New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve

                                               

 

It was after L.joe’s fifth beer that I started to get concerned, and the guy began to stumble around the room and slur his speech as we talked-

We were at his place together and why the underage alcohol you may be wondering-?

Well, it was New Year’s Eve tonight and thus we were celebrating the affair with our families together for a late night dinner.

L.joe and I had been friends for; mmm, about 4 years now-?

Quite a while when you think about it. But our mother’s also just so happened to be close- and hence this was one of the reasons why we ourselves became such good friends so quickly.

Therefore my place in his room right now at about 11:25 at night; snack food wrappers strewn all over the floor before me as I sat cross legged on his soft carpet- whilst the other teen himself continued down his fifth can of beer, wasn’t anything new.

Well besides the extent of the alcohol, that is-

“Dude…” I begin, just a little cautiously now, as I sling my eyes over to his rapidly becoming unfocused expression. “Why are you drinking so much-?”

Swallowing his current mouthful, he lazily draws his attention my way; “It’s New Year’s Eve, man! This is what you’re supposed to do~!” he cries sloppily, pitch cracking as it grows in volume with every word.

“Since when..?” I counteract, a frown gracing my forehead.

The boy never used to be much of a drinker…  it only really started recently. Before that we would only have the occasional drink every now and then, after school or on weekends- whenever we could successfully snatch a can from under our parent’s noses without them noticing.

Which wasn’t very often- mind you.

But tonight- he’d picked up a whole case from downstairs amongst all our parents and family friends and lugged it swiftly upstairs to his room.

He’d finished his third before I’d even completed my first and really- it was starting to get just a little concerning;

“Since I decided to have fun, Chanhee.” He hums lowly and cocking his drink towards me with a challenging smirk. “You want another~?”

“I think I’m ok,” I dismiss, and casting my own gaze down to the first can still placed before my legs.

Something was definitely wrong here…

“So man-“ I venture a little cautiously and watching as he shifts his position before me, stretching his legs out at an angle and placing a steadying hand on the ground to prevent anymore wobbling on his part.

Mmm~?” he mumbles, trying to focus on me.

“Nothing’s- like, bothering you right now, is there-?” I question, and hoping like hell that I didn’t sound too wimpy as his expression turns blank.

“And why would you- hic, say that for-?” the blonde trills, hiccupping mid-sentence as his tone pitches in denial.

“Well…”

How to put this?

“You don’t usually do this sorta thing-“ I begin and pointedly switching my eyes over to the door where the remaining cast of cans sat, amongst the torn up cardboard packaging that was his drinking determination.

“Annnnddd?” he laughs lopsidedly and throwing an amused look my way, “Dude, you’re looking wayyyy too far into things~”

“Am I?” I say dryly, as he swiftly chugs down another gulp of the bitter malt coloured liquid.

“Yep! You just need to relaaax~~”

“I see…”

I watch as he drops down to lay on his side, shirt pitching up near his left hip as he moves, and his limbs moving heavy as though totally disconnected to the rest of him.

“So there’s nothing you’re trying to forget or anything? Maybe something at home…?”

His hair slumps messily across the carpet beneath his head, his usually immaculate style slumping out of place as he stares drunkenly up at me.

“Things are fine there,” He replies, a bit more seriously now and clearly dodging half of my question as he moves his can protectively up to his torso.

“So… it’s something else you’re trying to forget then? Dude, what’s going on…?”

He frowns at my sudden interrogatory stance and groaning- perhaps from the beginnings of nausea, he buries his face into the ground, avoiding my eyes.

“I’m just dealing with, hic- stuff right now… ok?” he answers dismissively, obviously hoping I’d drop this suddenly awkward conversation.

It was very clear to me he didn’t want to go there right now- that he didn’t want to talk about whatever was going on; but that didn’t mean his alcohol consumption would agree-

“Is it a girl?”

Ha-!“ bursting into a laugh, the boy rolls onto his back- his can dragging precariously behind him as amusement splashes across his lips. “A girl??”

I don’t respond and instead lift my own drink to take a distracted sip.

“Why would it be a girl??”

“I duno… just, they can muck with your thoughts sometimes is all,” I hedge easily, as a smile of my own graces my lips.

Hic- well, hic- I can ASSURE you that it’s not a girl-“ he muses cryptically, and shifting a mocking look my way.

Curiosity flares up in my gut now and I can’t help but observe the guy a little closer- watching as he runs a hand up to his forehead, rubbing down his tired looking face before ruffling quickly through his blonde layers-

He seems completely at ease laying with his denim clad legs outstretched, one hitched up at the knee as his beer almost tilts onto the carpet by his hip line, and yet-

There’s something just a little off about him…

And had been all week.

“So what is it then, man?”

Urgh…” he moans loudly, and ripping himself upright he gulps down the rest of his drink before casting his eyes off towards the remaining cans. “Maybe I should have stolen the whisky instead-?”

My eyes widen, and I watch in surprise as he stumbles slightly to his feet, almost falling over for a moment before making his halting way over to pull out another drink.

“You didn’t answer my question, L.joe.” I remind casually, and trying not to say anything about his determined stance at getting totally plastered right now.

“Well, it’s not really a fun conversation~” he sings distractedly, moving back over to flop down before me and loudly cracking the drink open as he goes.

“Ah, don’t be a wimp man! I’m sure it’s not that bad-“ I goad, as I really start to feel anxious.

I mean, what if it was something bad?

Could L.joe have done something illegal that I’m not even aware of-??

“Ohh its bad-“ he assures with another burst of laughter and spilling some of the drink down his fingers now as his shifts in place. “See; I’m sort of getting these-“ he pauses here to take another gulp of confidence boosting alcohol, “Well, hic- feelings…”

A frown instantly jumps across my forehead and I struggle to work out just why his tone is so low right now.

Feelings…?

“What d’you mean?” I query, rather stupidly.

He barks out a short chuckle, shaking his head at just how thick he thought I was being right now-

“What do I mean?? Heck- what do you think I mean!” he slurs, and taking a messy sip from his can, wiping the back of his hand over the trail that’s left behind on his chin as he finishes.

“Um…?”

I honestly had no idea-

“I’m starting to feel weird,” the blonde explains, and stopping to conceal a burp as a hand makes its way onto his sickly stomach. “I’m starting to think about- hic, things that you shouldn’t think about-“

Things you shouldn’t think about-?

What on Earth was he talking about??

Frowning further, I detect the way his eyes begin to drop just a little across from me and again he sways threateningly to one side, before managing to hook his arm out to stop the descent-

He was so wasted…

“Look man, whatever it is you can tell me tomorrow or something.” I begin to say as I push my own empty beer away and catch the disconnected look to his eyes. “But I think you should probably stop drin-“

Nah, nah, nah- man, I’m all good~!” he sings loudly, and pulling himself forwards as frothy liquid slops over the rim and down to the carpet. “Oops-“

Ah jeez…

Looking down at the rusty bubbling stain, he doesn’t seem to know quite what to do with it and instead simply disregards the mess with a bemused sort of expression on his face, “Ah well~ as I was saying- hic, I’ve been having these weird- hic, weird thoughts about g-guys…”

What???

I feel my eyes widen inside my head and a of realisation crashes through me as his drunken words finally click into place-

“Like; I don’t want to-“ he continues, instantly more sullen sounding as he looks across at my shoulders.  “And it seems weird, but like they just seem, hic, like hotter all of a sudden-“

Oh lord…

I feel embarrassed heat bubble up in my gut and I try to keep a blank face as my mate before me completely unravels his deepest thoughts and secrets right before my very eyes-

Note- this is why you should never drink…

 “And so I- hic, I have the hiccups…” breaking off topic all together he lets out a short frustrated sigh as I stare in bewilderment back at him, before he suddenly dissolves into laughter and drops his head into his lap.

“Omg… I have the hiccups! I haven’t had those in aaaaggggges!”

And he’s officially just lost the plot-

Completely drunk.

I watch as he runs a hand back through his ruffled up hair again and brings his flushed cheeks up to meet my gaze, “Sorry- what were you saying again?”

“Um… I wasn’t saying anything.” I voice cautiously, and feeling rather helpless now at what the heck I should do with him.

I mean, he basically just admitted to being gay-

Like, say what now?

What do I say to that-?

“Oh yeah! I was talking about my problems~” he hums happily, and shifting just a little closer to me as I clamp back up into silence.

“It’s good to talk about your problems, Chunji~~ You should do it too~” The teens voice pitches cheerfully, holding his beer up in my direction with a face filled with bemused gratitude.

“You’ve made me feel better already!”

“Right… that’s good then.” I say oddly, watching him attempt to cross his legs again as he simultaneously takes another deep gulp of fluid.

“So… L.joe?” I begin just a little curiously and trying to get the kid back on track once more. “Are you saying that you… um, like guys now or something? Cause that’s fine, if you do-“

A look of humour flashes across his expression and he roughly places his can down on the floor as he starts to reply; “I dunoooo man, I’m just so confuuused I guess-“ he says, his tone ringing out with each word as it lodges in the air longer than actually necessary.

Nodding, he blinks unfocused back at me before letting out a sigh and propping himself up on one hand. “Well mostly I- hic, I’m starting to feel weird for this- hic, one dude in particular…”

Instantly a thrill of anticipation hums through my gut and the atmosphere rapidly thickens before me as I realise I’m actually gonna know who the boy likes-

I mean, just who on Earth has my friend suddenly going so crazy over-?? Just who’d turned him into an alcoholic like this? And has him suddenly spouting feelings for the same -??

I mean- he’d never said he was gay before…

“Who is it?” I say bluntly, and leaning a little closer as I take in his tilting head and the way his cheek is pressed up on one side as his hand struggles to hold his weight.

Mmm… I think I feel a little sleepy now-“ he turns randomly, and blinking innocently around the room as he rubs his knuckles across his big exhausted looking eyes.

Ah, for christ’s sake!

The blonde lets out a big yawn, completely oblivious to the fact that we were meant to be having a conversation right now and looking over to his bed behind us.

“L.joe, you didn’t say who it was-“ I urge, as my curiosity peak hits its limit.

I mean, come on!

How could you do this to someone??

“I don’t- hic, know Chunji…. why you- hic, sound so happy~~” he sings and turning back to face me with cheerful eyes of his own. “I’m being a bad person. But it just keeps running, hic- keeps running through my head and making me feel so, hic- so frustrated…” he continues, avoiding my eyes now.

“Bad? Ok, you’re officially not making any sense right now-“ I concede with a shake of my head.

How were his feelings bad-?

Shouldn’t he be happy he’s found someone to like?

And I’m just about to stand up to drag the boy’s sorry arse to bed before he speaks up-

“But I guess- it’s ok for me to like you now, isn’t it~? Cause I’m drunk!” He cries with amused sarcasm as another snort of laughter escapes his mouth.

My whole body freezes with shock and I stare blankly back at him-

 

What did he just say…?

 

Rubbing his face once more he dissolves into a mess of incoherent giggles, then suddenly slumping forwards he lazily drops his body to the floor and curls up on one side.

“Ah- L.joe….” I begin quietly, but not having been acknowledged in the slightest the teen simply allows his figure to relax heavily into the soft carpet and flicks his lids shut- beer can now left totally deserted a mere foot away.

And I can tell almost immediately that he’s fallen asleep- or pretty darn close to it anyway.

Standing up, I allow my rigid muscles to stretch and groan in protest as my mind still tries to shuffle through the rather slurred information I’d just received-

L.joe… likes me?

As in; likes me?

A bit of a blank daze seems to have fogged up my own mind now, and I know I can’t blame the alcohol- for my sole can still resides on the ground behind me as I make my way over to the teen and kneel down quietly before him.

“Byunghun…?”

His quiet steady breathing resonates gently up to me, in and out as his exhausted intoxicated body claims him for sleep.

Smiling just a little, I shake my head at his sheer stupidity before grasping the boy’s arms in my grip and giving a bit of a shake-

“L.joe, you can’t sleep on the ground-“ I say firmly, as his eyes flutter wantingly before me and a moan of protest slips out of his alcoholic smelling lips.

Nnn… I already told you I’m fineee-” he whines completely off topic, and turning into the ground just a bit further as I lean over him.

“Yah- come on!” gripping firmer I start to pull upwards, feeling a tug of relief as he drunkenly allows his body to rise up with me.

“Chunji, are you still celebrating~?” the boy hums, eyes still closed as he pushes himself up off the ground and allows me to pull him onto his incredibly unsteady legs.

“No- I’m going to bed too,” I say in amusement as he stumbles forwards and I clench my arm securely around his waist.

Ooohhh, ok then...”

Pulling the lad over to his bed I allow his body to unceremoniously topple onto the covers, his legs curling up instantly as he flips roughly onto his back.

The blonde lets out a large sigh and plopping a hand across his stomach he turns half-heartedly to one side, layered hair tipping effortlessly across his forehead as he goes whilst I lean down to grab the blankets out from under his legs-

“I’m sorry I’m- hic, weird now Chanhee…” he mumbles tiredly, voice almost silent as I halt mid-way with the sheets up over his torso.

“What do you mean?” I whisper earnestly, as I feel the boy’s sudden turmoil wash over me in exhausted waves, making my gut twinge with sympathetic anxiety as I stare down at his tired figure.

“I didn’t- hic, mean to find you, hic- hot…and I’m mmm- I’m sorry I drunk all of our beer…” he coos, eyes remaining peacefully closed, as he begins to give up on all conversation.

I feel another smile tug its way onto my face and shaking my head once more, I settle the blankets down around his shoulders as he snuggles deeper into his pillow, letting out a quite noise of rest as he goes-

“It’s ok,” I respond quietly, and moving back a little as I go to get into my own made up mattress on the opposite side of the bed.

“I wasn’t that thirsty anyway…”