SIX

Avoiding Mr. Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER VI:

 

They somehow ended up in the barbeque restaurant Rahyun had suggested earlier to Joonmyeon. It all started with her asking him if he had dinner for he hadn’t spoken a single word since they’d left the bistro. He replied with a “Well I haven’t had dinner yet,” and let her drag him into a meal.

Yongguk wasn’t much of a speaker, Rahyun concluded after spending more than 5 minutes of stifling silence with the said man. He avoided her eye contact and paid most of his attention to the selection of meat from the menu that was hanging off the wall.

She would’ve been grateful if he was as talkative as Joonmyeon was so she could spare the awkwardness and the suffocating atmosphere. Rahyun would’ve sworn that she had seen the waiter hesitating to come and take their orders because they were just sitting there quietly like a bunch of dummies.

The last time she was this uncomfortable was during her 7th grade school prom. Now what a nightmare that was.

Not being able to stomach anymore of the muteness, she spoke, “How… how bad was it?”

Yongguk blinked slowly as if to digest what she had said, “Pardon?”

“Being stuck with me,” she was beginning to get tired of his staccato-like answers, “I mean, being stuck with drunk me. Luhan had said a couple of times that I get really pesky when I drink alcohol.” A ‘couple of times’ should be an understatement. He usually pesters her about it whenever he got the chance, “I was only wondering if I did you any wrong.”

The man in front of her gazed at her quietly before shifting back to the plate before him. “You were singing.” At the time, Rahyun was trying to find any windows she could jump out of because if she couldn’t do one thing for the love of her life, it was to sing. Yongguk gave out a small smile before adding, “Quite badly too.”

“I hope I haven’t damaged your eardrums,” she joked, relieved to see him smiling.

Yongguk touched his ears consciously, “I hope not,” he grinned wider, “I need these for a living.”

Rahyun had quite a difficult time taking her eyes off the bright smile on his face. It was big and gummy- which reminded her of Kris’ and was an absolute contrast from the cold muteness he was a few minutes ago.

“You work in the music industry?” she asked, “I’m sorry but I don’t remember anything from that night we met.”

He shook his head to indicate that it was no big deal and let his eyes wander back to the menu on the wall. “It’s okay, really. And yes- I do music.” His eyes brightened as he spoke, “I compose a few things… produce some more things… slap my name on them, and pray.”

“Pray?” She inquired.

A glance was what he gave her- a meaningful one, “It’s all to hope for the best. The public’s ears are extremely picky- only some masterpieces would stay in their hearts to take a meaning, and the rest will be forgotten.”

Rahyun eyed him with interest, “Do you create these masterpieces?”

She saw him divert his eyes from the menu and land on to hers, probably digging up some answers for her. He placed his elbow on the table and perched his chin onto the palm of his hand, seeming much more comfortable than he was before.

“Only when I pray,” he said lightly, studying her reactions.

The waiter came in just then, carrying a big plate full of rolled up meat to place between them. Yongguk stayed silent as the man set up the grill to work and arranged the vegetables and sauce. He eyed the variety of foods on the tray and picked up two bowls of rice before handing one to Rahyun.

She nodded in thanks and continued to wait as the waiter took his time in setting the table. From a corner of her eye, she saw Yongguk staring shamelessly at the meat by his side. She could just see the drool rolling down his chin.

It was easier than she thought it’d be- talking to Yongguk. He wasn’t pretentious, nor was he obscenely obnoxious like some of the people she’d met in her life. The thought of her dragging him into all of this drama made her feel like a sinner in church.

Her train of thoughts vanished once she noticed him manning the grill, flipping each piece of meat for it to cook properly. “Let me do it,” she offered, extending her hand to receive the throngs, “It’s the least I could do.”

Yongguk looked at her in amusement, “I believe you are paying, are you not?” She thought that after stringing him along to have dinner with her, it was probably the most ethical thing to do, so she nodded, “If I am?”

“Then you do not owe me anything,” he quipped, still flipping away their dinner.

“Why are you so nice about this?” Rahyun questioned, feeling mildly confused, “What’s in it for you?”

Yongguk laughed, “Would you rather me being mean? What kind of terrible people are you associating yourself with? I’m just being a generally mannered person.” He stole a glance at her, “And wouldn’t it be obvious what’s in it for me?”

Rahyun’s face was blank, waiting for him to continue.

“Free food.” The man answered, smiling as he heard her scoff. “I’m sorry. I must’ve spent too much time around Luhan again. And yes- he’s quite terrible.”

Yongguk raised his eyebrow, and her eyes automatically noticed the thin cuts near

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter