayeon (that she had missed dearly), and the second was Nichkhyun sunbae-nim. 

Coincidentally, both Nayeon and Nichkhyun came out of the school gates together, laughing over something as they walked closely side by side.

"Omo, Dahyun-ah!" Nayeon greeted with a grin when she saw the younger girl.  

"Hey, Nayeon unnie," Dahyun greeted back. That was followed by a bow and a shy hello to Nichkhyun, which the latter returned. Somehow she still felt a little bitter about Nichkhyun being so close to Nayeon.

"What are you doing here? Were you waiting for me?" Nayeon asked, patting Dahyun on the head. Dahyun nodded, "Do you want to go home together?" She asked Nayeon.

"Sure," Nayeon replied. She turned to her taller friend, "Hey Nic oppa, I'll be leaving first. I'll see you tomorrow." She told him, ready to leave with Dahyun.

"W-wait," Dahyun blurted out. She fiddled with her skirt pocket before awkwardly pulling out a handkerchief. "I wanted to return you this, sunbae-nim." Dahyun handed the piece of cloth to it's rightful owner, while Nayeon gazed at it with an eyebrow raised. "Thank you for the other day," Dahyun said with a polite bow. "And don't worry I already washed your handkerchief for you."

"Ah," Nichkhyun mouthed keeping the cloth into his pocket. "It was nothing. Is your hand okay now though?"

"Yes it's fine, thank you for asking."

"Wait," Nayeon spoke. "You guys know each other?" She asked confused.


"Oh yes I forgot to tell you!" Nichkhyun snapped his fingers with a sigh, "Dahyun-ssi was looking for you backstage that day during the show."

 


-

 


"I can't believe Nic oppa didn't tell me you were looking for me backstage!" Nayeon huffed later on when they were on the bus. "You even fell because of me!"

Dahyun laughed, "Well I could see why he had forgotten to pass on the message... it was pretty chaotic backstage."

"Still, he could've mentioned it..." Nayeon sighed, as though disappointed. "And it happened so long ago too... I can't believe someone actually pushed you down!" Nayeon said a little angrily. "Like, how could they jus-"

"It's fine," Dahyun waved it off, "It was an accident. Nothing serious happened anyway." In fact, part of Dahyun even wanted to thank that person. If not for him, Dahyun wouldn't have had an overreacting Nayeon unnie tenderly tending to her wound.

Nayeon stared at Dahyun. "What?" The younger girl said.

"You're too nice Dahyun-ah," Nayeon shook her head. 

"Huh?" Dahyun chuckled. "I'm not nice... I'm just..." she paused for a moment thinking. "Easy going I guess?"

"And kind..." Nayeon sighed, lying her head on Dahyun's shoulder. The older girl started playing with strands of Dahyun's hair. "You're too precious for this world..."

Dahyun felt her heart flutter. Nayeon's head was so close to her that Dahyun could smell the scent of her shampoo. She shook off that feeling, "H-how was your winterbreak though, Nayeon unnie?"

"Meh," Nayeon said. "It was alright, I told you about me taking up a part time tutoring job right? Well, I ended up tutoring this bratty rich kid."

Dahyun snickered, "Oh yeah? How bratty was he?"

"Terribly bratty!" Nayeon said. "He was so full of himself, awfully disobedient and even tried to hit on me."

"Hit on you?!" Dahyun gasped. She didn't like the idea of that at all. 

"Yes he blatantly asked me out, the audacity of that kid!"

"How old is he?" Dahyun asked.

"Your age?" Nayeon said. "Wait... Maybe a year younger."

Dahyun furrowed her eyebrows. Oh yeah, she remembered, that age range (her age range), was categorized as 'a kid' in Nayeon's mind. "So did you say yes?" Dahyun asked, already expecting an answer.

"No, of course not!" Nayeon replied. Dahyun nodded knowingly. 'I thought so.' She wanted to say, but Nayeon continued before she did. "Why would I go out with a bratty middleschooler?" Nayeon scoffed.

The word 'middleschooler' echoed in Dahyun's mind. 

The younger of the two soon let out a small bitter laugh as she turned to face the window. "Yes... why would you..."

 

 

-

 


Though Dahyun was a little upset by what Nayeon had said (maybe more than a little upset), she didn't let it bother her at all. It's not like Dahyun wanted Nayeon to go out with her anyway... right? 

Dahyun continued with her routine of waiting for Nayeon most days after school. Sometimes she'd wait by her school gate, while other times, when she felt a little bolder, she'd go over to the "older kids side" (as her friends call it) to wait for Nayeon. She'd get stares at first, the highschoolers there were probably thinking why was this kid waiting out at their school everyday, but after awhile she got used to it; and so did the highschoolers there.

Apart from Nichkhyun, Dahyun started to recognise Nayeon's other friends and acquaintances. There was the super athletic Taecyeon sunbae-nim, Wooyoung sunbaenim, Min Jun sunbae-nim (who preferred to be called Jun.K), Minyoung sunbae-nim, Suzy sunbae-nim, and this super chic girl Jeongyeon sunbae-nim. They all seemed rather intimidating in general... especially the the girls. Dahyun later found out that the guys were pretty nice though. They would greet or even try to make small talk with Dahyun once in awhile. Of course there was also the big-eyed Jihyo sunbaenim, who Dahyun started bumping into more often. (Not like she wanted to though.)

"Waiting for Nayeon again kid?" Jihyo said to her in her usual 'why are you here again, you unworthy child' tone.

"Uh yeah," Dahyun nodded, bowing slightly as a greeting. 

As expected, she didn't even get a hello from that scary, big sparkly eyed unnie. It's okay though... Dahyun had already long given up on expecting anything from Jihyo. It's not as though they were ever going to be friends anyway.

"You should just go home," Jihyo told her. "I don't think Nayeon has time to entertain you today," she said in disdain. Dahyun just kept quiet, continuing to loiter around the school gate; who was Jihyo to tell her what to do and where to go. 

Just then a cheery Nayeon came strolling out of school... along with a smiling Nichkhyun. 

Ah, the handsome and tall Nichkhyun sunbae-nim... he was always seen hanging around Nayeon nowadays. The moment Jihyo saw them, her stoic expression changed into a friendlier one. "Hey Nic oppa," she greeted, blatently ignoring Nayeon. Dahyun stared at Jihyo oddly; how did her expression change so quickly?

"Dahyun-ah!" Ah, and there was Dahyun's very own greeting. 

Who needs Jihyo to acknowledge her when she had her very own bunny-teethed Im Nayeon to do so.

Nayeon playfully ruffled Dahyun's hair, and the younger girl shrieked. "Yah Nayeon unnie, stop it!"

"Hehe annyeong, my favourite dongsaeng! Are you waiting for me?" Nayeon asked, a hand going to lightly pinch at Dahyun's cheek. And Dahyun thought she heard Jihyo scoff at them in the background.

Dahyun laughed, a child like sort of laughter. Favourite dongsaeng... Dahyun liked that phrase. Especially the word 'favourite'. 

Still, she didn't know why Nayeon bothered to ask her the same question each time she saw her, when they both knew the answer. "Yes, Nayeon unnie." Dahyun grinned. "Do you want to go home together?"

Nayeon was about to nod, due to habit, until she remembered. "Uh Dahyun-ah, I can't go home with you today sorry..." 

From a bright happy mood, Dahyun suddenly felt as though a grey cloud was hovering above her. "Oh... Why?" She asked casually, trying to hide her disappointment.

"I have plans with Nic oppa," She said glacing over to where the tall guy was. Jihyo was busy talking to him at the side of the gate then. 

Nichkhyun waved to Dahyun with a charming smile upon his face when he saw her looking at him. And Dahyun waved back out of politeness... even though she didn't really felt like it.

"Oh... I see," Dahyun said. "Okay then I guess I'll go home first."

"Yeah sorry," Nayeon apologized again. "Go on without me. I'll go home with you another day okay?" 

Dahyun nodded forcing on a smile, her hands gripping tighter onto the straps of her backpack. 

 

...

What is this horrible feeling? 


 

-

 


This continued to happen more often; Nayeon not being able to go home with Dahyun. Sometimes it was because of school work... other times it was because of plans with friends... Specifically with 'Nic oppa'... Was it really that busy being in the second year of high-school? 

"I can't go home with you today Dahyun-ah, I'm going with Nic oppa," Nayeon would say.

"Ah, you can leave without me I have plans again. Sorry..." Nayeon would tell her.

"Eh, sorry Dahyun-ah... I have a project to do today with my classmates. Tomorrow! I'll take the bus with you tomorrow instead."

"Um... it turned out I can't make it... I have to meet Nic oppa later on. Sorry again Dahyun-ah!"

Well, this surely . At this rate Dahyun was really starting to dislike that 'Nic oppa'. 

Still, Dahyun continued to wait for Nayeon almost everyday. Most times, Jackson would hang around with Dahyun for awhile at the school gates, before he had to leave. After he left, Dahyun would go over to the "older kids side".

"It's you again," Jihyo said when she saw the younger girl. Dahyun understood now that that was Jihyo's way of greeting her.

"Hi Jihyo sunbaenim," Dahyun bowed. She also didn't find the sparkly eyed girl as scary anymore... since, apart from her tone and expression, Jihyo  actually wasn't mean to Dahyun at all. In fact, she often served as a warning about the chances of Nayeon leaving with Dahyun, or not, for the younger girl to be mentally prepared, before that odd feeling comes and make her feel so... odd? 

Dahyun stared at Jihyo, anticipating what Jihyo has to say. But the latter just kept quiet, taking out her phone and looking at it. Dahyun, taking that as a good sign, grinned to herself.

"Why are you always waiting for Im Nayeon?" Jihyo asked, eyes never leaving the screen of her phone. "Don't you have better things to do?"

"Huh?" Dahyun looked at her startled at the question. "I-I don't know? I thought it'd be nice to go home together since we live in the same neighborhood," Dahyun said.

Jihyo scoffed. "I see," she said, looking up at the younger girl. "Must be nice being a middleschooler huh? Wait till you get to high-school... you won't even have time to do anything."

"Well you seem to have enough time at least... standing here talking to me..." Dahyun subconsciously murmured out, kicking some pebbles off the pavement. 

Jihyo gasped, seeming to be offended. "Why excuse you," she let out, her voice getting louder and higher for some reason. Dahyun shut , avoiding eye contact with the scary unnie at all cost... Oops, did she make Jihyo mad? "I happen to be very busy alright!" Jihyo let out defensively. "It's just that my driver is always late and you happen to always be standing here while I'm waiting for my ride home."

Dahyun looked at Jihyo with a pout. 'Phew, that wasn't so bad. At least she didn't insult me or aything...'  Dahyun thought. "Okay Jihyo unnie, but you didn't have to yell..."

For a second there Dahyun thought she saw an apologetic look on the older girl's face. But as quickly as it appeared, that look immediately vanished. "I wasn't yelling... I just have a loud voice," Jihyo said, in a nicer tone this time.  

A small smile crept up on Dahyun's face. Eventhough it wasn't much, that was still a good start; big-eyed scary Jihyo could actually speak nicely when she wanted to too. 

"Anyway you should just go home first today..." Jihyo continued, now looking at her phone. "It seems Nayeon have plans with Nic oppa again." 

Dahyun held her breath for a second, feeling that familiar strange awful sensation bubbling in her stomach. She took a deep breath, held it for a moment, before exhaling and that feeling thankfully disappeared. 

"Oh..." Dahyun breathed. A small frown appeared on her face as she looked on the ground.

"Tsk," Jihyo clicked her tongue. "Well, why are you still standing here?" She asked, slightly incredulously.

Dahyun shrugged. Why was she still standing there? She didn't really know... She never just left when Jihyo implied for her to... not until she saw Nayeon and the bunny-teethed unnie told her her plans for that day herself. A part of Dahyun was simply too stubborn. 

Sure she didn't like the feeling when Nayeon rejected going home with her – especially after she waited for so long each time – but even though there was a chance of Nayeon not going home with her... She still wanted to wait. Part of Dahyun still wanted to see Nayeon, to hear Nayeon's voice, to talk to Nayeon, even if it's just for a little while.

A pityful sort of smile soon appeared on Jihyo's face, as she sighed, shaking her head. Dahyun looked at her oddly, it was little things like that that Jihyo did which made her seem so suspiciously creepy. "You're hopeless kid," Jihyo said.

"Huh?" Dahyun answered. "What do you mean?"

Jihyo was about to open to say something when Nayeon came out of the school. "Annyeong Dahyun-ah!"

Dahyun's face lit up. She looked behind Nayeon while waving at her, somehow she was concerned if Nichkyun was behind her. 

"Where's Nichkhyun sunbae-nim?" Dahyun asked.

Nayeon looked at her with an eyebrow raised, "He's still practicing in the music room," she said.

"Oh..." Dahyun said, inwardly cheering.

"Why? Aren't you waiting for me?" Nayeon asked, seeming a little bit upset.

"Not everyone has to wait for you all the time, Nayeon," Jihyo in before Dahyun could even say anything.

Nayeon sighed, "I wasn't talking to you Jihyo."

"But I was waiting for you though," Dahyun continued. "I was just wondering if you'll be off somewhere with Nichkhyun sunbae-nim again..."

Nayeon smile returned, "Oh," she breathed simply. "Well, I'm not. So... let's go home together Dahyun-ah."

 

-

 

On their way back home Dahyun found out the reason why Nayeon was always hanging out with Nichkhyun nowadays; they had a important performance coming up. "We're dance partners again for the annual spring festival's performance," Nayeon told her excitedly. She was holding Dahyun's hand lightly, playing with her fingers; it was a habit Nayeon had developed and Dahyun had found it cute. "It'll be like a school dance party with loads of food and music and performances."

"Ah I see," Dahyun said. "I thought you guys were dating." 

"What?" Nayeon laughed. "No we're not! We're just really good friends!" Suddenly Dahyun felt a wave of relief wash over her. So Nayeon and Nichkhyun weren't dating. They were just practicing hard for a performance.

"Oh but... he did ask me to be his date at the dance..." Nayeon trailed off, looking away. Dahyun stared at the older girl when she asked the next question. "Should I... say yes?"

No. Dahyun wanted to say. Of course not! 

Reject him. Dahyun wanted to tell her. 

But instead the younger girl only shrugged, looking away. 

Nichkhyun was charismatic, and a gentleman. Nayeon was a beautiful and charming lady. They would surely be the perfect couple at the school dance. Dahyun could foresee it– the two together on the dance floor, having the time of their lives; everyone would be so envious. "Just go with him," Dahyun should have told her. So she tried forcing those words out... But why do those words feel like a huge lump stuck in ? In the end, Dahyun could only keep quiet.

"Dahyun-ah?" Nayeon called her. But Dahyun decided to look out of the window, the scenery outside was suddenly so much more interesting than listening to what Nayeon could say about Nichkhyun... and Dahyun was sulking to herself. At that, Nayeon tugged at Dahyun's chin gently to make the younger girl face her. She met eyes with Dahyun, holding her gaze for a moment. Nayeon's expression was unreadable and Dahyun felt as though the older girl was staring right through her. She subconsciously started holding her breath. "Do you think I should go with him?" Nayeon asked again softly.

Dahyun felt her heart racing as she stared into Nayeon's dark eyes, "I..." she stuttered out, feeling Nayeon's warm finger-tips on her chin. "I-I don't know..." Dahyun mumbled out. "You should... just do whatever makes you happy," Dahyun finally said.

Nayeon let go of the younger girl's chin then, and Dahyun went to looked away again, feeling her face get warmer. What did Nayeon do that for anyway...

Biting her lip nervously, Dahyun later awaited Nayeon's answer. 

"Fine..." Nayeon said while letting go of Dahyun's hand. "I will."

...

An odd atmosphere filled the two girls after that, which left Dahyun confused throughout the entire ride home.
 

What was that?
 

Was Nayeon unnie perhaps... mad at me?

 

-

 

"Hello Dahyun-ssi," Taecyeon came over to greet Dahyun one day while she was waiting alone. 

Out of all of Nayeon's friends, Dahyun decided that he was the nicest. "Oh hi Taecyeon sunbaenim," Dahyun bowed.

Taecyeon flashed her a smile, "Waiting for Nayeon?"

Dahyun nodded, "Do you know if she has ended school yet?"

Taecyeon looked at his wristwatch, "I don't think so?" Dahyun hummed a thanks followed by a sigh. "Don't you get bored waiting for her here alone?" Taecyeon asked, sitting down next to Dahyun. 

Dahyun looked up in thought, before replying with a, "hm... not really." She thought about Jackson waiting with her most days (which was fun) and always bumping into the sarcastic Jihyo unnie who always ended up talking to her anyway (which was quite funny) and she started laughing lightly. "I always seem to bump into some interesting people while waiting for Nayeon unnie."

Taecyeon raised his eyebrows, "Interesting people huh?" he said. "Well then... Am I one of them?" He joked playfully, a hand raising to his face as he let his chin rest between his tumb and forefinger.

Dahyun giggled at that. "Hmm... I guess you are." And Taecyeon laughed along.

She noticed that Taecyeon was in some sort of sports attire with the word track printed on his sleeve. "Hey Taecyeon sunbae-nim, are you in the track team too?" 

"Yeah," Taecyeon said. "You are too?" Dahyun nodded, which resulted in her receiving a hi-5 and a "That's awesome!" from Taecyeon in English. "Your english sounds good Taecyeon sunbae-nim," Dahyun commented. He really reminded Dahyun of someone...

"Ah, thanks," he said, a hand rubbing the back of his neck, "It's 'cause I was born in America."

"Oh," Dahyun nodded in realization. That's right, no wonder he reminded her of Jackson. "You should meet my best friend one day, he's in track and was from America too! I think you guys would get along well," Dahyun said.

"Sure," Taecyeon replied gladly. "Oh do you know Jeongyeon?"

"Um..." Dahyun thought for a moment. "I guess I've seen her before?" She's scary...

"Well, she's in track too!"

"Oh really?"

"Yeah," Taecyeon chirped. "Maybe one day you could call your friend along and the four of us could race together or something," he suggested.

Dahyun didn't hate that idea at all. It was always good to practice or race with others, she might even learn a thing or two. "Yeah sure why not?" she said with a small smile.

Dahyun really had a good chat with Taecyeon. By the end of it they had even exchanged numbers and dropped formalities with each other, "aish Dahyun, you can just drop the sunbaenim already. Just call me Taec oppa!" He had told her.

Nayeon walked out of school with Nichkyun that day to see the two of them happily talking away. 

"Annyeong Dahyun-ah," Nayeon greeted her. Followed by a surprised look towards Taecyeon, as though asking what was he doing talking to Dahyun. Taecyeon just shrugged with a grin.

"Oh Nayeon unn-" Dahyun was going to say happily when she saw who the older girl was with again...

Nichkhyun. 

Dahyun's wide grin faded into a forced smile when she saw how Nayeon's slender arm was hooked with Nichkhyun's toned biceps and Dahyun felt her heart sank. "H-hello Nayeon unnie..."

Suddenly she didn't even felt like asking Nayeon if they could go home together anymore...

 

 


 

A/N Hehe hello everyone:) How have y'all been? It's almost 3a.m. here and I hope I don't have too many spelling or grammar mistakes in this update. I checked it a couple of times though... (but who knows there is still a huge chance of my carelessness acting up). What do y'all think of this chapter?:D Oh and to those waiting for Momo... I'm sorry she didn't appear in this chapter... but she'll be appearing a lot more... soon enough:p Hehehe have a great monday ahead everyone ~

~strangemagnet