Toppled At The Top

Hunter Hunted

A/N: Because of my work's unpredictable schedule, I didn't have the chance to complete this chapter sooner. Feeling guilty for making you wait, I started making these scenes during bus rides. Hihi. Enjoy the product of commuting :)


Are we out of the woods yet?” the whining nymph ask his invisible companion for the eight time in just an hour.

Without any warning, Kibum was scooped bridal style – again – by Minho. “Let me down, you ert! Other creatures may see you but I don't and I'm not used with floating in the air like this,” the nymph protested.

Despite the fact that Minho disappeared from Kibum's vision, the former can still be heard, smelled, touched and even ehem tasted ehem by the latter. Minho's cooking. I can still taste Minho's cooking. Tone down your excitement, Kibum, the nymph internally scolds himself.

Yesternight, Minho insisted on showing Kibum the sunrise in one of the mountain summits that the former passed by while on the way to the underworld.

The forest deity can't believe that he missed such a spot since he has been in the forest for hundreds of years. Being the stubborn and dominant demi-god that he is, Minho is never a fan of rejection. Kibum woke up floating in the air, bridal style, on the way to the mountain top. The nymph wanted to argue but Minho's warm body against him in the cold early morning feels so irresistibly good.

Upon reaching the summit, Kibum wanted to punch himself for not agreeing to this idea from the start.

The mountain range opposite the summit can be clearly seen as it stretches its territory at the forest border. At its foot, the sacred pond where Kibum first saw Minho mirrors the land form, trees and sky above it. The sky is slowly being painted with a mixture of warm orange, serene indigo and refreshing light blue. From where he's standing, Minho can see the unmistakable sparkle in the nymph's gray eyes.

Slowly, Minho started to back away to look for something. He first collected some black raspberries, red raspberries and blackberries. Artemis taught him how to make ink out of different fruits and flowers during hunting breaks. It was two summers ago when he made a mural for his mother using these berries. I pray to all my heavenly uncles and aunts that Kibum will appreciate this silly romantic trick of mine, Minho silently pleas.

Sunrises just last at around two minutes yet the enchanting way the forest wakes up put Kibum in a trance for almost fifteen minutes. Realizing that he hasn't heard anything from Minho in awhile, Kibum strained his ears for a sound. He has trained himself to recognize Minho's breathing, scent and touch. Everything about Minho, for that matter.

Kibum stepped away from the cliff where he was viewing the sunrise and started studying the sounds around him. To his surprise, there is a trail of orange blossoms that starts in his feet. A small smile begins to form at the corner of his lips.

All these years of hunting yet all you give me are flowers. What kind of hunter are you, Minho?” The nymph teases as he follows the floral trail.

Kibum can't help not to be elated by the scent that is surrounding him. The orange blossoms exude a scent that is a rare mixture of fresh orange juice and possibly some orange zest, and dries down to a crisp, lightly sweet white floral blend. As he gets closer to this huge boulder at the end of the trail, Minho's scent begins to overwhelm his senses.

Aquatic, noble and masculine, Minho's unique sillage evokes the power and beauty of the sea. Kibum still remembers the day he asked the demi-god why he doesn't smell like the forest despite being raised in it. Minho's eyes lit up but his smile is sad and reminiscing.

Father was one of the best masons of his time,” Minho started. “He was commissioned to build all the divinities' temples, coliseums, grandstands. Name it and Father can build it. One ambitious sailor, Deucalion, asked Father to construct the biggest ship this country's shore has ever seen. Father agreed to this and finished the water vessel. Unbeknowest to Father, Deucalion was Zeus' enemy and the ship was meant to carry weapons that the titans can use to kill the primary god of Olympus. Before the ship could sail, Zeus destroyed it with his Aegis. Upon knowing Zeus' attack at the shore, Mother hurriedly looked for Father, only to be greeted by his lifeless body at the seaside. She asked Poseidon's help. What was taken by the sea, only the sea can give back. But this was Zeus' business and Poseidon can't go against his brother. I was there, barely seven years old, looking at the corpse of the only mortal who loved me. Seeing my grief, Poseidon gifted me the scent of the ocean. With this, he said, the memory of your father will be with you forever,” Minho's human side is evident in that moment.

The sillage that keeps on going stronger brought Kibum back to reality. Because of this aquatic scent, Kibum can easily pick out Minho's whiff among other things. The forest spirit followed it and stopped in front of the huge boulder at the end of the trail. To Kibum's surprise, something is scribbled on it.

 

You were standing there

Saying how mesmerizing the sunrise is.

I shook my head.

Realizing that you can't see me,

I just stated my negation out loud.

You just rolled your beautiful gray eyes

And pouted that pretty cherry lips of yours.

My nymph, you can't blame me.

With that beauty of yours,

even the sun and the breaking dawn pale in comparison.”

 

Kibum's mouth gaped open at the prose in front of him. Minho is a sweet talker but he doesn't know that he's a romantic writer too. Who's the real mother of this half-human, I am really starting to wonder, Kibum thought while shaking his head in disbelief.

He feels a touch in his right hand as Minho's scent felt closer than ever. A small orange blossom bud encircled with small twigs that are joined to form a ring is placed on his left ring finger.

Don't tell me you're on your knees, hunter” Kibum says, bliss evident in his voice.

I'm not,” Minho says as he kisses the shorter on his forhead. Kibum looked up and blushed at the sly trick.

When the forest deity was about to say something, there's another kiss on the tip of his nose. The nymph froze and closed his eyes.

Worry not, Kibum. We'll go further when the right time comes. Don't be too eager,” Minho says in a low voice as he whispers close to Kibum's right ear.

So close.

Too close his lips brushed the nymph's ears when he spoke.

With a shiver of nervousness in his voice, Minho said, “Kibum, head deity of the forest, I have loved you from the first moment I saw you despite that odd and somewhat lethal moment. You committed yourself as the forest's guardian for centuries. This time, I am asking you to be committed to me too. My nymh, will you marry me?”

Kibum just stood there, staring at space as if waiting for something. He tilted his head and wrinkled his nose.

Assuming that he has been rejected, Minho started blurting out everything and anything to convince his nymph. “I know that this must be a shock for you. With all the things that happened especially with Taemin, you must still be in a state of trauma. I'm willing to wait, Kibum. No matter how long it t-”

Minho? Are you there? Your still touching me and I can still smell your scent. Minho? Speak to me,” Kibum quizzically said.

After a few heart beats, both immortals snapped their heads up. As realization settles in, the forest deity stated what both of them is thinking at this moment.

Minho... I can't hear you anymore.”


A/N: It's okay to hate me. I also hated myelf for making this chapter but we all need some evil in this world, right? Hihi Mwa :*