Heart of S(e)oul

Parallel Lines

5 years ago, Kim Jong Kook handed the woman he love to his best friend, Yoon Kye Sang. In hopes of making her and him happy, he never confessed and left to the states to continue his business career. He had heard of them over the years, always wishing for their endless happiness. He had avoided visiting them as he pour all his heart into becoming better, gaining the respect and network all over the states and parts of Asia.

Time started drifting. Days to months, months to years. Jong Kook gathered the walls against his heart to not feel anything for any woman as Honey had left her mark. Even though he can’t have her, he will always rest assure to know that she is living well.

5 years passed and he was still sitting in his office room, in the biggest corporation in the states, looking at his work until a phone call. With that one phone call, he rushed back to South Korea after finding out some terrible news.

What would have happened for him to rush back in a hurry after rejecting invites from the early years and canceling all his appointments?

In 14 hours, he landed in the heart of South Korea, home. His men were there to fetch him as they heard that the main chairman/President of Diamonds is coming to Seoul. The 14 hours on the plane were the longest 14 hours of his life, as if 14 decades have gone by.

Without even greeting or a word to them, he ordered for them to immediately head to the capital’s hospital. He loosened the black tie around his neck as he entered the hospital and made his way to the elevator.

The nurses were amazed to see such a handsome man in suit to be with them in the elevator but the army of men behind him made them scare. There was no smile on his face, only grim anger and anxiety.

As the elevator ring to the 12th level, he stepped out and headed towards a room to only find it empty.

His secretary hurriedly asked where the patient went and with only one reply, Jong Kook felt his heart drop, clenching his fist. They were scared, everyone in the hospital was scared, the directors and doctors, all of them.

It can’t be, it can’t be true. I won’t believe it until I see it.

“Sir, there is a call from Joo Ji Hoon.” Jong Kook immediately took the call.

“Hyung,” Ji Hoon called him. “why didn’t you let me finish talking!?”

“Where are you now?” Jong Kook demanded as his voice grew rasp.

*****

The car made its way to a funeral site. Jong Kook didn’t dare to look at the building, his hands shaking, sweating.

“Sir, we’re here.”

He lightly look out the window and drew a deep breath before getting out. The men follow him as they could see their boss trembling. Never had they seen him this in state from all the years they had work for him. With every step he took as he entered the funeral hall, it became heavier, his heart beated faster. Even now, the cold hearted business man couldn’t even put on his cold mask but an anxious look. He heard weeping and saw men and women dressed in black clothing circling the area.

He held his breath as he finally entered the room only to see what he had been hoping wouldn’t be true. There, sat the family of the deceased as they wore striped bands on their arm. White chrysanthemums were decorated around the picture and room. People drunk the soju and were eating as others were crying.

No…No…

He reached the picture as everyone finally notice him and his few men that stopped at the door.

Honey…

He touched the frame and moved his finger across her smile on the picture. She was still so beautiful, even more when he last saw her five years ago. He missed her badly, always wishing for her happiness. But here she is, dead and gone even before he ever got to see her again. The only woman he loved had died.

“Jong Kook Hyung,” a familiar voice called him. Ji Hoon stepped up and touched his shoulder. “You’re back… Go have seat.”

“How did she die?” Jong Kook managed to whisper as his voice cracked.

“Don’t be like this.”

“How did she die?” this time he made sure that his voice was loud and clear.

“It was my fault.” another voice came from behind them. Kye Sang stood there with his black suit on and the two striped band on his arm. Jong Kook furiously turned to him as Ji Hoon shook his head. Kye Sang’s eyes were swollen with a few bruises and cuts on his face, is cheeks sunken, his face pale.

Jong Kook stepped up to him as anger and coldness immensely burned in his eyes and fist.

“Why?”

“Because of me.” Still no emotion could be seen but only sadness as Kye Sang choked out those words to Jong Kook. Both men were hurting. Jong Kook grabbed his shirt collar immediately.

“Because of you? Of all people, it has to be you?” Jong Kook demanded this time as his voice shook with anger. “Tell me the truth!”

Kye Sang’s lips tremble as he looked up at Jong Kook. tears gleamed in his eyes. “I’m sorry…”

That pissed off Jong Kook even more as he threw a punch at Kye Sang. He started punching him and beating him up badly but Kye Sang didn’t fight back. Ji Hoon and the others interfered and tried to stop Jong Kook, because it looked like he seriously wanted to kill Kye Sang.

Kye Sang was thrown over one of the short tables and Jong Kook punched his jaw, causing him a bloody nose and a few bruises and more cuts. He got on top of him and started hitting him harder.

“Jong Kook Hyung, stop it!” Ji Hoon demanded. “It’s not his fault!” as he grabbed Jong Kooks big shoulders. Jong Kook pulled Kye Sang’s shirt collar as he groan in pain.

“Didn’t I tell you to take care of her?” Jong Kook asked angrily. “I told you to make her happy.” then he pointed to Honey’s funeral picture, “Are you happy now? And why did you rush the funeral? Now I will never get to see her ever again!” Jong Kook yelled as tears stream down his red eyes and got off of Kye Sang. He pushed Ji Hoon aside and went to kneel at Honey’s ritual. He didn’t let out a sound as tears came down like a waterfall. The blood on his fist still dripped fresh.

It’s my fault. All my fault. Sorry Honey, for letting you down.