White Lies

Who's To Blame???

 

Chapter 7

 

Dinner at Boom

 

“So what’s your verdict? How do you like the food?” asked Jackson, like a child waiting for approval.

“Surprisingly, it’s really good,” responded Mark, as he took another spoonful of the tiramisu he was having for dessert.

“I can tell,” smirked Jackson, as he reached across the table to wipe the corner of Mark’s upper lip with his finger. If that gesture alone didn’t cause Mark’s heart to beat fast, Mark almost nearly choked when Jackson proceeded to then his finger.

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked an embarrassed Mark, as his face reddened.

“What?” pouted Jackson. “You refused to share a dessert with me, so I had to get a taste any way possible.”

“I told you to order your own dessert,” hissed Mark.

“And I told you I wanted to share a dessert so that I could feed you and then we can have an indirect kiss when we shared a fork.”

“And just like that, I lost my appetite,” said Mark, as he put his fork down.

“Aww come on, you only had a few bites. You know you want some more,” teased Jackson.

“Do you always come on this strong and try this hard?” asked Mark.

“Actually…no. Never had to. You’re definitely the first and hopefully the last,” smiled Jackson.

Before Mark could answer, they were interrupted by someone saying, “Gaga.”

 

Jackson looked up and saw two familiar faces. “Ma, Pa…what are you doing here?” asked a happy, but surprised Jackson.

“Your mother and I stopped in for a little dessert,” said Mr. Wang.

“What are you doing here Gaga?” asked Mrs. Wang. “And who’s this handsome young man you are with? A new friend?” as she smiled.

“Umm…actually this is my new boss,” said Jackson. “Mark these are my parents. Ma, Pa this is Mark Tuan of Tuan Corporation.”

Mark got up and bowed, “Mr. and Mrs. Wang, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Oh,” said Mrs. Wang as her and her husband nodded their heads to acknowledge Mark, but lost the smiles that they had just given him before.

“Excuse me. I’ll be waiting for you over there dear,” said Mr. Wang, as he dismissed himself.

“Gaga walk me to the door,” said Mrs. Wang. “Excuse us,” said Mrs. Wang.

“I’ll be right back,” said Jackson.

“Take your time,” said Mark. “I'll just head to the bathroom.”

 

Mark walked in the bathroom, kind of in a daze. Guess they know who and what I am. Why does it bother me what they think though? As he was walking out the bathroom after washing his hands, he heard Jackson’s voice. Not one to pry or be rude, but he had to stop after hearing his name being mentioned.

 

“Ma, what’s the big deal? I’m just having dinner with Mark and he’s my boss,” said Jackson.

“We don’t like you associating yourself with his kind,” said Mr. Wang.

“We understand you have to work with him Gaga because we need the business. But this is outside normal work hours. What if someone gets the wrong idea?” said Mrs. Wang.

“Even seemed like you guys were flirting to me,” said Mr. Wang.

“Come on Pa. You know it’s all an act,” lied Jackson. “Like you said, we need this account. I’m just doing whatever it takes to make sure we keep it.”

“See dear. I told you Gaga knows what he’s doing,” said Mrs. Wang. “You’re just over reacting.”

“Fine. Just don’t take it too far. We’ll see you later.”

“Okay. Bye Ma, bye Pa,” said Jackson, as he kissed his mom on the cheek.

 

After hearing Jackson’s conversation with his parents, Mark couldn’t help but feel a little angry and hurt. Why do I feel like I’ve been rejected? Why am I even feeling like this? I just met him and he’s nobody to me, so there’s no logical reasoning for me to feel hurt and angry right? It’s best if I just leave and distance myself from Jackson. Just keep it strictly professional from now on.

 

When Jackson returned to their table, he was surprised to see that the table was cleared and Mark was nowhere in sight. Hmm…the table is cleared. That’s weird. And Mark’s not back from the bathroom?

“Excuse me, waiter,” said Jackson.

“Yes sir.”

“Could you go check to see if my date is still in the bathroom?”

“No need sir. Your date already left.”

“What? He left? And the bill?” asked Jackson.

“He paid before he left. Seemed a bit flustered too.”

Why would he just leave without saying anything? And it was supposed to be my treat too.

“Last question. Can you tell me where the bathroom is?” asked Jackson.

“It’s in the direction where you just came from sir. I’m surprised you missed your date. He walked out from the bathroom around the same time you were talking to the older couple earlier.”

“Oh . Are you sure you saw him standing there?”

“Positive sir. You can’t forget a handsome face like that,” smiled the waiter.

“Hey. That’s my date you’re talking about,” said Jackson.

“Sorry sir. I couldn’t help it.”

“No worries. Thanks for the info. Let me pay you for your troubles.”

“No need sir. Your date left me more than enough.”

 

I have to clear it with Mark ASAP. Why does he always catch me at the most inappropriate times. I need to get his cell phone number. Who do I call? His secretary? But I don’t have her number. Oh wait I know someone better.

 

“Hey BamBam, it’s Jackson.”

“Hi hyung. How are you?”

“Good good. How are you?”

“Pretty good.”

“I kinda need your help with Mark.”

“Is something wrong with Mark hyung?” asked BamBam.

“Oh no he’s fine. I just need his cell phone number,” said Jackson.

“You’re funny hyung. You’re his boyfriend. You should have his number,” laughed BamBam.

Oh . The kid’s right. Think Jackson think.

“Ah…long story short, Mark lost his phone and being the good boyfriend that I am, I got him a new phone and I want to put all of his contacts on it for him. But I’m at the Apple store right now and I left my personal cell phone at the office and can’t remember Mark’s cell by heart,” lied Jackson. Please buy the story…please buy the story.

“What kind of boyfriend doesn’t know their boyfriend’s number by heart?” teased BamBam.

“Well in my defense, I just have him saved under Babe,” laughed Jackson.

“Eww…you guys are so gross, it’s cute,” giggled BamBam. “I just texted you Mark hyung’s number.”

“Thanks BamBam. You’re a life savior,” said Jackson, relieved that BamBam actually believed him.

“You owe me hyung.”

“Hmm…I may have someone I can introduce you too,” teased Jackson.

“Is he as handsome as Mark hyung and Jackson hyung?”

“I can’t say as handsome as Mark and I, but pretty close,” laughed Jackson.

“Great. I’ll hold you to that promise. Gotta go. Talk to you later hyung. Good luck with Mark hyung.”

“Thanks. Later,” said Jackson.

He’s a cute kid. JB is gonna like him.

 

As Mark was driving home, he received an incoming call from an unrecognizable number.

Wonder who’s calling me on my cell. If it’s for work, they should have my work number. Guess I should pick up just in case.

 

“Hello, Mark speaking.”

“Thank god. Hey Mark, it’s me. Let me ex…” said Jackson, as he was cut off and met with a hang up tone.

How did he get my number? He’s the last person I want to talk to right now.

 

Jackson tries calling Mark again and it goes straight to voicemail. After like the 20th attempt and leaving voicemails begging for Mark to pick up, he finally gives up and sends a last pleading text.

 

Mark. Please let me explain what you might have heard. You know the situation that I’m in. I don’t want to do this over text. Answer the phone or call me back please…=(

 

So I'm back. Sorry for the long hiatus. Just been busy with work and life. I promised myself that I'll try to read and write more this year, so here I am. Let me know if you guys are still interested in this story. If not, I'll let it go and start another one. I also have my two other stories to finish too. Any who, hope you guys enjoy this chapter.