Chapter 9

Baby, Can't You Sea?

CHAPTER 9

"Normally you take your first date out to pizza and a movie or something, but seriously? The boardwalk?" Junhong raised his eyebrow to look at the senior.
"Considering the fact that we've already done that as an unofficial group date..."
"True..." the younger walked next to the other nervously, his heart beating fast and his palms sweaty.
"Have you ever been to the carnival on the eastern end?"
"Of course not, that's Tako territory, why would a calamari kid go there?"
"Well then, you don't know what you have been missing." Yongguk grinned at the younger, grabbing his hand and leading him toward where the sunset looked more like a collage of lights moving in a perfect disarray as darkness was ever so slowly creeping across the sky like a sheer veil. 
"Are you sure that nobody will recognize me?" Junhong asked as he looked up at the older boy, unsure of the other's judgment in the situation. 
"Here, put this on if you're so worried." Yongguk took off his hoodie and gave it to the younger, "It's big on me so it should fit you since you're taller."
The dongsaeng bowed slightly as he put the hoodie on, he forgot a sweater since he was wearing a long sleeve shirt, muttering a thanks.
Junhong and Yongguk walked side by side a semi-awkward silence. Yongguk didn't know what to do because, despite his demeanor, he'd never been on a date. Junhong on the other hand was reveling in the scent of the hoodie that was Yongguk's. It smelled warm and safe and comfort and vaguely musty- a familiar smell that he couldn't place at the moment.
The younger stared in amazement at the lights he used to only know as glowing specks from afar. Now he could see the roller coasters, a large carousel, and the ferris wheel that seemed to overlook everything. Smaller stands with other games were scattered, the heavy smell of artificially buttered popcorn wafter through the air.
"Pretty cool, huh?" Yongguk grinned at the other as he lead him to the first place, a haunted house.


"Oh my gosh, you were screaming like a girl." Junhong was laughing hysterically at the older who was trying to regain his composure.
"Was not."
"You wanted to go, and you were scared less."
"It grabbed my leg." Yongguk pouted.
"It grazed your leg, hyung." the other looked at the older in amusement.
"It did not." the older protested before saying, "Your pick."
"TO THE ROLLER COASTER..." Junhong said, dragging the now reluctant red head behind him.


"It would've been nice to know you were a thrill junkie before hand." Yongguk said after their third roller coaster, his legs were now shaking. 
"Sorry, hyung. I haven't had this much fun in a while. Usually Youngjae and Jongup like to walk around the couple's stuff so I don't have anyone to go on these rides with." the blue haired boy admitted as he scratched the back of his head.
The two headed over to grad some food, corn dogs and some popcorn. They ate in a contented silence enjoying the loud music blasting and watching the other people.
"Thanks for bringing me." Junghong smiled before taking another bite from his corn dog.
"Thanks for coming." Yongguk said, trying not to choke and think about how much he wanted to be the corn dog...minus the biting part...if the biting was somewhere else, though...the senior tried to clear the thoughts that were creeping into his mind.
"Anything else we haven't done yet?"
"Well, I was thinking about going to the ferris wheel. You up for it?"
"Sure," Junhong responded with a smile that made Yongguk's heart skip beat.
The walk to the ferris wheel seemed like an eternity, the two awkwardly walking side by side.
"You ever been on a ferris wheel before?" Yongguk asked trying to break the tension.
"No. I've spent most of my time at the basketball courts on the Calamari side. Have you?"
"Once when I was five. My sister was on a date and she had to drag me and my brother on with her. I wish I could erase the memory."
"Why?"
"She and her boyfriend were each other's faces off. It was creepy." the elder shivered as they finally arrived. The sophomore interlocked their fingers before saying, "Well, I'm definite that you won't be traumatized this time."
"Uwahhhhhh, Yonggukie, look! We're so high up!!" Junhong was squealing as he began pointing out the view. Yongguk agreed that it was beautiful, but his eyes stayed on the younger, who was so vibrant and energized. Their hands were still linked, neither of them had made the move to let go. By time they reached the top the sun was down and they had been admiring the fireworks when Yongguk finally leaned over.
"Junhong." he said in a deeper voice than normal. The younger looked over to be met with the other boy's face very close to his own. Their eyes met and they stared deeply into each other, their breaths intermingled softly.
As the next round of fireworks began, their lips met.


"Thanks for taking me out tonight." Junhong said as he walked back home, hand in hand, with Yongguk.
"Ah, no, thank you for accepting my request." the elder blushed as the younger squeezed his hand. 
They walked in a content silence until they reached Junhong's house. The two hugged once more and the younger stole a kiss from the elder before parting ways. Yongguk was smiling all the way home, he was lying in bed when he felt his phone buzz:

From: Octo-cutie
Hey! I had a great time tonight! Maybe we can do it again sometime?

Yongguk squealed with joy and had to hide his face in the pillow before texting back that he would love to see the other again. He then drifted off to sleep.


Junhong was lying in bed when he realised that he hadn't returned the hoodie. With a mental shrug he figured he'd return it the next time they saw each other- which would hopefully be soon. Too lazy to take a shower, the younger began to fall asleep in his clothes from the night out. Just as he was about to fall asleep it dawned on him-
the smell,
a redfaced Yongguk who's returned from seeing his brother,
the refusal to hear the cheer he'd written to defeat the squid.

His only love had sprung from his only hate.
Yongguk was the squid.


ProcrastiNote:
Hey lovelies! I know it's been a while...I've been applying to colleges and I was in the winter show at my school (during which my life became a fanfic to be posted at some point). I've had a bit of a writer's block with this story but due to some recent events I've been able to finally finish this chapter! All my stuff is unbetad so I apologize for any mistakes.
Love you all!!