Unsafe Savior

Hunter Hunted

A/N: I would like to say my apologies for the previous chapter. My research was wrong about the rivers of the Underworld. They're supposed to be five, not four. I made Taemin's character the sixth river guardian, instead. Also, Artemis is supposed to be a goddess in mythology but I made her gave birth to Minho in this fic. If you have any corrections about my use of mythology, please feel free to put your comments.

 

Enjoy the next chapter :)


 “It took you so long to save me I'm sure Artemis would denounce you as her son,” Kibum complained as Minho finally destroyed the stalactite cage where his nymph is imprisoned.

“I assume that's forest lingo for thank you,” the hunter said with a smile while checking the abductee's body for any injury.

The demi-god can't help but notice how frail the nymph turned just after three days of captivity in the Underworld. His arms are already skinny to begin with but it managed to become even thinner. Kibum's pale complexion that turns a light shade of pink every time he says something sweet became another shade lighter. The hands and feet that used to be decorated by floral jewelry is now dirtied by dust and soil.

Despite this transformation, Kibum's unwavering pride and courage is still evident in his demeanor. The nymph always makes himself taller than his actual physique by standing upright with his chin up. Bracing his sharp shoulders, he crosses his arms to appear intimidating. All these filth on his body yet he still acts like there's a crown on his head, Minho amusingly thought.

“Mister Hunter, is there a gladiator battle shown in my back? What are you staring-” Kibum's babbling was interrupted when two arms wrapped around his waist.

“Mad, deranged, demented, restless. All these words aren't enough to describe how insane I was during those three days that you weren't beside me. I almost thought of ending my life if that is what it takes for me to be with you again,” Minho confesses as he rests his head on the curve of the shorter's neck.

Amazed by how perfect Minho's body fits with his, Kibum lets out a sigh of contentment. He reaches Minho's cheek and caresses it. Taking in a deep breath, the nymph inhales taller's scent. It never fails to make his heart beat erratically.

Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop.

The sound of drizzling water resonates in the Underworld cave.

“What a sight to behold,” boomed a voice followed by a feigned applause.

At the speed of light, Minho stepped in front of Kibum without releasing his hold.

“Your bitter former lover is back,” the nymph said with a smile but the humor is nowhere to be found.

Minho's grip on Kibum tightened as he teased, “You stand to be corrected, my nymph. Suitor, not lover. You sound jealous, though.”

The forest deity was about to say a comeback when his consciousness escaped him. Before falling on the ground, Minho caught the seemingly lifeless creature.

“Kibum! Kibum! Kibum! Answer me!” Panic evident in his voice, Minho keeps on shouting.

After several minutes, the jeers subsided. Directing his deadly gaze to Taemin, he said, “What have you done!”

“With the help of Artemis' sacred hunting animals and Hermes' secret passages, you managed to enter the Underworld. Years of hunting also taught you how to domesticate wild animals, making even the beast Cerberus your ally with just a little cooing. The stoic Charon who always have his guard up was also knocked down by your attacks. Impressive how much you are willing to go through in order to save that minor forest deity in your arms,” Taemin lamented.

“What is impressive is how desperate you are to make me adore you. Living creatures, much more a forest deity, should be left untouched by the Underworld. I wonder what Hades' punishment will be once he'll know about this,” Minho confidently countered.

“I can smell the scent of arrogance in your speech, my love. I may not make any memory of you disappear because I am not Lethe. I can't make people forget what I don't want them to remember. What I can do, however, is to make anyone's existence disappear,” With this, Taemin's mortal form vanished.

The once empty river bed is now filled with jet black rumbling water. Taemin's true form, the River of Disappearance, has manifested at last. The flow becomes louder and louder at each passing second as if Taemin is letting out a maniacal laugh through the river's movement.

“Mother and her godly allies will protect me from your vile plans, Taemin!” The demi-god shouted, filling the cave with his frantic protest.

“Don't get me wrong, mama's boy. I'm not making you disappear in this world. Instead, I'll make you disappear in his world,” Taemin's voice echoes in the cave. Now starting to overflow, the river seems to be trying to reach the helpless near shore couple.

Confused at what the river guardian just said, Minho just took the unconscious nymph on his arms and decided to leave the Underworld. Muttering apologies to the boatman that he knocked out, reluctantly ignoring the begging souls in limbo and bidding Cerberus goodbye, Minho managed to escape Hades' dominion with his nymph. Unscathed.

Or so he thought.

Maybe because of desperation, Minho managed to go back to their forest within a day. He laid Kibum on his wooden throne with all the forests' flora and fauna waiting for them. Tokki the white rabbit and Yagyeon the stray dog were among the animals anticipating their deity's return. Trees, plants, mammals, insects, all the forest beings seem to be praying together. In one with the nature spirits, Minho also waits anxiously for the nymph to finally open his eyes.

Alluring fossil eyes that sparkle at the slight ray of the sun. Mesmerizing orbs that give Minho pure, undivided attention. Delicate grays that seem to trace every part of his being. Keen eyes...

“The nymh is awakening!” Tokki screamed all of a sudden.

The whole forest seem to hold its breath as Kibum opens his eyes slowly. With fluttering lashes, he adjusted his pupils to the sight in front of him.

Hundreds of eyes meet his. Expecting, wondering, questioning, different emotions are shown all at the same time.

“Is that how you greet your highness? With silence?” Kibum said weakly with a smile. With that, everyone rejoiced. Their nymph is back!

Minho's huge eyes became even bigger. Yagyeon swears he can see a tear threatening to fall from them. In the demi-god's blissful state, he just enveloped Kibum in a tight embrace. The nymph, however, stiffened at the contact. Once again, the forest creatures are silenced.

“My nymph? Is there any problem?” Yagyeon asks the question in everyone's mind.

“An embrace. Someone or something... Just wrapped me in its arms... But I can't see anyone near me,” the baffled nymph explained.

As if the river guardian is next to him, Minho undeniably hears Taemin's words in his head.

“I'm not making you disappear in this world. Instead, I'll make you disappear in his world.”


A/N: I saw the opportunity to promote Taemin's album and took it. No regrets here ^^