Vodka

New Year's Eve

I feel like death…

Squinting my eyes awake, I peer out at the harsh bright light of day, trying to make out the shapes of my surroundings from the blindingly white figures.

I was in bed…

I was in my soft blue bed…

And there was someone lying right next to me-

Jolting awake, I feel my stomach clench in warning at such a sudden movement, as I stare down at the person asleep beside me.

Holy who the hell is in my b-

Chanhee-?

Blinking in shock, I scramble onto my side, and stare dumbfoundedly down at my best friends mop of brown hair.

“Chunji-“ I croak, reaching a hand out to nudge the sleeping teen awake, “Chunji- what are you doing in my b-“

And that’s when I realise that I’m also shirtless.

In my bed-

Right next to CHANHEE.

Heat rises up my neck and a feeling of uncertain panic and arousal sweep over me as I pull the covers up over my bare torso. Falling back into the safety of my warm pillow I stare across at my now waking best friend- big brown eyes slowly fluttering their way out of sleep before me.

Hmm-?” he moans lowly, making my skin erupt in goosebumps at the sheer bloody tone.

Ahhh- I’m way too hung over to handle this right now-!!

“W-when did you come over-?” I tread carefully, noting the raspy dry pitch to my voice, as pain burns down my throat and thuds deftly through my skull.

“Oh-“ he surmises easily, pulling a hand up to run sleepily through his bed hair as he lets out a yawn. “You invited me over last night for pizza.”

I stare blankly back at him- waiting for some piece of memory to fall back into place, some flicker of recognition regarding this pizza story.

But everything was void-

A big black blur of nothing-

Oh god…

What if I did something awkward-??

Would Chunji tell me if I did-?

“For pizza…?” I repeat weakly, feeling nauseating swirls of anxiety creeping into my gut.

“Yeah, pepperoni-“ he states simply, something of a smile tugging at the sides of his mouth.

I frown deeply as an image of pizza dropping out of my hand and onto the wooden floor flickers through my mind.

“Right…” I croak, only half satisfied with this fragmented piece of memory. “And where’s my shirt-?”

“Ah-“ it was Chunji’s turn to look a little lost here as he sits up and looks around the room for moment. “Over there-“ he points, to a black hoodie thrown haphazardly to the floor near my study desk. “I took it off you last night cause you got vomit on it,“ he explains calmly, giving me an amused sort of look.

HE took it off-???

As in- CHUNJI-???!!

My head pounds with a sharp stab of pain as I struggle to reconnect the ideas, reconnect the dots to non-existent memories in my head.

Oh god, the guy undressed me and I can’t even remember-??

I swallow the thick dry lump in my throat, aware of the strange minty freshness despite the hammering hangover.

That had never happened before…

Sitting upright, I cast my eyes around the room to gather clues from the leftover destruction, squinting my eyes against the stray bits of sunlight trying to peep their way through the curtains of the window.

Beer… lots of beer…

And vodka-

The vodka always s me up…

I frown in distrust at that not so innocent looking grey bottle on the floor before my eyes fall on the half- eaten pizza on the bed side cabinet.

Ah hah-! The pizza story IS true then…

“, my head is killing me….” I groan, holding my face against my knees as Chunji shifts in the bed beside me.

“Yeah… I did warn you last night that you’d be feeling pretty this morning,” the teen speaks, reaching out to pat me briefly on the shoulder.

His touch leaves my skin feeling seared, and my stomach again clenches with an empty beer ridden nausea.

“There’s water beside you-“ he surmises kindly, nudging me to attention once more as my eyes find the collection of water bottles stacked alongside one another on the carpet beneath me.

“O-oh…” I mumble, trying to will my feelings away as I carefully reach down to grab the drink.

Like that has really worked for you so far L.joe…

I frown, gulping down the cold refreshing water and close my eyes against the pain in my throat.

I must have chucked up last night…. again.

“Er… so L.joe-?” the teen presses, voice small and awkward sounding as my own goes rigid with apprehension.

Oh god…

I DID do something weird- didn’t I-???

“Y-yeah-?” I stammer, voice still dry as I struggle to make direct eye contact with the nervous teen across from me.

“Do you remember what I said to you last night-?” he asks, “My apology…?”

“Apology-?” I repeat in utter confusion.

What did he need to apologise to me for-?

“Ahh… I’ll take that as a no then…” the teen sighs, rolling onto his back as I rub distractedly at my throbbing forehead.

“Whatever it is man… it’s fine,” I reassure croakily, having another large drink of the water bottle that is already ¾ empty.

God I was always so thirsty the next morning…

“You should have a shower, take some Panadol-“ the brunet pipes up, a look of sympathy in his eyes as if I wasn’t 100% to blame for my current predicament.

“Mmm…” I hum, non-commitedly.

I just wanted to go back to sleep…. but now that I was aware of Chunji lying right next to me I knew I wouldn’t be able to settle…

The bedsheets even smelt like him…

“I’ll be back…” I mumble with a groan, pulling my weary body out of the warm bedding and cautiously making my way across the messy floor to the adjoining bathroom.