May the game begin again

I'm Not A Monster

If Jeonghan hadn't already seen the drawing, he would've surely dropped the picture out of shock but he already suspected something like this. The photo he was holding showed his own face and the one of his friend and co-worker Joshua. Jeonghan's face was graced by a red circle again, whereas Joshua's face had been crossed out with a fat, black marker.

If the photo hadn't been part of the evidence Jeonghan would've crumpled it up, that's how angry he was right now. Not only was the criminal trying to freak him out by drawing him, but now he was also dragging someone entirely innocent into all of this. Jeonghan couldn't and wouldn't let anything happen to Joshua. Still boiling with rage, he shoved the photo into one of these plastic bags meant for evidence.

As he looked at it again though, he noticed that this was definitely not a photo that anyone with an internet connection could've downloaded from the police website. Actually, until now this photo had only existed on the SD-card of his private cell phone. He had taken it at the last party that he went to with his co-workers.

By now every little piece of happiness that had remained in Jeonghan's body was gone. How did a psychopath hack himself into his private cell phone? Usually Jeonghan  kept it inside his bag which was always in his office where only his boss, his co-workers and a bunch of important people had access to. But then again, he was a psychopath and a criminal. Hacking into someone else's phone was probably not much of a difficulty for him.

Since we're talking about cell phones, Jeonghan's business phone was ringing just now in his pocket. It was his boss Jackson Wang who probably wanted to inquire about the results of his investigation. As soon as he answered the call the other started to speak, not giving Jeonghan any time to even say hello.

"Look, I know I probably should've sent another detective but I hope you still have some satisfying results for me"
Wow, the amount of empathy his boss was feeling for Jeonghan's situation.  With clenched teeth he began to report what he had found while taking off his gloves, ready to get the hell out of there.

"So, what you are saying is that this criminal smuggled a photo of you and Joshua into a high security prison. Any explanation on how he could've done that without help?"

"No", Jeonghan answered truthfully.

"So, you're absolutely sure he must have smuggled it in and that there was no certain detective to help him with that."

Jeonghan was about to explode.
"No, Sir. I know I've made my mistakes, but I want to see this man locked away as much as you do."

"What you want is not of importance. I'm your boss and I need my people to be entirely trustworthy and efficient. Characteristics that you are certainly lacking on, judging from the past that you shared with S.Coups"

"Sir, with all due respect, I don't care what you think of me or my past decisions. I was the one to arrest S.Coups after all. If I wanted to have any connection to him, I had all my chances to do so. But I didn't. Because that man is dangerous and a threat to all of us. So I would kindly ask you to stop keeping me from working on the case that you want to see closed so desperately. May you have a nice day, Sir."

After hissing those last words in his phone Jeonghan hung up on his boss. He knew that behaving like this was eventually going to cost him his job one day but he was just trying to win his boss' trust back. And sometimes a blunt statement was the best method to do so. Even though Jeonghan wasn't entirely sure how much of it had actually been true.

Before he left, he took a few pictures with his phone, not wanting to lose all the evidence to the other detectives. As he wanted to step out of the cell a police officer got in his way. He was about Jeonghan's height, brown hair and sharp facial structures.

"Excuse me, but I think that belongs to us", he said pointing at the plastic bag, with the photo inside, in Jeonghan's hand.

Jeonghan tightened his grip around the bag showing no intention of giving it to the officer.
"And you are...?", he asked with a touch of arrogance.

"I'm officer Peters. The detectives who are working on this case told me to collect all the evidence. And I think that bag in your hand is one of them, so would you kindly give it to me?"

Jeonghan crossed his arms and looked at the officer skeptically. He noticed that the uniform he was wearing, was a little too big for him. The shirt was loosely tucked into his pants as if he didn't have enough time to do it properly. Apart from that, his hair was covering his entire forehead even though it's rather unusual for a police officer to have a fringe. Something inside Jeonghan told him not to trust that guy.

"I'm sorry, but I was ordered to take this evidence to my boss Jackson Wang. If there's any problem with that, I think you're going to have to talk to him instead."

The officer sighed and looked over his shoulder to the other detectives who were busy talking to the prison director.
After making sure no one was paying any attention to him the officer suddenly drew his gun and placed it on Jeonghan's chest.
"Okay, I tried it the nice way. Thanks by the way, for ruining my huge effort on getting this uniform. Now give me the photo."

Jeonghan eyed the gun on his chest only to realize that it was, indeed, a real one. The guy must have stolen it from an officer along with the uniform. Jeonghan shot a glance at the other detectives who were still engrossed in an argument with the prison director.

That was exactly the situation Jeonghan had been thinking about earlier. A detective can't show any weakness when he's threatened with a gun. Like his father once said: Don't show them that you're scared because that will only give them confidence in doing what they intended.
So Jeonghan tried to safe himself with logical argumentation.
"Or what? Are you going to shoot me? I don't know if you're aware of that, but shooting someone inside a prison is probably the dumbest thing you could do. There are police officers everywhere."

His opponent only rolled his eyes.
"Yeah, S.Coups already told me that you have a mind of your own and would probably not be very cooperative."

Jeonghan dropped his raised eyebrows and was instantly alarmed at the mention of S.Coups.

"I knew we'd understand each other", the other guy said with a knowing grin on his face, "just so you know, I am in direct contact with him and he doesn't seem too happy about your current attitude. In fact, he liked you better when you were a crying mess begging him to let you stay."

That was enough for Jeonghan. His fists were now so clenched that he was finally crumpling up the paper. His lower jaw was outstretched and his eyebrows gave his whole face a final, angry touch.

The guy was just staring at him expectantly with a confident expression.

"What if I don't give it to you and just walk out of that door over there?", hissed Jeonghan with his arms still crossed in front of his chest

"Well then..", the guy pretended to think about it and suddenly pulled himself closer to Jeonghan to make sure that only he would hear what he had to say next. "..the horror will start all over again and this time he won't let you off that easy. He will torture you until you don't know your own name anymore. And he will enjoy Every. Second. Of. It."
With every single word, he tapped his gun onto Jeonghan's chest, to emphasize the meaning of them.

The lump in Jeonghan's throat became bigger and bigger with every second and every word the guy was saying. He tried to swallow it but he could barely even breath. Images started flashing in front of his mind's eye.

He felt the punches in his face and stomach. Felt the knife cutting his skin like paper. Saw the manic grin of S.Coups right in front of him and heard his insane laugh echoing in his mind. A rough hand on his chin, raising his head up which he had bend down out of pain and to protect himself. Jeonghan opened his eyes just to be confronted with the criminal standing right in front of him. His aggression seemed to have calmed down and he was now even smiling a little bit.
"Stand up and get yourself cleaned up. I think you have learned your lesson."


Jeonghan shivered at the thought of those days. He had tried his best to forget every single thing involving S.Coups but this guy obviously had to bring it up again.

Even though he was basically breaking every rule his father had  taught him, he slowly handed the picture over to the guy. Making deals with criminals was probably the dumbest thing a detective could do because it would surely come out sooner or later and that would cost him his entire career. But at this point Jeonghan was too desperate, too frightened by the memories that he would do about anything to get as far away from S.Coups as possible.

The guy in front of him smiled in approval as he was holding the picture in his hands. After he had flattened it to remove most of the creases, he carefully put it in his pocket. With a pleased nod he lowered the gun and put it back into the holster. Even though now Jeonghan had the opportunity to arrest the man in front of him, he remained silent and watched him sharply.

"I hope that was our last encounter", the guy said while finally tucking his shirt in properly, "but if you keep investigating and trying to find S.Coups I'm sure we'll meet again."

Jeonghan only let out a contemptuous snort, not willing to waste a proper answer on that guy. But he only shook his head and disappeared through the next door.

A few seconds after the guy had disappeared, as chance would have it, the other detectives finished their discussion with the prison director and were now heading towards Jeonghan. He tried to calm his built up anger down and relaxed his tensed muscles.

"So, you're the detective who has had ... experience with S.Coups?", the women asked sharply. You could clearly hear the undertone of skepticism in her voice.

"I wouldn't call it experience. We just... encountered", said Jeonghan, visibly uncomfortable.

The male detective seemed more understanding and not as stiff as his colleague and promptly switched the topic. Which wasn't  an exactly better situation for Jeonghan either.
"So..did you find anything in the cell?", the man asked.

"Well - Jeonghan cleared his throat - I found nothing of interest to the case, but I did find a drawn picture which portrayed my humble self."
Jeonghan decided to not even mention the photo that he had just handed over to the fake officer.

"And you didn't mark it as evidence immediately? It's clearly a sign on what he's planning to do next!", the woman snapped at him.

Jeonghan sighed. Another one of those people. From experience with his boss he had learned how to deal with people like that.
"No, I didn't think it was of importance. Inmates tend to remember their last encounters, the last conversation they had, the most. Since S.Coups is quite an artist he decided to express these thoughts by drawing the whole scenery, which coincidentally had me in the center of it. His way of coping with his imprisonment, I presume."

The woman didn't seem to appreciate his way of speaking, or thought he was just making things up. But luckily the male colleague thanked Jeonghan and then dragged the woman with him, away from Jeonghan. He seemed clearly embarrassed by her behavior.

"Now he's even calling him an artist...", Jeonghan could hear the female detective mutter under her breath in disbelief while walking away.  But Jeonghan didn't care much about that. He was just happy to finally be able to get out of that prison and a few moments later he was sitting in the backseat of a cab.

As he stepped into the office building, he was greeted by a giant grin on the faces of his colleagues. Even his boss who usually was always in a bad mood couldn't help but to grin a bit while passing by. It was definitely a bit of a discomforting feeling as Jeonghan walked to his own office with all these glances landing on him. He thought that maybe he had something on his face, or maybe his hair looked messy because of the wind.
But as soon as he stepped through the doorframe of his office, he could imagine why everyone was acting so weird.

Someone had put a giant bouquet of flowers on his desk. It nearly took over his complete work space. Jeonghan didn't even know, until now, that you could buy such a giant bouquet anywhere.

"So, who's your secret admirer?", his colleague Mingyu asked, still grinning.

Jeonghan, on the other hand, was more than confused. He hadn't been dating anyone in quite a while and couldn't imagine who would make such huge efforts and send him a giant bouquet. There were all kinds of flowers in it. Roses, tulips, lillies but also daffodils. Just like the flower that, one time S.Coups had marked the victim in the police station with.

Jeonghan shook his head. Now he was already starting to associate everyday objects to this case. He really needed to get his mind off his work for a while.
Focusing on the flowers again, Jeonghan carefully started to look for a card or anything that could tell him who the addressor was. After inspecting the bouquet he actually found a simple, white card tied to one of the roses. He took it out carefully and opened it, curious about who sent this to him. But the curiosity quickly changed to fear. Fear that made his heartbeat stumble for a second.

"May the game begin again."
S.C

That was the only thing written on the card. No name, nothing. Just that one sentence written in black ink.

Since Jeonghan had no crazy ex that could have written this card, and because of the initials there was only one name instantly plopping up in his mind. But could it really be him? Or was Jeonghan associating harmless things with pure evil again? And besides, S.Coups had sent his henchman to the prison, so he knew that Jeonghan was working on the case already. No need to let him know that he was back by sending a giant bouquet directly to the office. But on the other hand, S.Coups loved the drama. And letting every detective in the office know about his return would surely draw a lot of attention, making this whole case even more popular than it already was. But drawing a lot of attention was also making it more risky to get caught...

Way too many questions.

Jeonghan was sure that there had to be a logical explanation for S.Coups' behavior.

He turned around to Mingyu who was still creeping around trying to get a view of the card, but Jeonghan instantly let it slide into his pocket. If his boss found out that he had  received flowers from the criminal everyone was looking for he'd surely lose his last bit of trust in him. And since half of the people in the building were still curiously trying to take a look inside Jeonghan's office he decided to let the card disappear as fast as possible.

He was curious though, how S.Coups had gotten these in here without anyone recognizing him. He had been in the media so often that at least half of the country knew him by now.

"Do you know how these flowers got here?", Jeonghan asked.

"Yeah, I put them there. Some delivery boy brought them here and said they were for you", Mingyu innocently replied.

"What did he look like?", Jeonghan asked again.

"Pretty good to be honest."

Jeonghan threw him an annoyed glance.

"Oh, you meant objectively... well, he was a little shorter than you, black hair and looked as if he had lost his will to live a long time ago", Mingyu said with a chuckle.

S.Coups was about the same height as Jeonghan, so it couldn't have been him. Must have been another one of his henchmen. Going outside must be too dangerous for him anyway, since everyone was looking for him.

Jeonghan sighed, feeling the paranoia that had built up inside him. Maybe the boy wasn't even working for S.Coups and was just a delivery boy doing his job. Maybe all of this had nothing to do with S.Coups at all and someone was just trying to make a really bad joke.

And Jeonghan tried to believe that, he really did, but deep inside his brain he knew that it would be too much of a coincidence if nothing of this was connected to S.Coups. And since his encounter in the prison, he just didn't know what to believe anymore.

Jeonghan closed the door of his office and fell back into the blue couch. He massaged his temples and tried to get at least a little bit of peace and quiet before he had to go back into the world doing his job.

The flowers, however remained on his desk and eventually were even put in a vase. He didn't have the heart to throw them away until they were completely withered. Because they were actually really pretty.