Arias

New Year's Eve

                                                                                                          Chunji's POV

It was a cold Saturday night that I managed to drag Byunghyun off to the city’s most popular gay night club- Arias.

“How long do we have to stay?” the blonde piped up, passing his fake ID card to the security guard up front.

They never checked very well at this establishment-

Hence the hordes of young men that flocked here every weekend and the clubs’ notorious popularity.

“Yah- we’ve only just arrived dude.” I quipped with a frown, nudging his shoulder as my own ID was passed carelessly back to me. “You can’t be thinking of leaving already!”

“Can’t I?” he sighs, rolling his eyes as we push our way inside.

The music was deafeningly loud, strobe lights and fragmented shards of mirror cast reflections of light spraying over the otherwise dimply lit room. A vast dance floor filled with young and middle-aged men pulsed with every beat making it difficult to find a path towards the bar.

“I need a drink…” L.joe groans, pulling his eyes away from a couple to our left who were suddenly locked in a very passionate- tongue down each other’s throat- kind of kiss.

“Oh-” I stammer in surprise, stepping cautiously away from the pair so as not to interrupt as I hurry to catch up.

I was dressed in a simple pair of blue denim jeans tonight, and a white t-shirt, not really knowing if there was a specific dress code for a gay pub if you weren’t actually a part of the community. I figured a casual look would have to suffice, at least until I had a better idea from the men we interacted with tonight.

Though, looking around, I realised there were other young teens that looked just like me.

True, many had rainbow bands around their wrists, or some of the middle- aged men were dressed in full on drag or sporting VERRRYYY short leather booty shorts- but the others looked exactly like me and L.joe.

Dam… how could you even tell if someone was gay then? I wondered idly, siding up next to my friend as he tried to catch the attention of the bartender.

L.joe was all in black tonight. Black denim pants and a short sleeved black t-shirt that he had reluctantly changed into as I’d announced it was time to leave that evening. He really wasn’t in the mood it seemed…

“How can I help you handsome-?” the bartender asked in a soft Irish accent, quirking a smile back at my best friend.

The boy tensed before me and I noted the way his gaze lowered to the bench top. “Er, hey mate... Can I grab a whiskey? Any will do-“

“Anything, huh-? I’m gathering something a bit strong-?” the man, who would probably be in his early to mid-twenties surmised, looking over the boys’ sullen expression with sympathy.

“Sure…”

“Coming right up-“ he nods reassuringly, “and for your…” he pauses, looking across at me, “friend-?”

And now it’s my turn to feel nervous as I give a polite chuckle in return; “Yeah, he’s just my mate. Can I grab a gin and tonic?”

Nodding the man, turns away to start preparing our drinks as another young man to my right gives L.joe a quick look over-

Guess he heard that the new boy is single.

Clearing my throat I step a bit closer to Byunghun and note the way he’s playing with the hem of his t-shirt, pulling at a loose thread in agitation.

“Even the bartender is queer… jesus Chanhee, you’re going to be the only straight one here!” he mutters to me in dark sarcasm.

“Yah, don’t get in a mood,” I chastise, “he didn’t mean anything by it, he must just be so used to serving couples here.”

“Uh- huh…”

“That’ll be $20.50,” the Irish man says, smoothly sliding our drinks across to us with another knowing look at L.joe.

Even he knows the blonde doesn’t want be here right now…

“Try have a good time tonight, hey?” he breathes lowly, as the boys card beeps in confirmation and we grab our drinks from off the countertop.

“Thanks for these…”L.joe ignores him, turning quickly away from the polite bartender and disappearing into the crowd.

“Ah- yeah, thanks man!” I add apologetically, taking off after the teen.

“You know L.joe, it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to at least make friends with the bartender.” I concede, taking a sip from my drink and nodding to myself in approval. It was pretty good… “He could technically refuse us drinks after all-“

“I don’t care,” he grumps, navigating hi way over to a pool table in the corner of the room and away from all the gyrating hips on the dance floor.

“Plus he seems nice-“ I add, not knowing why exactly this fact annoyed me.

“Well then YOU can be his best friend, not me,” The boy cuts, taking a large swig of his dark malt coloured drink.

Rolling my eyes, I cast my eyes around the room instead. Jesus, he was being so difficult right now… I don’t see how hard it is to chill just a bit. We were doing this for his benefit after all!

I watch the young teens on the dance floor before us, an ebony haired boy of no older than 18 grabbed a shorter boy by the hips, pulling him flush against his torso as they twisted their bodies in time to the beat. A red headed man goes straight up to another at the bar, taps him on the shoulder and hands him his mobile. Waiting patiently as the other, albeit a little shocked, types his number into the device and hands it back with a flirtatious smile.

I don’t think it will take long for L.joe to be approached, he is just as handsome as the other men here… I think to myself, looking back at him idly on his ice cubes at the bottom of the now empty glass.

“Are you finished already-??” I gasp in surprise.

“Yeah… can you get me another?” he asks, lazily rolling the cubes around on his tongue as I blink awkwardly back at him.

“And why can’t you go if I give you my card?” I quip, frowning. Lazy bugger…

“I don’t wanna have to talk to that Irish guy again-“

“That’s not an excuse! We came here to make frie-“

“Hey guys, would you like to play pool table with us?” a young but heavily muscled boy asks, brunette hear splattered with bright red dye at the front.

L.joe tenses once more and turns to face the new comer as another two men come up behind him.

“My name is Changjo” he introduces politely, extending a civil hand our way.

The blonde glances down at the hand for a moment before leaning across to take his grasp.

“L.joe. This is Chanhee-“ he replies, tilting his head in my direction.

I too shake the boys’ hand as his mates behind him nod in introduction.

Changjo beams, “Oh, these are my friends- we’ve been waiting for someone to scope out the table for ages now! We’ve versed each other way too often and it’s getting a little predictable.“ He chuckles, scratching the back of his head.

“You want us to join you for a game?” I query with an excited smile. This would make the evening much more enjoyable!

“Yeah, but only if you haven’t come for other reasons-“ an older boy at the back speaks carefully, taller than the rest and likely a few years older.

“Nah, we’re in-“ L.joe conceives at once, moving away from the dance floor as another handsome teen starts eyeing him off.

“We only came here to make some friends,” I add, trying to smile back at L.joe as the other boys pick up on his very obvious discomfort.

“Sweet,” Changjo beams again, easily playing along with my efforts to act casual.

We soon discovered the names of the other boys we were playing with; C.A.P, Neil, and Ricky. Ricky appeared to be the youngest by features alone, and I seriously wondered how he had been allowed in let alone to be drinking anything other than plain coco cola with that baby face of his.

They were all nice enough, and it was good to have a game to distract L.joe from his moody depressive thoughts.

I’d gone off, like the push over I am, to get his next drink- just like he’d requested- but since that moment I’m rather embarrassed to say that I’d lost count of just many the two off us has had. It was very clear to me that the other boys had been out partying a lot more frequently than me or L.joe… and it became like a mission of sorts for me to even try and keep up.

L.joe’s drinking habit of late definitely gave him more of an edge in that department-

We stayed for another few hours after this, sticking to our new found group of friends as L.joe finally began to let his guard down- drink by drink. And the longer we versed the other boy’s the more competitive we all became and the more we joked around as we began to glean more of who the other boys actually were.

Turns out Changjo and Ricky definitely had something going on- if the sidewards glances from the baby- faced teen all night long were anything to go by.

“So, you think those two are ing-?” L.joe slurs when we finally stumble into my bedroom later that night-

Or perhaps it was the early morning-?

I really had no idea…

“Which ones-??” I laugh out loud, trying to catch onto his rapidly changing topics as the room seemed to spin around us. “There was A LOT of gay guys there L.joe-“

Laughing even louder the boy tries to cover his mouth lest he wake my parents’ who were asleep downstairs.

“Funny, I kinda noticed that…” he chuckles, rolling his eyes in pure sarcasm. “I was talking about Changjo and Ricky-“

“Aha! So I’m not the only one who caught that eye action then-??” I gasp, pointing a finger at him in excitement as the blonde shakes his head back at me.

“I don’t think ANYONE missed that eye ing-“ he drawls, struggling to take off his shoes without face planting the floor. “And here I was thinking he was innocent because he looks like a bloody 12 year old!”

Laughing hysterically, I throw myself down at the edge of my bed scooting over as L.joe chucks his phone down beside me. “Yeah- he did look pretty young! Those security guards really don’t give a , huh-?”

“Clearly not, but that’s alright with me!”

Smirking back at him I note the way in which he’s begun rubbing at his eyes before running a hand backwards through his blonde tousled hair. “You seemed to have a good time tonight. Those guys were fun to hang out with, yeah-?”

“Yeah, they were cool,” he smiles easily, taking a seat on the carpeted floor across from me as he lazily stretches his legs out.

“See! I knew you could have a good time if you only just relaxed a bit!” I quip, too quickly for my brain to catch up now as the effects of the alcohol swim through my system.

“Yeah, whatever…” he teases, rolling his eyes back at me.

“Maybe you can even talk to Changjo or Ricky and ask for some advice about stuff-?” And I know I must have said something wrong by the sudden cold look that descends the teens features.

“Yeah, no. I think I’ll pass-“ he replies, icily moving to grab his phone from off of the bed besides me.

“What-? Dude, you were getting along with them just fine before!” I argue, frowning back at his moody expression. “What’s wrong with simply asking them about-“

“I think I’m gonna go have a shower-“ The blonde announces sharply, pulling away from me as he stumbles momentarily on his way out the door.

“L.joeeeee,” I whine like a child, sighing as I heave myself off the bed to follow after him.

Creeping down the corridor I enter the bathroom behind him and close the door.

  1. are you in a mood again-?” I pout, leaning heavily against the wooden frame work as he steps over to the shower to fiddle with the taps.

“I’m not in a mood Chanhee- I just don’t want to be discussing this with people I barely know,” he grumps, frowning back at me as the water sprays down into the tub below, mist streaming into the room.

“Okok,” I sigh, holding my hand ups in defence. “Mmm, is there anyone you fancied whilst we were there then…?

And if it wasn’t for the boy being so thoroughly intoxicated right now I would have panicked at the way in which he suddenly tripped over himself on the way into the shower, still fully clothed mind you, and became absolutely drenched from head to toe.

But as it was, I couldn’t help bursting into laughter-

Blinking owlishly back at me through the on pour the teen cracks a toothy grin before he too loses the plot.

“Yah!! This is your fault Chanhee!” he cries, pushing his wet fringe out of his eyes and stepping backwards out of the onslaught.

“How is it my fault your too bloody clumsy??” I laugh, poking my tongue out at him as he slides down to a seated position at the end of the tub.

“You’re asking me stupid questions, that’s how!” he teases, leaning back against the wall with a smile on his face.

Stepping into the stream myself I gasp at the heat that’s now flooding through my clothing and into my much cooler skin as I go to take a seat across from him.

The boy gapes back at me, taking in my saturated state with a look of pure shock on his face.

“Are you crazy Chanhee or just stupid-?” he continues, shaking his head in drunken disapproval.

I laugh in return, “Yah! I Can’t be as stupid as you-”

With that the boy giggles back at me, watching as I take a seat before him and push the plug into the bottom of the tub.

“So-?” I query, more seriously now as the blonde runs his hands over the collecting water beneath us.

“So what-?“ he slurs playfully.

“Soooo, did you find anyone handsome there-?”

For some reason, I really wanted to know…

“Handsome-??” he chuckles, throwing his head back in laughter. “I don’t think people use words like that anymore Chanhee- I think its called being hot or being attractive-“ he prattles on, far more relaxed then he was prior as he smiles at the steam rising up around us.

“Ah, whatever- you know what I mean,” I say, pushing him with my foot as he grins back at me. “What about the bartender-?”

“The Irish guy-??” he cries, eyes widening in humour now as he grips his stomach in support, clearly finding that idea way too amusing.

“What’s wrong with the Irish guy!??” I laugh light heartedly, as relief floods my system like a swig of sweet wine.

“Pshht, I mean, yeah- sure he was attractive enough,” the teen begins, making my breath catch in my throat. “But he’s not really my type…”

My interest peaks and staring back at him I feel my body radiating sheer heat as the water rises to hip level.

“Ohhh-?” I sing, smiling cheekily back at him, “So you have a type now, huh~?”

“Pshhht…” he mutters with a grin, shaking his head at me in amusement, “How have you become even more annoying these last few hours-??”

“Talent, I guess-?” I tease, tugging uncomfortably at my wet t-shirt, clinging tightly around my torso.

“Mmm… I like brunettes.” He hums absentmindedly, running his hands through his hair so that it slicks neatly backwards.

Brunettes…

That’s not much to go by, I think to myself, running my mind over all the men we had seen out tonight. Heaps of them were brunettes…

“And big eyes…” he says quietly, looking down at his own cross- legged position, lost in thought. “Taler than Ricky, but not built like C.A.P-“

It sounds like he did see someone in particular…

“Changjo…?” I speak softly, my tone unfamiliar as I feel nerves pool into my stomach.

“No… there was someone much more attractive there that kept distracting me-” he breathes, slowly looking back up at me.

OH…

How could I have forgotten-??

I feel my skin tingle as I quickly glance away from the teens heated stare.

He was talking about me…

He admitted to finding me hot last time he was drunk, right??

He admitted to liking me…

So… could he be talking about me right now-?

I swallow the hard lump that’s risen in the back of my throat and tug at the hem of my t--

I needed to get out of these wet heavy clothes, I feel like my skin is on fire-

Tugging hard I pull the wet material about halfway off my chest catching the way L.joe’s eyes drop down my torso as I do so before becoming unceremoniously stuck with my arms above my head.

“Er- Byunghyun…” I begin, embarrassed as I try to wiggle out of said predicament-

, it was really stuck over my head-

I hear the boy burst into laughter once more, as the water shifts around me and he grips hard up near my shoulders, tugging harshly at the wet fabric.

A wet splash resonates back to me as I fall backwards into the oncoming spray of the shower head and my shirt falls into the water between us with a loud splash-

Silently laughing his head off, the blonde pulls me up by the arm as I struggle to right myself and turn the taps off. “Hahaha, shut up Byunghyun!” I cry, not able to see properly as the water drips from my face and into my eyes.

I finally turn back around to face him.

The blondes’ eyes dance with amusement, his fringe dipping low onto his forehead as his gaze begins to shift down to my bare chest-

I blink blankly back, watching as the dazed teen seems unable to stop his eyes raking over my skin, first across my collarbones then dipping down lower,

Lower past my belly button-

I feel my stomach clench-

Ah- I need another drink-“ the boy moans, ripping his gaze away from me and rubbing his hand roughly against his face.

“Another drink-??” I gape, pulled out of the moment as he begins to pull himself out of the tub, soaking a puddle of water onto the tiled floor. “Are you not drunk already dude-?” I laugh, watching as he too struggles to free himself from all the wet clothing.

“Clearly not-“ he stammers nervously, shaking his head a little as he tugs harshly at his tight black denim pants.

“You look pretty drunk to meee,” I sing happily, watching him trip up a few times as he strips down to his underwear and hurriedly wraps the towel around himself.

I have a bottle of vodka in my bag- you want?” he tilts his chin at me in question.

“Eh, why not?” I hum, shaking my head at his disorderly way off walking out of the room before pulling myself out of the tub after him.