Chasing Im Nayeon (II)

Race You To Her Heart

 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART; 
Chapter 2: Chasing Im Nayeon (II)

 

Im Nayeon was just a girl that lives on the otherside of Dahyun's neighborhood. 

But suddenly she wasn't just a girl anymore. 

Dahyun found herself hanging around the gates of her school longer than usual. Her friends who were leaving wondered why she haven't left yet and decided to engage in some chitchat with her. But Dahyun's attention wasn't on them though; her eyes were instead glued to the silver gates of the school opposite her's.

"That drama was so tagic I was bawling my eyes out! Dahyun did you watch it?"

"H-huh?"

"Did you see that drama?"

"Oh the nine o'clock one?" 

"Yeah!"

"Oh uh..." she thought about it. Just then she spots a familiar dark haired girl walking out from the neighbouring school. "Nope, it's too sappy. Hey sorry but I got to go, I'll see you guys tomorrow, bye!"

She quickly crossed over to the other side and managed to catch up with the leaving girl. Dahyun walked next to Nayeon, matching her footsteps... just like what Nayeon did the other day.

After awhile Nayeon looked at her. They both stopped in their tracks. 

"Annyeong, Nayeon... unnie?" Dahyun said. Somehow it came out sounding like a question.

Nayeon smiled, "Ah Dahyun-ssi, it's you!" 

And Dahyun found herself smiling back.

-

They ended up walking together towards the bus stop, taking the same bus back to their neighborhood.

Strangely they got along very well. She found out that Nayeon was two years older than her, and that Nayeon was in her school's show chior.

"What about you? Are you in any clubs?" Nayeon asked her.

"Me? Ah... I'm in this special club called club 'sit on the bleachers'," Dahyun joked.

"Oh really?" Nayeon raised an eyebrow rather amused. "And what does club 'sit on the bleachers do'?"

Dahyun chuckled, turning her head to stare out at the window. "Well we sit on the bleachers..." she said. 

"That's it?" Nayeon asked. Her eyes followed to look at where Dahyun was gazing at.

The bus happened to have stopped at a red light and Dahyun watched as all the other cars stood equally still in neat rows. Out in the distance she sees a group of rowdy boys chasing each other across the zebra crossing. "We sit there dreaming,

...

watching others do what we can't."

 

-

 

Dahyun continued to "bump into" Nayeon for the next couple of days by coincidence (not really), and they take the same bus back to their neighborhood before they have to part ways.

 

It's a Friday afternoon and while her other friends all rushed off to their respective club activities, Dahyun went to visit her usual spot; the bleachers. 

She takes out a red bean bun from her backpack and stares out at the field in front of her. 

"Red bean is good for you," she remembered her doctor saying. "And sports like running unfortunately isn't so please cut down on that." And while her doctor had only told her to "cut down on that", her overly worried parents decided that what the doctor actually meant to say was "stop that completely", forbidding her to take part in any form of sports thereafter. 

She doesn't blame them though. Not after she had almost died that one time and needed to have a blood transfusion. 

Three bags of blood. 

Dahyun alone had used up three bags of blood in order to restore the normal level of red blood cells and iron in her system. 'What a waste of blood', she had thought, she was sure there were other people who needed all that blood more than her. 'I'm a waste of blood.'

Dahyun scoffs at that memory as she takes a bite of the bread. The track and field team members are getting ready for practice.

Dahyun watches as the students begin stretching and doing some warm up exercises. Then the coach arrives and the team's captain signals for the members to take their positions. A whistle soon went off and Dahyun watched in awe as the sprinters dashed forward. She imagined herself being the one on the track and sighed... it really wasn't hard (to imagine) since she used to be one of them. If she closed her eyes and tried hard enough, she could even still feel the wind against her skin as her legs carried her forward. 

The sound of the whistle went off once again, signifying the end of the short practice race. The one who came in first place pants as he walked back to the starting line to start over. The rest of the sprinters followed behind him. 

He spots Dahyun on the bleachers and waves. And Dahyun waves back. 

It was expected of Jackson to come in first place.

Jackson Wang was the captain of the track and field team. He was the best sprinter, long distance runner, high jumper, long jumper and well... he basically excelled in every sport in the club. He was also one of Dahyun's bestest friends; they knew each other since elementary school.

"Aye it's okay, don't be sad Dubu yah... Just watch me," Jackson had told her. "I'll win first place. In fact, I'll win all the races, more than enough medals for the both of us!" 

Dahyun smiled at that memory. It was a bittersweet sort of smile. Oh Jackson... He'll never understand what it's like to not be able to do what you love anymore. 

Dahyun never wanted him to win any medals for her.
Dahyun wanted to win them herself. 

Still, he only meant well, and Dahyun was ever grateful for a friend like him.

But sometimes, it pains Dahyun that she could only "just watch him". She doesn't even know why she goes there to watch when it always just ends up making her feel rather depressed. 

She wished she was the one out there on the field.

It can't be helped. 

She was only human after all. 


-


Dahyun left the bleachers just before track practice was about to end. She decided that she wasn't in the mood for Jackson to approch her to talk about how fast he was or how great it would be if she was still able to run with him on the team.

Dahyun was deep in thought about her busy schedule for the weekend as she walked out of her school gates. "Piano practice, homework, science tuition, math tuition, English tuition, piano lessons... ah and Jackson has a race coming up and asked me to go watch," she sighed. So many things to do so little time. 

"Gee someone seems upset," a familiar voice interrupted her thoughts all of a sudden.

"Oh Nayeon unnie?" Dahyun said. 

"Annyeong Dahyun-ssi," Nayeon greeted with a smile. 

Ah that familiar smile that reaches Nayeon's eyes and reveals her bunny like front teeth. So genuine. So warm.

It always made Dahyun's heart felt odd for some reason and she couldn't help but smile back.

"Where you off to kiddo?" Nayeon asked casually as they started walking side by side.

"Home probably. You?" 

"Hmm... I'm not sure actually."

"Oh... Don't you have some party to go to?" Dahyun wondered.

"What?" 

"I mean it's a friday evening and you're a highschooler and all."

Nayeon laughed, "so highschoolers go to parties on friday evenings?"

"Yeah...?"

"Who told you that?" Nayeon asked, clearly amused.

"My oppa said so. And then when you get to college the parties get even crazier!"

Nayeon chuckled lightly, "Well Dahyun-ssi your oppa sure knows how to live his life to the fullest."

"Wait, so highschoolers don't do that?" Dahyun asked feeling cheated.

"Oh sure we do," went Nayeon. "In fact I think I'm gonna drop by the club and have a drink or two later. You wanna come?"

Sensing Nayeon's sarcasm, Dahyun pretended to gasp in shock. "Omo Nayeon unnie, I didn't know you were that kind of person. I guess I shouldn't be talking to you anymore," Dahyun said before walking faster to get away from Nayeon.

Nayeon laughed, "Yah Kim Dahyun come back here!"

"No," Dahyun joked, "you're a bad influence!"

"Yah!" Nayeon yelled as she tried to catch up.

"Stop following me you bad influence unnie!" 

"Hey I'm not a bad influence, I'm a good kid too!"

Dahyun ignored her. "Help!"

"Yah Kim Dahyun I saved your life, you can't do this!" She said having trouble catching up with Dahyun.

With that Dahyun stopped. She laughed out loud at the panting Nayeon who finally caught up with her. 

"Ho gosh..." Nayeon said catching her breath, "How do you walk so fast? Your legs aren't even that long!"

"Excuse me? Are you calling me short?"

"Yes," Nayeon grinned.

At that, Dahyun was about to walk away again just to mess with Nayeon. But she couldn't because just then Nayeon grabbed her arm. 

"Hey I'm just kidding," Nayeon said. She hooked her arm with Dahyun's locking the younger girl to her side. "Please don't do that again, my school bag is really heavy and I'm tired from school plus show chior rehearsal was hell."

Dahyun stared at Nayeon's arm on hers. 

...

Why was her heart racing all of a sudden? And why was she feeling out of breath? Was it her anemia? Or was it because of-

"Hey, are you okay?" Nayeon asked. "Dahyun??... Dahyun-ah?" And Dahyun could only manage a small nod. "Yah, don't zone out like that! It scares me!" 

Again Dahyun could only nod. 

"Okay then, let's go," Nayeon said with a cheery grin.

They continued walking together in silence. Well at least it seemed like silence to Dahyun. She was pretty sure Nayeon was talking to her but somehow she didn't manage to catch any of it. Dahyun didn't know why but Nayeon's arm on her's was rather distracting. 

And what did Nayeon just called her? Did Nayeon just dropped formalities with her?

"Hey Dahyun ah, do you like ice cream?" Nayeon asked loud and clear all of a sudden.

"H-huh?" Dahyun looked up surprised at the random question. "Yeah." 


-


They ended up outside some ice cream cafe Nayeon recommended... 
which was closed. 

Nayeon's jaw dropped in disbelief as they both stared at the huge wooden 'closed' sign hanging on the inside of the glass door.


...


"Sorry the ice cream cafe was closed," Nayeon sighed later on.

Dahyun chuckled, "Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault that it's closed."

"But I promised just now I'd bring you to a place with really really delicious ice cream," Nayeon sulked.

"And you did," Dahyun nodded, seeming to agree with herself. "Only it's closed." Dahyun than laughed softly to herself finding the situation and a sulking Nayeon funny. Nayeon had even continuously praised and talked excitedly about how amazing this ice cream cafe was before they got there.

"Yah, are you laughing at me?"

"Pfft- no," Dahyun lied holding in her laughter. Nayeon eyed the younger girl suspiciously and Dahyun tried her best to keep a straight face. 

She failed.

"You were laughing at me!" Nayeon pointed out as Dahyun burst into giggles. 

"I'm sorry hahaha it's just... you're such a noob Nayeon unnie!"

"Yah!" Nayeon let out, clearly offended. And Dahyun continued laughing... until she felt her cheeks being pinched.

"Ow what the-"

"You take that back!" Nayeon said as she pulled at Dahyun's face.

"Ow noh! Let go of my face you noob!" Dahyun said with her hands flying to try and yank Nayeon's treacherous fingers off her cheeks. But Nayeon wasn't letting go anytime soon. 

"Ow ow ow okay fine I'm sorry Nayeon unnie please let go of my face!" Dahyun plead.

"Say you take it back."

"I take it back! You're not a noob!" Dahyun blurted out. And Nayeon lets go with a satisfied grin. 

She doesn't remove her hands from Dahyun's face though. "But Dahyun ah..." she said softly while caressing Dahyun's face with the back of her fingers. Dahyun's eyes widened as Nayeon came closer. 

She didn't know why but she began involuntarily holding her breath.

"Your face is so soft and healthy..." Nayeon said. Dahyun could only stare at her, frozen on the spot.

"Ah, and you're really fair too..."

Nayeon was staring intently at Dahyun's face now. And Dahyun would have found it creepy... if only she herself wasn't too busy staring into Nayeon's eyes. Nayeon's dark chocolate eyes. Nayeon's pretty double eyelids. Nayeon's-

"How did you do it?"

"H-huh?" Dahyun found herself stuttering out.

"Like... do you put something on your face?" Nayeon ask genuinely curious. 

"Uh... aloe vera?"

"What?"

"I-I... put aloe vera gel. And other aloe vera products."

"Really?" Nayeon pulled away from Dahyun, rather amazed. "That's all?"

And suddenly Dahyun could breath normally again. "Yeah... It's um... really good for your skin."

 

-

 

Dahyun had trouble sleeping that night. Whenever she closed her eyes a certain dark haired girl would appear. The day's events kept repeating in her head.

Why couldn't she breathe normally when Nayeon touched her? Her friends hooked arms with her too but it didn't make her feel... whatever that was. 

And why was her heart racing - as though she had ran a mile - when all she did was stood still? 

What was that odd feeling? 

'My anemia must be getting worse...' 

'There must be something wrong with me...' 

'But... I feel perfectly fine now'

'...'

'Why is that?'

Dahyun had so many questions running through her head that night, so many things she was confused about. 

But despite that Dahyun was sure of one thing. 

She doesn't hate that feeling. 

Not at all.

Also, 

she can't wait to see Nayeon again.

 

 


A/N: Hello there! It's me again and I'm here to present another update:) How was it? A new character has been introduced here... but I'm afraid there's no Momo yet. :( For those waiting for Momo to appear, I hope you'll be patient with me, she'll appear soon enough ;) (I personally can't wait to bring her in hehehe but plot development is plot development and Momo would have to wait for now :p) Anyway, have a great day ahead everyone!

~ strangemagnet