Catching Up (I)

Race You To Her Heart

 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART;
Chapter 15: Catching Up (I)

 

 

Taecyeon came to pick Dahyun up on the day of the festival, just like he said he would. Dahyun had thought that they'd both be taking the public bus to Taecyeon's school together, so when Taecyeon arrived at her doorstep with his black motorcycle – a Honda Fury VT1300CX – parked right outside her house, she was rather surprised. 


"You can ride a motorcycle?" She asked wide eyed. 


Taecyeon nodded, amused at Dahyun's reaction.


"Wow..." She gasped staring at the vehicle. 


"Wow indeed," Taecyeon murmured back, looking at Dahyun. Taecyeon had told her to wear something black, so that they'd match up. The theme he had in mind was something classy with a hint of "badass-ness"– which was what he was dressed in basically; a black tuxedo with a bow tie and ripped sleeves (showing off his muscular arms), a black metallic chain hanging across his vest, a nice pair of leather shoes and his hair nicely combed back. 


Dahyun had decided to wear a cute sleeveless black dress. It's mid section clung tightly to her torso – drawing attention to her small waistline – while the bottom got slightly puffier ending slightly above her knees. She also had a black velvet choker around her neck, a pair of black heels and light make up on. 


Out of her entire outfit, she was most proud of her eyeliner (which she had taken hours to master from the internet). It really brought out her eyes more; especially since she had single eyelids. 


Taecyeon let out a playful whistle while glancing at Dahyun from head to toe, "Looking good Dahyun." He was truly impressed at the vibe Dahyun gave off, it totally matched his concept. If he hadn't already known the usaully playful and cheery girl, he'd had thought that she was some super chic badass girl from a far. 


The younger girl blushed, lightly pushing Taecyeon away, "Shut up Taec oppa, you're looking good yourself." She then went back to admiring her ride for the night, lifting a finger to touch the shiny metal body of the motorcycle. 


"Sweet huh?" Taecyeon said with a sense of pride. 


Dahyun had only nodded her head quietly in amazement. She had never rode on a motorcycle before... To be honest she was feeling quite excited and nervous, the bike looked really cool to her. 


"Well, what are we waiting for then? Hop on!" He told her, tossing a helmet into her hands. 


Dahyun awkwardly tried to put the huge helmet on her head. It was heavier than she had expected, and she had problems trying to buckle it. 


Taecyeon laughed at her, before helping the younger girl with it. "You have to put it on like this," he explained, adjusting it for her and then clicking the buckle under Dahyun's chin. "There, done." He said, patting her on the helmet. 


"Ouch! Taec oppa please don't do that it's heavy!" Dahyun whined. 


Taecyeon laughed again, going to put on his own helmet. He hopped on the motorcycle pulling Dahyun on after that. "Hey, tie this to your waist in case your dress starts flying up," he said to her, handing her a windbreaker.


How thoughtful of him, Dahyun had thought as she muttered a "thank you" to Taecyeon. 


"Ready?" He asked, his deep voice muffled by the helmet. 


"Yeah," Dahyun replied, already feeling all hyped up. She isn't sure if she's excited or fearful now that she's actually on the bike. Maybe she was feeling a mix of both. Why did it suddenly seem like she was so high up? 


Dahyun was holding into Taecyeon's shoulder lightly when she heard Taecyeon mumbling something about how she should hold on tight to him or else she'd fall off. As the engine rumble and roar to life, she quickly grabbed onto his waist instead, deciding that it was a safer option (she didn't want to fall off and die on the street on their way to the festival), and in a second they were off. 



-



Dahyun decided that she likes riding on motorbikes. The feeling it gave her was exhilarating. It was like sprinting, except she didn't even had to use much energy. The loud noise it gave off made her heart leap in shock sometimes, but it was the good kind – a thrilling sort – of shock so she really didn't mind. She could feel the wind against her skin too, as though the air around her was actually tangible. 


When they arrived at the school, the party had already begun. Taecyeon had handed Dahyun a black eye mask, that kinda reminded her of those she had seen in the Incredibles movie, before wearing a similar one himself. 


The festival, crowded and lively, was held in the massive sports hall. Music was blasting throughout the place, and a huge disco ball was suspended in the air shooting colorful lights around the dimmed hall. Students in masks were chatting, eating, dancing and playing games. It was a real sight for Dahyun. 


"Wow so this is what a high school party looks like," she breathed, overwhelmed by the atmosphere. 


Taecyeon chuckled before tugging her arm, which was hooked onto his, towards what Dahyun assumed was the dining area. "Let's go eat something first, I'm starving!" he said. 



-



Dahyun whipped her head around excitedly when she heard the MC announce the start of the performances. Taecyeon and her were at a game booth then. The younger girl tugged at Taecyeon's arm to get his attention, "Hey Taec oppa, can we go watch the performances after this?"


"Sure," he said, aiming a toy gun at the last of some cans standing up. "Just let me finish this game first, I have one bullet left." With a sharp click of the gun, the rubber bullet flew, hitting all the cans down. "Yesss!" Taecyeon cheered, and Dahyun clapped in awe. "Woah! Nice one," she said as she took a sip of the punch that some servers had handed to her. The reddish coloured drink certainly smelled a little odd to the younger girl, but it didn't taste so bad, so Dahyun had drank it without any question. 


The game had won Taecyeon a tofu keychain. "Hey look, it's mini you," he teased as he handed it to Dahyun.


The younger girl let out a laugh as she held onto the keychain, "Yah, I don't look like that!"


"Oh you don't?" Taecyeon chuckled, "Then I guess you don't want it so, I'll just throw it away now..." He said taking it from the younger girl. 


"Huh wha– I never said I didn't want it," Dahyun said, grabbing the small item back from Taecyeon. "It's so cute why would you throw it away?" She mumbled with a pout.


"Ah, you're right," Taecyeon nodded, "keep it then, it's for you."


"Really?" Dahyun chirped admiring the cute toy. "Thanks Taec oppa! I have to show it to Jackson ahaha!" She said amused as she took out her phone to snap a picture of it. 


Taecyeon grinned then, satisfied that Dahyun seemed to be enjoying herself.


When they were near the middle of the hall, Dahyun couldn't really see much of the performance... she was unfortunately too short. The girl was jumping up and down, trying to get a glimpse of the show when she felt a strong pair of arms holding onto her sides. Dahyun shrieked as the pair of arms lifted her up with ease and suddenly Dahyun found herself sitting on Taecyeon's shoulders. "Taec oppa what are you doing?" she wondered out loud in shock and slight embarrassment. 


"Well you're obviously too short to see anything," he said simply as he walked around looking for a spot with a better view, amongst all the people there, for the both of them.


"No I'm not!" she continued to squeal, as she held on awkwardly to Taecyeon's head, afraid that she might fall. The people around them stared for awhile before casting their attention back at the show. "Put me down oppa," she hissed. But Taecyeon only swayed side by side just to mess with her. "Yah oppa! Oh my God please don't do that!" She said, horrified. "I'm so heavy, what if I fell and broke your neck."


Taecyeon only chuckled at that. "Shhh you're light as a feather Dahyun, just be quiet and enjoy the show," he told her, still insisting on carrying her on his shoulders. "How's the view up there?" 


And Dahyun was about to argue on again until she noticed how the view up there was indeed 200 times better than the view she had while standing on the ground. "It's... awesome." 


"See I told you."


So, Dahyun only prayed that she wouldn't accidentally break Teacyeon's neck, and that Taecyeon wouldn't let her fall, as she continued watching the performance.


There was hip-hop dancing, a taekwondo demo, a band and plenty of other really cool performances. Dahyun enjoyed all of them, however there was one particular performance that she was looking forward to... the show chior. Or more specifically, Nayeon's performance.


"And now ladies and gentlemen, presenting to you our school's talented, and fabulous, the amazing show choir!" The MC finally announced. 


"Oh there they are," Taecyeon said pointing to the group of performers in white, shuffling quickly into the hall. 


In just mere seconds, Dahyun spotted Jihyo. Even with her face half covered by a white mask, Dahyun could easily tell it was her. "Oh look there's Jihyo unnie!" She chirped.


"Oh wow, you could tell?" Taecyeon said still wondering who's who and which one of the performers were actually his friends.


The entire hall clapped along to the performance as a happy sort of melody started to play. Dahyun watched on in awe, she was quite amazed at how the show chior always managed to successfully put a large group of people together to create music while dancing along. She found herself cheering for Jihyo when she saw the big-eyed girl singing a short solo as she danced with others dressed in white. "WOOHOO JIHYO UNNIE!" She screamed and Taecyeon kept laughing at her, amused at her enthusiasm.


The music started to slow down as the lights dimmed and a guy with a deep voice started to sing. Girls in the crowd could be heard screaming and squealing with delight as a spotlight shone on a tall and well built guy. Dahyun recognized him as Nichkhyun. "Wow he's really good," she gasped until she heard Nayeon started to sing next. Dahyun herself had wanted to squeal like those crazy fangirls that were screaming for Nichkhyun before, but she couldn't for she felt her breath got caught in . Nayeon's voice was beautiful, and Dahhyun was sure that under the fancy mask the older girl was too. It was okay if she couldn't scream though, Nayeon's existing fans were there to do so in Dahyun's place.


Ah, Nayeon unnie is so popular in school... 


Of course, Nayeon was going to dance with Nichkhyun again. Dahyun had already braced herself for the strange feelings she would feel when she saw the familiar scene of Nichkhyun and Nayeon staring lovingly into each other's eyes as they sang and danced closely together. Yes she had already prepared herself for this... she knew she was definitely going to feel jealous... to feel that uncomfortable turning and twisting in her stomach... but that doesn't mean she was used to that feeling. 


Still, she forced herself to finish watching the entire performance, chanting in her head about how they had all practiced hard for it and she should at least respect their hard work by watching their performance. 


Dahyun was holding onto Taecyeon's hands for balance then, and when she saw Nichkhyun leaning in closer to Nayeon, as though he was going to capture her lips, Dahyun subconsciously started holding her breath as she gripped tightly onto Taecyeon's hands.


 "Hey Dahyun, are you alright?" Taecyeon suddenly asked.


"H-huh?" She mumbled out, still watching the two smiling flirtatiously towards each other as Nichkhyun inched closer to Nayeon by the second. 


Y-yah! Get away from her! 


Luckily, the performance ended then, with Nichkhyun's face just inches away from Nayeon's and more students could be heard squealing and cheering and catcalling around them. And Dahyun let out a sigh of relief. "I- I'm fine..." she muttered out. 


"Oh then, could you um, not grip so tightly onto my hands."


Dahyun's eyes widened  and she loosened her grip in embarrassment, "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry Taec oppa!" she apologized. "Um, you can put me down now..." she said as the MC announced the next performance.


"Huh why?" Taecyeon asked.


"You must be tired from carrying me for so long," Dahyun said. She did feel bad for sitting on his shoulders for such a long time.


"Oh no no, I'm fine really. I have strong shoulders you know."


"But I..." she said. Honestly she didn't have the mood to continue watching the performance anymore anyway. "Actually I need to go to the washroom," she told Taecyeon.


"Oh okay then."



-



Dahyun found herself sulking in the washroom as she removed her mask by the sink. She knew she was suppose to be enjoying herself since Taecyeon had made such an effort to invite her and all... but after watching Nayeon and Nichkhyun dancing together – with their hands all over each other – Dahyun couldn't help but feel very upset.


The sour jealousy she had felt previously was now replaced with a sort of dull ache in her chest. Ah, why does her heart hurt so much? Is love suppose to be like this?


The younger girl started to feel tears well up in her eyes as the scene from before kept replaying in her head. 


'Yah, Kim Dahyun, why are you being like this?' She scolded herself, fanning a hand near her eyes as she tried her best to not let the tears fall. What a stupid reason to be crying over something like this. She couldn't help it though, being reminded constantly of how Nayeon could possibly be with Nichhkhyun in the near future... instead of with her. How she was in love with Nayeon. How she was the only one in love. 


The door of the washroom suddenly swung open and Dahyun quickly wiped at her eyes as she the tap. 


"Omo?" she heard a familiar voice mutter out. She looked up only to see a certain big-eyed unnie. "Ah, J-jihyo unnie," she greeted, forcing on a smile. Jihyo nodded at her before walking towards a sink.


"You look great today Jihyo unnie," Dahyun complimented, trying to make her voice sound as natural as possible. It wouldn't be nice if Jihyo found out she was crying now would it? 


Jihyo looked up for a moment, glancing at her oddly, before muttering a curt "Thanks." The older girl leaned forward towards the mirror, checking her make-up and Dahyun thought that their conversation was over before she heard Jihyo said, "you don't look too bad yourself, kid."


Dahyun lets a small smile form on her lips as she turned off the tap. "Thank you."


"So what did you think of our performance?" Jihyo asked casually. 


Dahyun's smile vanished as she thought back about Nayeon and Nichkhyun. "I-it was great," Dahyun said. "You sang really well."


Jihyo turned to look at her, "Hey are you like... crying?"


"Huh wha- no? No I'm not," Dahyun lied. 


Jihyo stared at her with an eyebrow raised and her arms crossed. "Yeah right," she said sarcastically. And Dahyun frowned, turning away from Jihyo to face the mirror instead.


"Did Taecyeon tried to do something weird to you?" Jihyo asked. 


"No..." She mumbled blinking away unshed tears.


it up Kim Dahyun. It's not the end the world. 


"Then... It must be Nayeon then?" Jihyo assumed. 


The younger girl kept silent. 'And Nichkhyun', Dahyun wants to add on. Nayeon and Nichkhyun. Oh God, even their names sounded good together. 


Jihyo smirked, "I thought so." She walked towards the younger girl. "Listen kid," she said, placing her hands on Dahyun's shoulders. "Although this is a so called 'spring festival', you can see for yourself that it's really just a high school party right?"


Dahyun nodded, feeling vulnerable all of a sudden. This was probably the most Jihyo has ever interacted with her, without having Dahyun initiate any thing. "Well then, since it's a party and you're all dressed up, you're here to have fun yes?"


Dahyun nodded again. 


"Then what are you doing here sulking all by yourself?"


Dahyun stared at her slightly bewildered. Jihyo's right, what was she doing here? 


Under Jihyo's intimidating gaze, she shrugged, looking at her feet. The big-eyed girl clicked her tongue. "It's not everyday that a middle schooler gets invited to a high school party you know," she reminded Dahyun as she reached for the younger girl's mask by the sink. "Also as much as I hate to admit it, you have a decent looking date. So consider yourself lucky and stop sulking over here. Put on your mask, go out there, and dance or something!" She told Dahyun before placing the mask back on the girl's face and pushing her towards the door. 


"O-okay..."


Jihyo drags Dahyun out of the bathroom to be met with a worried Ok Taecyeon. "Hey are you alright? What took you so long?"


"Oh she's fine," Jihyo answered for her and Dahyun couldn't be more thankful. "Girls just take longer to go to the washroom. You should know that fact by now Taeceyon."


"Oh they do...?" Taecyeon mumbled, scratching his head. 


"Come on stop standing around, let's all go get some drinks! My treat," she pulled Dahyun and Taecyeon along.


"Wait but... aren't the drinks all free of charge?" Taecyeon commented, confused. 


"Oh shut up," Jihyo said, and Dahyun lets a small giggle escape her lips. Maybe the night wouldn't be so bad after all? 



-



Taecyeon and Jihyo introduced some friends to Dahyun while they were having some drinks. The younger girl thought it was nice of the sunbae-nims to try and make her feel welcomed (although clearly she was the only middle schooler there).


Then she got dragged to the dance floor. "Um it's okay, I can't really dance..."


"Aye don't worry, Taecyeon over here will guide you along!" One of Taecyeon's friends said. "Right buddy?"


"Uh... Yeah, don't worry I'll teach you," Taecyeon mumbled, rubbing his neck shyly. 


When they just got to the dance floor a fast song was playing and everyone was moving wildly. Dahyun laughed at the way Taecyeon moved along to the beat in a exaggerated way. "Come on Dahyun, dancing isn't so hard! Just move like this," he said tugging at both her hands. 


Dahyun tried her best but, she was pretty sure that she still couldn't dance. "It's okay," Taecyeon smiled, he moved closer so he could whisper something to her ear. "You can't be worse than my friends over there," he pointed discreetly. 


Dahyun turned to look. "Oh my," she breathed surprised. "They look like they are having.... Um... Random muscle spasms... Are your friends alright?" 


Taecyeon gave her a look. The two fell silent for about a good two seconds before they both burst out laughing uncontrollably. 


Just then a slower song started to play and the atmosphere around them changed from a 'crazy-high' one to a calmer and more... Romantic sort? 


Dahyun looked around, realizing how everyone was now in pairs, dancing closely with their partners. 


"Um may I?" Taecyeon asked awkwardly, reaching out a hand. 


Dahyun smiled shyly letting Taecyeon pull her closer. She let Taecyeon lead her, swaying slowly to the music. "One, two, one, two..." Taecyeon counted softly as Dahyun stared at their feet afraid that she would accidentally step on his toes. Her hands were resting on his shoulders while his hands held her hips lightly. 


So far so good... 


After a while Dahyun looked up only to have Taecyeon staring right back at her. They both broke out into a grin. "See dancing isn't so hard right?" Taecyeon said.


Dahyun nodded innocently, "It's cause you're a good teacher Taec oppa."


They both chuckled as Dahyun started to get the hang of slow dancing. She had to admit, she was slightly flustered since she was dancing so closely to a guy. Maybe it was because of that that her face was so hot? Ah, but why was she feeling a little light headed too? Was her anaemia acting up? 


Dahyun later saw Taecyeon waving to someone not far away. Curiously she turned to look... Only to see Nichkhyun and Nayeon slow dancing together. 


Nayeon's eyes met Dahyun's and the younger girl's heart did a little flip before it decides to sink to the bottom of the ocean. Why did she have to watch them dancing closely together twice? Why was watching them together so... Unbearable? 


The older girl greeted her with a smile and a nod but Dahyun found that she couldn't really smile back. She tried to though – to force on a smile – before quickly looking away. 


Ah, my heart hurts. 


And maybe she was imagining things but her head started to hurt too... Why was the room spinning? 


"Hey, Taec oppa..." 


"Yeah?"


"Can we go... Get a drink or something?"


...


The drink given to her had only made Dahyun felt worse.


When Taecyeon and her rece again to the dance floor, they found that everyone had cleared out to make space for some sort of couple dancing event.  And of course... Nichkhyun and Nayeon would be a part of it. And of course... Dahyun just had to once again spot the two together. And of course that ache in her chest returned.


Not only that but Dahyun also found that there was some sort of anger bubbling within her. 


Subconsciously, she took a step forward, as she watched to two dance, only to hear Taecyeon cheering at the side, and Dahyun was reminded of how she was in someone else's school. So the girl stopped herself, clenching her fist by her sides as she watched on, feeling more than upset as the two danced along while the people around them cheered. 


There was a spotlight shining on the many couples which soon started settling on landing between Nayeon and Nichkhyun... And another pair... Dahyun realise how it was actually Jihyo and, her date for the night, which she recalled being introduced to awhile ago. What was his name again... Chansung? 


Dahyun decided she didn't want to look at Nayeon and Nichkhyun smiling coyly at each other, hence she tried her best to focus her attention on Jihyo and Chansung instead. 


She heard the audiences continue to cheer heartily with excitement – making her headache worse – until the voice of the MC sounded through the speakers. "Okay folks we have counted your votes and heard your screams and looks like we have two obvious couples in the lead!"


"Who will be this year's Spring Fling Swing's king and queen?!"


Dahyun felt a little bad but she had secretly hoped that Jihyo and Chansung would win instead of the other two. 


The sudden squealing and catcalling towards the couple Dahyun's eyes were desperately trying to avoid caught her attention though. That made Dahyun's eyes unintentionally fly towards the two. She stared with her eyebrows furrowed when she saw Nichkhyun removing Nayeon's mask, starting to move closer to her.


What the heck is he trying to do? 


Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion as she watched Nichkhyun continue to inch closer towards Nayeon, while the latter just stared at him... And that's when Dahyun decided that she has had enough of this crap. She couldn't take it, she wants to go over and pull Nayeon away.


So she does. 


It was as though her feet had a mind of it's own, as they stormed forward, while her heart rammed against her chest and her mind on the other hand was having a whirlwind of contradicting thoughts.


'What are you doing Kim Dahyun?!'


'Step back, step back right now!'


'What? And let that ert Nichkhyun kiss your Nayeon unnie no way!'


But just as Dahyun was about to reach the pair – just as Nichkhyun was about to kiss Nayeon – the lights in the hall went out. 


Dahyun swiftly grabbed onto Nayeon's arm in the dark, tugging her away from the stupid dance floor. Away from the bustling hall. And most importantly away from that stupid Nichkhyun. 

 

...


To be honest though, Dahyun didn't even know where they were going. She just kept storming forward feeling furious and upset and confused until they ended up in the empty hallways, dimly lit by the light coming from outside the school's massive windows. 


Then she felt Nayeon shook her hand off. "H-hey that hurt," she heard Nayeon say. "Who are you, and where are you taking me?" 


Dahyun stopped walking. She, who was suddenly aware of what she had just done, refused to look at the older girl as she felt the previously held back tears welling up in he eyes. All these feelings, all this confusion... All the thoughts that refused to leave her alone... Why did she have to go through this? Why did she have to see the person she like with someone else? Why can't Nayeon be in love with her too? 


"Dahyun?"


And hearing that, hearing Nayeon call her name so softly... that was all it took for all the tears she had tried to hold in, all the feelings she had tried so hard to hide, to fall right out. 


"Dahyun-ah? Hey, what's wrong?" Nayeon whispered, moving closer to her. She lifted a hand to take off Dahyun's mask and the younger girl lets out a sniffle.


... How embarrassing. 


Dahyun isn't one to cry so easily. At least not in public. She was the type of person who always tried her best to smile, the type who tries to bring a little bit of positivity into the lives of those around her. But here she was, not knowing exactly why or what she was crying over, letting the tears fall freely. 


She felt Nayeon envelope her in a hug. "Shh don't cry," Nayeon cooed, her hands wrapped around Dahyun. "Did Taecyeon bully you?!" the older girl asked sounding quite pissed. She pulled away slightly to look at Dahyun's face, "What happened? Did he do something? Are you hurt somewhere?" Nayeon rambled on worriedly with her hands now gently holding onto the side of Dahyun's arms as she eyed the younger girl up and down. "Dahyun-ah? Tell unnie what's wrong?" She said, a tumb lifting to gently wipe away Dahyun's tears.


Dahyun sniffled, shaking her head lightly as Nayeon stared at her. 


Dahyun suddenly felt so selfish as she thought about how she didn't deserve Nayeon's care for her. The older girl was having such a good time, and all she could think about was her own feelings, of how unbearable it was to see Nayeon with Nichkhyun. She had ruined a moment, a moment Nayeon probably wanted to cherish. Come to think of it... Maybe Nayeon even wanted Nichkhyun to kiss her. If that was true, then Dahyun had officially ruined it. She had ruined it all. 


What have I done?


I'm so sorry Nayeon unnie. 


"If you're not going to tell me, then I'm going to look for that Ok Taecyeon and ask him myself," Nayeon stated firmly. She was about to walk away when Dahyun grabbed her arm again. "D-don't go... Nayeon unnie..."


"Alright..." Nayeon whispered caressing Dahyun's face. And Dahyun thought that she must really be selfish then, because deep inside, she was actually enjoying Nayeon's touch. She was secretly happy that Nayeon was now here with her and not with Nichkhyun. How could she have thoughts like these? How childish of her...


"Then tell me why you're crying, Dahyun-ah?" 


"I-I'm..." Dahyun stuttered out, followed by a hiccup. "I'm s-sorry Nayeon unnie."


Oh God... Now she can't even speak like a normal person. These feelings are so... burdensome. 


"What for, silly?" She heard Nayeon say lovingly, tucking a stray hair away from the younger girl's face. 


"I... I'm sorry I dragged you out h-here," Dahyun started, nervously. "Especially s-since you were having fun with N-nichkhyun sunbae-nim..." She stuttered out. 


I'm sorry I'm so selfish...


"But I... I just c-couldn't help it... Watching you two dancing like that... It..." Dahyun paused taking a deep breath shakily, "It hurts, Nayeon unnie." The younger girl let out softly, once again quietly letting her tears fall as she looked at her feet. 


I can't stand it... Watching him touch you like that... letting him have you... I just can't...


"What do you mean?" Nayeon lifted Dahyun's chin, looking into Dahyun's eyes. Even through her tears Dahyun could still see Nayeon's pretty face close to her... All blurry... Just like a dream. 


She stared in a daze, her heart pounding inside her chest. Suddenly Dahyun wished she could kiss her. 


"Do..." Nayeon later murmured out. "Do you perhaps... Like Nic oppa?" She asked Dahyun. 


Dahyun tried to look away after that, but Nayeon wouldn't let her.


Stupid. What kind of question was that? Why would I like him when the only one I have feelings for was you all this time... 


"Hey," the older girl breathed, with a small smile. "Stop avoiding my eyes," she told Dahyun, still holding her head in place.


Dahyun gazed at her vulnerably. She was kinda scared honestly. What should she do? Part of her was dying to tell Nayeon how she felt... While another part of her worried over risking their friendship... Risking everything.


"Well? Do you?" Nayeon asked again softly. "It's okay you know, you can tell me. I'm not dating him anyway," she said a matter of factly wiping away another tear. 


All Dahyun could think of then was how gentle Nayeon was, how soft her hand was. How she wished Nayeon would be like this – all tender and caring – only to her and her alone. 


"And to be honest I don't think I'll ever date him..." 


Dahyun's heart stopped for a second. Did Nayeon just say she wasn't interested in Nichkhyun?


That's right this was Dahyun's chance. If she wanted Nayeon to be with her she'd have to confess. There was no other way. Nayeon was always popular, Dahyun knew that. Even if Nichkhyun doesn't steal her away, someone else would eventually. Unless Dahyun does it first. She has to take a step forward, she has to do something before someone else does. "No... I don't."


"Huh?"


"I don't like Nichkhyun sunbae-nim..." She mumbled. "I like... Someone else..." 


Yes, this has dragged on for long enough. Dahyun wasn't going to wait for forever and end up regretting. She didn't even know where the sudden courage she had came from but she was going to say it. She was going to tell Nayeon how she felt. 


"Dahyun-ah I–"


"N-nayeon unnie," Dahyun started, cutting Nayeon off. "I-I have something  to tell you..." She said, grabbing Nayeon's wrists as she removed the older girl's hands from her face. 


Dahyun took a deep breath. 


Here goes nothing. 


"Nayeon unnie... Meeting you was one of the best things that could ever happen to me and," Dahyun looked down towards her hand on Nayeon's wrist, "Y-you're a really good unnie, a-and... friend... And you're really important to me and... I... I really hope you won't hate me after I say this but..." 


Dahyun felt like she was going to pass out. She could feel her face growing hot, and her heart beating so quickly... While her soul seemed to be leaving her body. What on earth was happening? 


"I..." Dahyun stammered out, her hands seeming to be gripping tighter onto Nayeon's by the second. 


She really hoped that she doesn't faint before she got her feelings acrossed. Oh gosh, her head hurts. Why does this feel like some sort of panic attack mixed with her anemia... 


"What I meant was..."


Oh God, I can't breathe, help me. 


"Actually I..."


Spit it out Kim Dahyun. 


"I like you... Nayeon unnie," she finally whispered, looking up at the older girl. There she said it. Now she's torn between feeling like running away and praying desperately for Nayeon to not stop being friends with her. 


What she doesn't realize though was how by then, Nayeon's face was somehow only inches away from her's. 


And Dahyun was totally caught off guard when Nayeon decided there and then to capture Dahyun's lips in hers, leaving the younger girl wide eyed and mind in a blank. 


Dahyun's mind continued to be in a blank – empty and hollow, and silent – while her senses seemed to have all went numb, before she realised what was actually happening. 


Nayeon had kissed her.

On the lips.

Nayeon was kissing her on the lips. 


And suddenly Dahyun's head was filled with noise and thoughts as she was overwhelmed by the tangible feeling of Nayeon's lips on hers, of Nayeon's scent invading her senses, of the warmth of Nayeon's hands on her neck, of Nayeon's presence. Of Im Nayeon. 


Oh my God... 


She's kissing me...


Nayeon unnie is kissing me?!?!? 

 

 


 

A/N Hi everyone! I'm back:D (And yes I can hear all of you nagging at me to update ahhahaaha whoops y'all are so cute nawww) Wow my last update was 20 days ago holy molly! I'm so sorry but I had been really busy with school. Good news though, I've cleared my current major assignments. :) Ah, but I will be starting on an internship so I don't know if I'll have the time to update often... hopefully I do though? Since there will probably be no assignments? Anw, we're going into the next arc for this story as you can see and it's now back to Dahyun's POV. I apologize if it seems kind of repetitive to the previous chapter but I felt that it had to be done for the development of future chapters. AH BUT, I'm quite sure all of you would enjoy the next chapter :)) I'm already halfway through it kekeke. Hopefully I'll update by tomorrow hoho. See you guys again very very soon~

~strangemagnet