Recruitment

Parallel Lines

Ji Hoon sat across the table from Jong Kook. Now that it was late, the funeral hall was empty with only the three friends. Jong Kook gulped down the drink and as Kye Sang sat in silence. Ji Hoon pour more for all of them.

“I haven’t seen you in five years and the first thing you do is cause a fight and ruckus. You still haven’t changed Hyung.” Ji Hoon tried to lighten up the situation.

Back in the days in high school and college, Jong Kook was a part of the wrestling club where he bullied many weak students. Although he bullied them just for fun, he made sure never to actually hurt them. Ji Hoon was from a part of the neighborhood as he lived with his uncle and aunt. The trio grew up together as Kye Sang was an orphan who often got into trouble, they became friends when they were being ganged up on a late night coming home. Like fate, they became friends like brothers who helped each other, even attending the same university.

That’s where they met Honey Lee, another orphan who was really… out of the ordinary. She entered the wrestling club after Jong Kook embarrassed her friend in front of the whole school tournament. She learned fast and started fights with him all the time. But however as he grew to like her, he found out that she and Kye Sang were classmates.

The four years of knowing her in college made him close to her. Kye Sang had told him multiple times about a woman who captured his heart, he kept encouraging Kye Sang to only find out that it was Honey that he had fallen for. After they graduated from college, they all had kept in contact. Honey and Kye Sang started dating for 3 years before they got married, leaving Jong Kook broken hearted.

Ji Hoon had become a Director at Kye Sang’s business and Honey was an architecture. They combined together as a powerful group in Korea’s corporations until Kye Sang had decided to surge into the underground world.

A few snaps and a deal went wrong, causing Kye Sang to be in trouble. The Red Empire, Japanese gang, captured Honey for ransom and deals from Kye Sang. He gave them everything they asked for, whether it was shares, bonds, money. In the end of the exchange, he only found her as she fell from the third floor building to the ground in front of him.

“Suffered multiple blows to the head and back. Even if she had survive, she would have been paralyzed, maybe even blind. She died on the way to the hospital, miscarried…” Ji Hoon summed up to Jong Kook. He took the bottles of soju and chugged them down.

“Who did it?”

“Red Empire.”

“Red empire…” Jong Kook repeated slowly, making Ji Hoon look up at him.

“Katashi…that ing lying b*st*rd…” Kye Sang curse as he got drunk and lied his head on the table.

Jong Kook only glared at him.

“Ji Hoon,” Jong Kook called him.

“Yes hyung?”

“Do you feel bad for Honey?”

“Hyung…” Ji Hoon didn’t know what to say, deep in his heart, Honey had always been like an older sister to him.

“Let’s do it.” Jong Kook said and pushed Kye Sang’s head.

“Do what?” Ji Hoon asked curiously.

“Kill those punks.” Jong Kook sipped another cup.

“How are you going to do that? You’re not even a part of the underground.”

“Well, I can make one right?” Jong Kook asked. Kye Sang looked up at Jong Kook who leisurely spoke.

“How-“

“I have my ways.” Jong Kook stood up to leave. Before he exited the room he called out to them once again. “I’m still mad at you. If you want to regain the last bit of respect from me, then you better do it now.” then he left and Kye Sang laid back on the mat. Ji Hoon banged his head with his hands before walking up to Honey’s portrait.

“Jong Kook Hyung is doing the right thing, right Noona?” he questioned. “I’ll take care of them, rest in peace.” as he put another flower around her.

****

Jong Kook ordered for his men to meet up and started gathering organizations for the best men in the underground world. Having the powerful connection he had, he was able to garner many experts, thus creating his own sophisticated gang, White Tiger.

Except for only one man, a great hacker and assassin refused to be recruited. Jong Kook personally went to meet him.

“Why should I join you?” the boy who looked like he was almost 20 years old snickered at him in a nonchalant manner.

“Yoo Seung Hoo right?” Jong Kook put his chin on his hands that crossed each other as he leaned forward to check out the boy in front of him. “You seem to look like a flower boy that people talk about these days.” making Seung Hoo chuckled in annoyance.

“Ahjussi, that doesn’t work on me ok?”

Jong Kook snapped his fingers and a black suit case is brought to the table as it was opened, a pile of money sat in there. Seung Hoo looked up at him.

“You seem to have the wrong idea here ahjussi. I work for the excitement, not the money.”

“You will need it soon.” Jong Kook sat back and crossed his legs. “I heard that you are a part of Sky huh? Like it, the way they treat you?” Jong Kook asked playfully before turning serious again. “The way they treat your middle school brother.” That made Seung Hoo flinch.

“I heard they will make him a scape goat if you fail any missions. That’s why you never fail. Oh yeah, they bought you as a slave too huh?”

“What are you trying to say here?” Seung Hoo snapped and stomped up.

“Join me. I’m willing to buy your independence from them.”

“M-my independence???” He stuttered with his jaw dropping. “You know I can just kill you right here right now!”

“But you haven’t have you?” Jong Kook smiled. “I will buy your independence and protect your brother for the time being. Finish the job for me and you are free forever. I will send you both abroad with the money here and even hire you legally. With this one job, you are free forever, no one can tie you down or hurt your family.”

“I-impossible. That’s a lie.”

“I’m not lying to you. As long as you work for me, I will be sure that your brother is safe and well raised.”

“If you are really a man, then prove it. I have seen many bluffing like you.” He was about to leave when the leader of Sky gang entered the warehouse. “B-boss.” The leader glared at him before walking to Jong Kook. He couldn’t leave as his boss was still there.

“What brings you here, Mr. Kim?” Sky leader asked.

“Simple, I want your man, Yoo Seung Hoo.” the man’s eyes widen and looks over at Seung Hoo who couldn’t believe what he heard.

“He is just a simple asset. Why would you need him?”

“He is an important asset to me.” Jong Kook stated. He pushed another suit case to the man. “Is this enough?”

“This is?” he saw the suitcases opened and filled up with US and Korean dollars and a contract.

“Sign this and the money is yours.” Jong Kook commanded. The man looked back and forth, still thinking. He quickly signed the paper as Jong Kook ordered the men to take it away.

With that Jong Kook stood up to walk to Seung Hoo who couldn’t believe what just happened. He handed the contract that promised his independence from Sky. He was free now. He didn’t know if it was fear or excitement.

“It’s all yours.” Jong Kook said.

“My brother-“

“He’s safe and alive,” That brought his attention back to Jong Kook. He patted Seung Hoo’s shoulder.

“The man. You can do whatever you want to him. Kill him or let him live.” then he left with all his men.

The Sky leader was about to walk pass him and spat at his feet. “Consider yourself lucky punk. Give that to me!” He tried to grab the contract in Seung Hoo’s hand but he dodged it. “Not giving it to me?” He took out his gun but Seung Hoo pulled it aside and combo punched him before doing a backward kick.

Seung Hoo went up to him with the gun that fell out of his grasp. He started kicking the leader until he begged for him to stop. Seung Hoo shot his knee cap, making him scream in pain.

“That’s for making my brother a crippled you animal!” He shot another bullet on his other knee cap making blood drizzle on the dusty ground. He pleaded for forgiveness from Seung Hoo but he shot his shoulder.

“Go to hell.” Seung Hoo whispered finally and shot him in the head and body multiple times before all the bullets went out, leaving a dead mutilated body that is almost unrecognizable.

He got out of the place and found Jong Kook outside with his younger brother.

“Hyung!” The boy ran to him limping. He quickly held him from tripping. They hugged each other as Jong Kook was about to leave.

“Ahjussi, hold on!” Jong Kook turn back to see him as he ran up to him.

“What is it?”

“I’m in. White Tiger.” and that made Jong Kook curved up his lips. His plan was going smoothly.