Target Acquired

Who's To Blame???

Chapter 6

Coffee shop…

“Congrats on finally getting the account,” said JB.

“Did you ever doubt me?” replied Jackson.

“Please. I knew you were initially turned down by Mark; which I find hilarious by the way. The Wild and y Jackson got denied,” laughed JB.

“Who told you that?”

“I have my sources,” smirked JB. “So what made him change his mind?”

“My body of course,” replied a smug Jackson.

“Care to elaborate?”

“A gentleman never kisses and tells.”

“You want me to believe you had with Mark? The number one most eligible hot bachelor?”

“Hey I thought I was number one,” pouted Jackson.

“Well you thought wrong. Anywho now that you’re working for him, you think you can introduce us?”

“No.”

“What? Why not?”

“Cause he’s mine,” said Jackson, nonchalantly.

“Please. You’re not even out and according to your parents you’re straight. Speaking of which, what do they think of you working with Mark?”

“They had their worries at first, but business is business. As long as their precious son isn’t gay, they don’t really care. I’m still friends with you aren’t I?”

“Yeah, cause you told them I was straight.”

“Did I? I forgot.”

“Don’t give me that bs. Your mom always ask when I’m getting a girlfriend and even said she’ll find someone suitable for me.”

“As long as it’s not me,” laughed Jackson.

“. So you ready for tomorrow?”

Jackson nodded, “I can’t wait.”

 

Monday morning…

“Good Morning,” said Jackson, as he gave Mark’s secretary a y smile.

“Morning Mr. Jackson,” swooned the secretary.

“Didn’t I tell you to just call me Jackson.”

“Oops I forgot. Congrats on getting the job.”

“Thanks. Is the boss in yet?”

“Yes. Mr. Tuan is always here early. He arrives even before I do. He asked me to arrange a work desk for you. I hope you don’t mind sitting next to me.”

“I’d be an idiot to mind sitting next to someone as beautiful as you. But I’m afraid there’s been a mistake. I’ll actually be sitting in there with the boss.”

“Wait, really? Mr. Tuan didn’t tell me that. Let me go check with him.”

“No need. I’ll go talk to him myself.”

“Um…I don’t think that’s a good idea. Mr. Tuan doesn’t like it when people barge in unannounced. I wouldn’t want you to get in trouble on your first day of work.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. And if he tries to blame you, I’ll take the fall.”

“Okay…it’s your head, not mine. G’luck.”

Jackson knocked on Mark’s door. “Come in.” Mark looked up and said,” Oh, it’s just you. Can I help you with something?”

“And here I thought you’d be happy to see my face first thing in the morning,” pouted Jackson.

“Don’t make me throw up my breakfast. What are you doing in here anyways?”

“Speaking of breakfast, thanks for cooking for me the other day. It was delicious.”

“Again…what are you doing in my office?” asked an annoyed Mark.

“I’m setting up shop.”

“Your desk is outside by my secretary. Didn’t she tell you?”

“Oh she did. I just didn’t like the location.”

“And where would your majesty like to be seated?” patronized Mark.

“In here with you of course. Your face makes for better scenery than your secretary.”

“Not happening.”

“Why not? You have plenty of room in here.”

“Because I don’t want to be in the same room as you longer than necessary.”

“Afraid?” teased Jackson.

“Afraid of what?”

“Of falling for me of course.”

“And why would I fall for someone who’s straight?”

“How many times do I have to tell you that I’m gay?” sighed Jackson. “Should I prove it to you?” as he crept closer to Mark.

“Don’t come any closer,” stumbled Mark.

“Or what?” smirked Jackson, his lips. “Gonna scream?”

“No. I’m not a weak innocent drama actress,” stuttered Mark.

“But you’re a . So close enough,” laughed Jackson. Mark gulped. “Where’s the strong confident business Mark or the overly ual drunk Mark now?”

He’s right. I’m the boss here. So I have the power.

Jackson saw the suddenly shift in Mark’s demeanor.

“Cut it out,” commanded Mark. “And before you ask what if you don’t, the answer is I’ll fire you.”

Jackson deflated. “You’re such a killjoy,” pouted Jackson. “I just wanted to lighten the mood. You’re always so serious and unapproachable.”

“No I’m not.”

“Please. Your secretary is terrified of you.”

“I’m her boss. There should be boundaries; clearly something you know nothing about.”

“But I’m special.”

“-Ed,” added Mark.

“Hardy har har. Very funny. But seriously though, I am gay and available,” winked Jackson.

Mark rolled his eyes. “Let’s say I believe you for a second. Why lie about it?”

“It’s complicated,” sighed Jackson.

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to,” said Mark.

“No, it’s okay. Long story short, my parents would never approve of me being gay. So I pretend to be straight.”

“A little too convincing if you ask me.”

“What can I say, I’m used to living a lie,” sighed Jackson.

“You know it’s not up to them though. It’s your life. Live it the way you want.”

“I know. It’s just I’m their only son and they expect me to have a wife and kids to carry on the family name. You know how parents can be.” Mark just nodded. “How did your parents handle it?”

“I lucked out. They said they’ll love me no matter what. And that I’ll always be their son, regardless of my ual orientation.”

“That’s awesome. I wish my parents were as accepting.”

“Have you tried bringing up the subject?”

“No. I wouldn’t even know where to start. Whenever anything gay related pops up, they just shut down. They initially didn’t even want me to take this account, but we really need the money. Business isn’t as good as it used to be.”

“Guess I won’t be invited to any family dinners anytime soon then huh?” joked Mark, trying to cheer Jackson up.

“Depends on what role; as my boss or boyfriend,” teased Jackson.

Mark rolled his eyes. “As a gay man in general.”

“You know if you keep rolling your eyes at me, they’ll eventually get stuck.” Mark was going to roll his eyes again, then stopped. Jackson laughed, “Enough about my depressing life. After I set up my desk. I’ll show you my new proposal.”

“Didn’t I say no.”

“Fine. I’ll sit out there with your secretary. That way, we can swap stories about the boss. I have a few to share: me pretending to be your boyfriend, you getting drunk, and us sleeping together.”

“Nothing happened,” growled Mark.

“She doesn’t know that,” teased Jackson. “I’ll be outside if you need me for anything.”

“Ugh…fine. You stay in your corner. Don’t face me and don’t bother me while I work.”

“Yes boss,” saluted Jackson, grinning widely. Yes. Another point for me.

 

A while later…

“I must say I’m impressed,” said Mark. “And in such a short amount of time too.”

“Thanks boss. I take my work seriously. I figured out why you turned down my initial proposal.” Mark raised his eyebrow in question. “It lacked that personal element that you desire.”

“And how’d you come to that conclusion?”

“It came to me as I was walking through your apartment after breakfast.”

“Didn’t I tell you to leave right after you ate and not to touch anything?”

“I didn’t touch anything and I couldn’t leave right away. I had to wait for my car. Any who… your place is modern yet homely. There were aspects of your family and childhood throughout the apartment, so I figured I would incorporate that into my design for the renovation.”

He got me in such a short amount of time.

“So do you approve?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Yay!!! We have to celebrate. Let’s go out for drinks.”

“No. I’m never drinking around you again remember?”

“Come on. It’s a major account for me. How about I treat you to dinner then?”

“I’m paying your salary, so technically I’m treating myself. I’ll pass.”

“Don’t be a spoilsport. You have to eat right? Please..,” begged Jackson.

I have to quit falling for his antics.

“I guess, since I’m hungry.”

“Yes!!! You won’t regret it, I promise.”

M4: Mission Make Mark Mine in progress!!! Fighting Jackson!!! You got this!!!