Chasing Im Nayeon (IV)

Race You To Her Heart

 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART; 
Chapter 4: Chasing Im Nayeon (IV)

 

"Don't worry Nayeon unnie," Dayun had said in the cab that day. "I won't die." 

Her promise was followed up by a few coughs. "At least not yet..." She murmured feeling slightly breathless (in a bad way). Still, she grinned as she laid back down on Nayeon's lap.

"Yah don't say things like that!" Nayeon scolded.

And Dahyun chuckled in return, "Unnie... where are we going though?"

"Oh you passed out awhile ago so I'm taking you to the hospital now," Nayeon explained. 

"Eh... We don't have to go to the hospital," Dahyun panicked, forcing herself to sit up. "I'm fine, see."

"What??" Nayeon said, feeling absurd. "But you just fainte-"

"Please unnie..." Dahyun pleaded. "You can't take me to a hospital... if you take me there my parents would have to come down and then they might find out that I was running..."

 

-

 

In the end, Nayeon brought Dahyun to a clinic she frequents.

"Don't mind the way he speaks later on Dahyun-ah..." Nayeon warned before it was their turn to see the doctor. "He may seem a little weird, but he's great at his job."

Dahyun remembered being quite surprised at how young the doctor looked... not to mention how very good looking he was. But she was – indeed – most surprised at the way he spoke. 

"Omo it's our Nayeonnie!" The handsome doctor greeted Nayeon cheerily (a little too cheerily) when the two girls entered, which made Dahyun stare at him oddly. "Who is this new little kid we have over here? Let's see..." he adjusted the round glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose (his very sharp nose), before glancing at the paper his assistant had passed him earlier on. 

"Um I'm not a little kid..." Dahyun muttered and Nayeon giggled. But the doctor didn't seem to have heard her. 

"Kim. Da. Hyun. Ah, Dahyunnie~" He called her, and Dahyun almost choked on her own saliva at the endearing nickname. "Okay what can I do for you lovely ladies today?"

"Doctor Jung, my dongsaeng has anemia and fainted just now so-" Nayeon tried to explain but was unfortunately cut off. 

"I see... have a sit Dahyunnie and I'll run a check on you."

 

-

 

Luckily this time round - according to the overly friendly handsome doctor - it wasn't too serious.

"Here Dahyunnie have a piece of candy," The doctor offered. Dahyun just took it, feeling a little suspicious. 

"Uh thank... you?"

The doctor smiled, revealing his perfect sparkly white teeth. His eyes were like two dark thin crescents when he smiled... until he began staring at Dahyun, as though pressuring her to unwrap the candy... which she did. And he kept on staring until Dahyun placed the candy into .

'Creepy...'  Dahyun thought.

"But Doctor Jung... is it okay for people with anemia to actually run?" Nayeon questioned. 

"Oh yes, depending on their condition that is," the doctor replied, eyes finally leaving Dahyun to look at Nayeon.

"Ah I see... then what about my Dahyun?" 

At that Dahyun's eyes widened slightly as she felt a blush crept up her face. Since when did she became "Nayeon's Dahyun".

"Dahyunnie?... Hm... Why not?" 

Dahyun's face lit up at that. "Really?" She asked. "But what if I want to run not just for fun but like for my school's sports team?"

"Sure. You just have to be extra careful. You know, have proper stamina training... not too extreme though, it should build up gradually," the doctor said with hand gestures. "Pace yourself when you run. You should take note of your breathing too."

Nayeon nodded along at the side as though taking down mental notes.

"Drink more water... don't skip your meals... Never. Skip. Your. Meals." He emphasized.

Dahyun nodded, looking away. She was guilty of doing that sometimes; the act of skipping her meals. It wasn't on purpose, she just didn't have the appetite or was too tired to bother eating.

"If possible, change your diet to consuming more iron rich foods..." the doctor continued.

"Iron rich... Like beef?" Nayeon asked.

"Yes beef is good, but not just beef. She should take in more things like spinach, lentils, beans, chicken liver... oh and tofu! Tofu is really great."

"Ah... tofu..." both Nayeon and Dahyun nodded along.

"Yes, vitamin C will help her in absorbing iron into her blood too.... Sleep well.... Monitor your blood pressure. Ah, but most importantly she should take all her medication. Which reminds me, Dahyunnie you have certain medications prescribed to you yes?"

Dahyun nodded in reply. Which earned her another question on what medication they were. She answered without a problem.

"Well, did you take them today?" The doctor then asked.

Dahyun looked at the doctor, before thinking for awhile while Nayeon stared at her. 

"Um... no... I didn't..." she replied, looking down at her hands resting on her lap. 

"Again?" Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Ah did you forget?" The doctor asked casually, writing something in his notepad.

"Sorta..." Dahyun lied. The truth is Dahyun sometimes deliberately skips her medication.

"Well Dahyunnie how often do you take you medication?"

Not very often... "Uh... sometimes?"

"I see..." the doctor said looking up. "Well Dahyun," he started, and for the first time, since the entire time Dahyun had seen him, he looked serious. "You should really take your medication regularly if you want to continue running." 

 

-

 

Dahyun figured that Nayeon must have caught on about her tendency to deliberately skip her medications. Or else the older girl wouldn't be constantly nagging and reminding Dahyun all day long to take her dreadful medicine.

As much as Dahyun wanted to ignore Nayeon's constant nagging, she can't. 

It had been a habit for Dahyun to just casually forget to take her medicine... to casually forget to bring it to school... to casually ignore it when she saw it sitting on her kitchen counter... 

But now, with Nayeon's endless reminders, it has become a habit for Dahyun to take all her medicine. Because just by accidentally glancing at her medicine she'd hear Nayeon's voice nagging in her head. 

"Annyeong Dahyun-ah, did you remember to take your medicine today?" Would be the first thing Nayeon asked when they meet after school.

"Dahyun-ah, have you taken your medicine yet?" Would be the text Dahyun receives in the morning and during lunch time. 

"Dahyun-ah remember to take you medicine after dinner when you get home okay?" Would be the last thing she says to Dahyun before they part ways.

"You did take your medicine today didn't you?" Would be the last words Dahyun sees, blinking on her phone screen before she goes to bed. 

Sometimes Dahyun would even hear it, if Nayeon decides to send her a super long, super naggy, voice message instead. The older girl would also throw in a "You better not lie to me." Just to guilt trip Dahyun (which totally worked because Dahyun just couldn't bring herself to lie to Nayeon).

"Dahyun-ah, did you take-"

"Yes unnie. Yes I did." Dahyun typed into her phone before sending Nayeon a reply for the umpteenth time that week. She sighed, mentally slamming her head against her table. 

Why... why did I even let her bring me to a clinic.

But Dahyun had to admit, she was rather touched by Nayeon's constant reminders. 

It must've took effort to remember to remind someone, not just once, but a couple of times a day, to take their stupid medication everyday. It showed how much Nayeon cared. It also showed - Dahyun would like to think - how Nayeon constantly would have to think about Dahyun in order to remind her. 
And Dahyun really liked that idea... 

That she was on Nayeon's mind. 

Because Nayeon was constantly on her's.

Fortunately, Nayeon's nagging didn't go down the drain, because soon Dahyun started to see results. 

It wasn't like magic though. It did take some hard work. Dahyun even practiced during the weekends, running around her neighbourhood... somehow she'd always end up at Nayeon's side of the neighborhood. And she'd use that as an excuse to meet up with the bunny-teethed unnie. 

Sometimes, Nayeon would even willingly jog around with her. The older girl would claim that she needed a break from her studies... or that she needed some exercise from sitting down at her desk all day... or she would playfully mention how Dahyun would probably run faster when she is graced with Nayeon's awesome presence.

Nayeon really looked out for Dahyun. She even forced Dahyun to go for follow up checkups at the handsome (but odd) doctor's clinic when she would feel just a little bit sick (which Dahyun thought was a waste of time and money) or just to see how her condition was from time to time.


-


Eventually, Dahyun manage to make it back into the track team - just in time before the year ends. 

The coach practically welcomed her with opened arms. His only concern was her condition and well... Dahyun's parents. 

Of course, her parents still didn't know... for now. But the coach didn't need to know that yet.

It was Dahyun's first official sports event after getting back on the team. She had to take part in two relays; the 200m dash and the 4 × 100m run.

Nayeon had wanted to go watch her but unfortunately she had classes during that time... "Good luck kiddo! Sorry I can't be there," Nayeon had said through a text. 

From Bunnyteeth Lifesaver Im Nayeon Unnie: "I'll see you after school!:)" 

From Bunnyteeth Lifesaver Im Nayeon Unnie: "Be careful okay? If you feel unwell just rest okay?! Don't force yourself!"

"Thanks Nayeon unnie:))! It's okay just go to class! hehe I'll do my best *bicep emoji* See you later!~" Dahyun shook her head, laughing to herself as she sent a reply to Nayeon.

From Bunnyteeth Lifesaver Im Nayeon Unnie: "Go win some medals you little champion!<3.<3"

From Bunnyteeth Lifesaver Im Nayeon Unnie: "Oh wait, did you eat your breakfast? You better not skip it again! And did you remember to take your medicine?!"

Dahyun smiled to herself as she opened her gym locker. 

'This unnie is too cute...' she thought to herself.

"Yes unnie, I already ate my breakfast!" She sent as a reply. 

Dahyun was about to throw her phone into the locker when another message came in. 

From Bunnyteeth Lifesaver Im Nayeon Unnie: "Yah, you didn't reply me about your meds!:("

Dahyun rolled her eyes, grinning to herself. "Yes unnie, I've already taken them. Stop being a nag, you naggy ajumma!:p" She typed into her phone. She giggled at her own reply, thinking about Nayeon's offended expression when she sees how Dahyun has referred to her as being a 'naggy ajumma'.

Just then she hears Jackson's voice yelling at her from outside the girl's locker room. "DUBU-YAH! IT'S YOUR TURN SOON! HURRY UP AND GET OUT HERE YOU SLOWPOKE!"

Dahyun tossed her phone into her locker laughing childishly to herself before Nayeon can even reply, slamming it shut.

"YAH! WHO YOU CALLING A SLOWPOKE YOU STINKHEAD!"


-


Dahyun positioned herself on the track. Her heart was already pounding due to her excitement and happiness at being able to run again. "On your mark... Get set," Dahyun heard the announcer command. She took a deep breath.


I'll definitely win you some medals...

Nayeon unnie...


"GO!!"


-


Dahyun happily swung her legs against the concrete walls beneath her as she sat by the gates of her school. She still can't believe she had just ran two races on the track team.

'Ah, it feels great to be on the team again,' she thought to herself. Just replaying the event in her head made her blood rush. She grinned to herself, feeling the gentle evening sun rays land on her skin.

She later saw Nayeon walking out from her school. 

Dahyun's grin widened. But she quickly hid her smile though... she decides that she wanted to trick Nayeon. 

Nayeon waved to her from across the road as soon as she noticed Dahyun. And Dahyun waved back with a straight face.

"Annyeong Dahyun-ah," Nayeon greeted with her usual smile (which Dahyun tried really hard not to return). "Oh... hey Nayeon unnie..." she said in a rather upset tone.

"Dahyun-ah... what's wrong?" 

"Oh it's nothing..." Dahyun said looking down. 

She was trying not to laugh when she felt Nayeon pat her on the head. "There there..." Nayeon cooed gently, "it's okay if you lost. All that matters is that you tried your best right? There's always next time Dahyun-ah..." 

And that's when Dahyun accidentally lets a giggle escape her lips. 

Dahyun looked up at a frowning Nayeon, "Pfft... Unnie who said I lost?" Then she sprang up from her seat to show Nayeon what she had been hiding in her pocket. "Taa-daa!" She grinned excitedly, flashing two gold medals in front of Nayeon. "I won unnnie! First place for both relays too! Hehe, are you proud of me?"

Dahyun had expected Nayeon to maybe slap her arm for pretending to be sad at first, or perhaps cheer in joy and congratulate her, or maybe even pinch her cheeks and like how she usually does... but instead Dahyun was caught off guard when the older girl suddenly wrapped her arms around her in a hug. 

"N-nayeon unnie..." she breathed, stunned. Just like moments ago at the event, her heart was suddenly racing.

"Of course I'm proud of you Dahyun-ah," Nayeon whispered. And Dahyun felt chills run down her spine. "I'm soooo proud."

"Gee... t-thanks..." Dahyun stuttered out. And right before her hands got the chance to respond to Nayeon's hug by hugging her back, Nayeon pulled away. 

The older girl moved her hands to Dahyun's face to do what she always does best. 

...

Pinching Dahyun's cheeks.

 

"Ow Nayeon unnie wh-"

"Aigooo you little champion I knew you could do it! Good job Dahyun-ah, good job!~" she teased in a cutesy voice.

"Ow unnie stop it!" Dahyun whined.

"No. How dare you even try to trick me, pretending to be all upset," Nayeon smirked, pulling at Dahyun's face a little harder.

"Ow ow unnie I'm sorry, stop it please it hurts!" Dahyun plead. And Nayeon lets go laughing at the miserable kid. 

"Why do you always do this to me..." Dahyun cried out rubbing a hand at her face. "It hurts you're so mean!" 

Nayeon moved closer to Dahyun and the latter's eyes widened. "It's 'cause you have a cute face, silly," Nayeon said poking Dahyun's cheek lightly. 

Dahyun felt her face grew hot after that, but she ignored it, thinking it was because of how Nayeon had pinched it too hard.

"Also," Nayeon continued after stepping back. "There was no point trying to trick me Dahyun-ah... I already knew you brought about good news."

Dahyun looked at her confused. "Huh? How did you..." 

And Nayeon answered that by nonchalantly pointing to the window at the end of the school building... opposite Dahyun's school... facing their exact location. 

Nayeon's classroom.

Dahyun mentally face palmed herself.

'Ah, I forgot... that she can see me from there.'

"I figured you couldn't have done any badly since you looked so happy, smiling to yourself like a blissful child," Nayeon teased with a victorious grin. 

And so Dahyun realised that she had tried to trick Im Nayeon... only to be fooled by the girl herself. Dahyun scoffed, storming off (in the direction of the busstop) in disbelief and slight embarrassment. And Nayeon laughed running after the younger girl. "Yah Dahyun-ah! Are you mad at me now?"

Dahyun sighed, disappointed at herself. She really hated to lose... no matter how small or petty the incident was.

'Note to self... come up with a plan to get back at Nayeon unnie...' She thought childishly. 

"Yah! Dahyun-ah, wait up!" Nayeon yelled while laughing. 

And Dahyun picked up her pace. "YAH! Kim Dahyun!" But Dahyun ignored her. 

"Hey, if you stop walking so fast I'll buy you chocolate ice cream!" Nayeon offered.

Dahyun stopped in her tracks. She does love chocolate ice cream... 

Nayeon eventually caught up with her. She hooked her arm with the younger girl's, and Dahyun can't help the feeling of a déjà vu. 

Nayeon looked at Dahyun and Dahyun jokingly glared at her. Then the older girl shamelessly gave a wide grin and Dahyun couldn't help but laugh along. 

"You better buy me a delicious one! It's my prize for winning two races okay!" She demanded as they start walking.

"Alright alright... I'll buy you the whole store if you want," Nayeon said.

"Really?"

"No... I was only kidding. I'm not rich Dahyun-ah," Nayeon scoffed.

"Aish," Dahyun shrugged, "I figured so..."

"Excuse me?"

"You should've saved money for ice cream instead of bringing me to Doctor Jung. What a silly unnie tsktsktsk," Dahyun playfully sighed while shaking her head.

"Pish, how ungrateful of you. Yah, taking you to see Doctor Jung is for your own good okay?" She nagged, to which Dahyun rolled her eyes to. "Besides, you should thank me for blessing your eyes."

Dahyun laughed. "Are you serious unnie? He's so weird!"

"Yes but you have to admit... he's good looking right?"

"Yeah..."

 

But not as good looking as you...

 


 

A/N: Hullo, it's me!:) How's everyone? My school has just resumed and it has been awfully relentless so far... But hey, all's good since I made it to the end of the week alive. :) So, what do y'all think of naggy Nayeon in this chapter? Ah, and Dahyun is finally able to run again too, I'm actually kinda happy for her. :') Oh yeah as you can see I've added a cover image for this story! I've been wanting to get it done for a while now and it's finally up. :D What do y'all think?

Ah but... I hope y'all are not too bored by the slow progression for now, all I can say is there's more to come in this seemingly calm and smooth sailing story so far (kekeke). Still, thank you so much for continuing to read this fic of mine. :) 

I'll see y'all soon!:) Have a great weekend! ~

 

~ strangemagnet