Day Off

Stolen Moments

The trio woke up late, relieved to finally have a day off. They slowly began to put together a simple breakfast. Jinhwan frowned as he reached for the rice bowls; someone had placed them on a higher shelf.

Just as he gave up and prepared to climb onto the counter, a long body pressed against his back and a muscular arm stretched out, retrieving the bowls. Keeping his head down to hide his blush, he accepted the dishes from Bobby. He wanted to pretend his embarrassment came from not being able to reach them, but in truth, it was the feel of Bobby’s body pressed to his.

He bit his lip in confusion. He had always thought of himself as straight. He liked girls; he liked their faces, their bodies, their femininity. And there was nothing girly about Kim Jiwon. He was tall, muscular, handsome, and manly; so why did he evoke such a reaction from Jinhwan? He had to wonder if he wasn’t as straight as he had thought he was.

Glancing over at the younger man, Jinhwan filled their rice bowls and carried them to the table. He sat beside Bobby, across from Hanbin as they dug into their food with barely a word exchanged.

Once they had finished eating and cleaning up, Hanbin got dressed to leave.

“I’m heading home for the day. I promised my sister I would visit,” he informed them, putting on his shoes.

Bobby threw a loaded look at Jinhwan, then sighed. “I think I’ll go out, too. Maybe shop or something.’

“Oh,” Jinhwan mumbled, looking down at his fidgeting hands. “Let’s go together?”

“Yeah?” Bobby seemed surprised by the offer.

“Let’s go together. I wanted to get a new shirt anyway. And…maybe while we’re out…we could…watch a movie?”

“…What do you want to see?”

“Don’t know; something fun. If that’s, if you want to?”

Bobby only hesitated a second. “Sure.”

They returned to their room to change clothes. Jinhwan kept glancing over his shoulder, admiring his dongsang’s bare, muscular back.

Bobby frowned, pulling on a clean shirt. He missed the days, before his confession, when the two were completely at ease with each other. They used to face each other and chat as they dressed. But, since that day, they both kept their backs turned in silence. Thankfully at least the rest of their daily interactions hadn’t altered as much. They still touched and occasionally hugged, but there wasn’t as much hand-holding or idle skinship, like playing with the other’s fingers or resting a hand on his neck or thigh. There were no more kisses or shared showers.

Bobby tried to tell himself it was a good thing, maybe now, he’d be able to move passed his unreciprocated feelings for his best friend. But, there were moments. Moments where Jinhwan confused him. There would be a longing look or a lingering touch, hesitantly spoken words. He didn’t know what to make of those rare, brief moments. Was Jinhwan curious? Lonely? Did he also miss the way they used to be? Did he wish to forget it all and pretend that nothing had happened?

Sighing, Bobby led the way out, pulling his cap lower to hide his eyes. Jinhwan followed adjusting his mask. They rode a bus, heads down, to their favorite clothes store. It didn’t take long to pick out a new shirt for the elder.

“What did you want to get?” Jinhwan asked him as they left the shop.

“Um…socks?”

Jinhwan frowned; he was right, Bobby was only leaving the house to get away from him.

“Socks, sure,” he said without any enthusiasm. They walked several blocks before he couldn’t hold it anymore. “Why were you trying to avoid me?”

“Aish!” Bobby groaned, pulling his arm to stop walking and face each other. “It’s not like that. I just thought you wouldn’t want to be alone with me…after last time.”

“That’s stupid,” Jinhwan complained, crossing his arms and looking away.

“Is it?” Bobby asked softly, pulling his friend’s eyes back to him.

“Of course it is.” Jinhwan, too, softened his voice. “You’re my best friend. You’re my favorite person to be around.”

“Even after…” he asked, scrunching his face.

“Obviously. I chased you here, didn’t I?”

They stared at each other in silence for a minute before Bobby took in a deep breath.

“Let’s go see what’s playing,” the younger suggested.

Jinhwan’s eyes crinkled with his smile and he looped his arm through Bobby’s. Finally, the tension between them eased as they headed towards the nearest theater.

A/N: So, there's only one chapter left. Hope you're liking it so far.