SEVEN

Avoiding Mr. Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER VII:

 

Despite his disastrous nature, Luhan’s apartment was completely opposite.

Rahyun relaxed her stretched-out legs on the leather couch and nicked a few of the Ferrero Rochers that was deserted on his coffee table. If only she had known he was only going to waste them like this she wouldn’t have bothered buying them for him- or in this case, make Jongup buy it for him.

“I see you’re enjoying my gift,” she said in mid-chew.

Her friend looked at her in disgust, “Close your mouth when you chew food; you have the manners of a sailor,” he dropped himself next to her to sit, “And I’ve been out of the flat these days so I couldn’t really live here. I even found rotten food in my fridge- it was morbid.”

“But you didn’t have any business trips or meetings,” she pointed out.

“Ah, but I do have a girlfriend.”

Rahyun rolled her eyes, “Han, it’s been 3 years with this girl. You’d better stop calling her your girlfriend and start with fiancé before she discovers your inner nerd-self and ditches you.”

He scoffed and snatched back the chocolate in her hands before popping it into his mouth, “Hey that’s not just some girl you’re talking about, that’s my girlfriend!” a pause, “And I’ll have you know that she doesn’t mind nerds.”

“Does she know about your Rubik’s cube gallery?” Rahyun started.

“That is basic knowled-“

“Your Manchester United Hall of Fame?”

“Well she likes Liverpool but she’s fine with-“

“Extreme shopaholic tendencies?”

Luhan gasped, “It is not a tendency but a hobby! And she likes shopping too!”

“Don’t tell me… your Starbucks addiction?”

“Sure, why not.”

Rahyun was completely mind-blown. “Well then she’s cleared all the levels. Now all you have to do is put a ring on it.”

Her best friend had quite a laughing fit hearing her talk, “Oh, I’m sorry but hearing you say that- you’ve got to be joking.”

Rahyun crossed her arms in defence, feeling slightly insulted by Luhan’s sniggers. The latter noticed her stance and ceased his laughter, coughing to hide what was left. “No offence Rahyun, but you’d be the last person I’d go to for marriage consultation.”

She pursed her lips in mild annoyance, “Very funny. You’ve made it like I’m completely against marriage.”

“Aren’t you?” He pursued, feeling curious himself, “Isn’t that why you’ve been cooking up all these strategies to ruin the dates bubby’s set you up to?”

Rahyun threw him a stray throw-pillow, “I’m not an android, Luhan. I do have feelings.”

“A cyborg, then?”

The man automatically raised his two hands up in self defence but froze when he felt no advances from the other party. He looked up at his friend and saw her pressing down a smile.

“I have to admit- that was a good one,” she eyed him over, “From that big mouth of yours.”

His eyes lit up, “I do cherish your compliments.”

Rahyun’s eyes glazed over a couple of the crumpled chocolate wrappers lying around the table and felt her hands itch to throw them away. She fisted them and urgently changed her view to Luhan’s questioning expression.

“So why all this?”

She breathed out tiredly, hearing the same question from her bubby almost all the time.

“I... I don’t particularly despise the idea of marriages. It’s just that I couldn’t picture myself involved in any of that commitment with anyone yet. I mean- I’ve got a lot at stake. My carrier, my future, and most importantly I don’t want to waste my life on a marriage that was doomed from the start. I don’t have the courage to just throw things away for the sake of one relationship. It doesn’t make sense- and it’s too much of a risk.”

Luhan bit the insides of his cheeks in thought before shrugging, “I get you- kind of- but when you’re in a relationship, Rahyun, -“

“I have dating experience Han.” She snapped, “I’m not a nun.”

He groaned, “Fine. When you have a meaningful relationship,”

The woman looked at him indignantly, “Pardon you mister- who gave you the right to judge-“

“Let me finish!” he snapped. Seeing that the other had hesitantly sealed shut, he continued, “So as I was saying... when you’ve met the person, you wouldn’t care if you were dating, engaged, or married. A relationship is not entirely based on the status itself. It would be rooted on the person you are having that connection with.” Luhan smiled, “It takes two to tango- scratch that- it takes two to dance. The type doesn’t matter; ballet, jazz, or whatever. They don’t mean a thing if the two dancers can’t pull it off. Now all I’m telling you is that the title of your relationship wouldn’t be a problem if you yourselves weren’t a problem. That’s the real invitation for divorce; when you can no longer communicate with each other. You hear me?”

Rahyun blinked, still debating in her head whether it was really Luhan that was talking to her.

“Wow, that was a full on speech.” Luhan whistled, “I should run for president.”

She scoffed, “What a sight that would be.”

Hearing the bit of life in her voice again, he smiled brightly. It seemed that he had cleared up some of the fog in her thoughts and he hoped it was enough to guide her through whatever predicament she was in.

“But you understand what I meant right?” Luhan questioned her once more.

Rahyun nodded with a distant expression, “I do. Thanks.”

She settled with her thoughts silently for some time, not realising that the clock was slowly moving forward with each second passing.

Suddenly Luha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter