Fight of the Century

The Seven Year Hitch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Running wasn’t really a passion for Seulgi. If one thing it’s a habit she detests but promised to do with Krystal. If you are best friends with Krystal Jung, you have to get into the program.

Her M-W-F schedule of 5k runs is pretty much what Seulgi would call her death wish.

“WATER!!!” Seulgi dramatically runs to the drinking fountain then barbarically takes a drink.

“Stop playing bear! Get back here!” Krystal rolls her eyes.

“After trying to kill me? Never!”

Those eyes grew dark and Seulgi knew she was in trouble.

The moment she stepped into Krystal orbit, she feels a slap on her shoulder.

Seulgi pouted but Krystal was still unfazed with her aegyo.

Her best friend checked her counter intently. Satisfied, Krystal smiles and sits on the grass.

“We’re good. We can rest and stretch while we have time.”

Seulgi does so and her joints start cracking.

“! Seulgi that’s…” Krystal couldn’t find the word and just manages to cringe when she hears another.

“For heaven’s sake… STOP!” The young Jung slaps Seulgi’s chest making the other woman laugh.

“Really, Seulgi? You hang out with Irene so much you like getting hurt. Sheeessshhh…”

“Oh come on!”

“So did you get the job?” Krystal positions herself beside Seulgi who was now staring at the clouds above them like a child.

“Unfortunately, no… Something about my stuff needs direction. You know, they just belittle me because I don’t have a degree!”

“Told you to finish college… But no…” Krystal says sarcastically earning a poke to her side.

They giggle and Seulgi resigns to the fact.

“I’m serious… You just need to submit your final paper. I don’t even know why you haven’t done so because I know you have been making time for it before we graduated. Besides, if Irene gets married, you really have to move out. You have to prepare you know.”

“That’s not going to happen! Not anytime soon anyway!” Seulgi pouts and the sight greatly amused her best friend.

“Really it wouldn’t! He’s an ! And one of these days Irene will realize how wrong he is for her.”

“We both know that Irene is committed Seulgi. One day she would get married. You have to think about that.” Krystal sighs but there was a little smile on her face.

Seulgi had always been protective of Irene. Despite having romances left and right, Seulgi dropped all of those relationships for Irene. Her best friend may not tell her, but Krystal knows Irene was far too important than any of the women Seulgi dated. Why else would you blow off Yura, Mijoo and Seungyeon?

Krystal takes a look at Seulgi who was now softly snoring in her sleep.

“Why else would you blow me off you dumb bear?” Krystal takes Seulgi’s hand and closes her eyes.

“I just wish you both have time to figure out how you are both perfect for each other…”

 

@@@@@@@

 

The applause couldn’t be any louder when the deal was signed; a new year, a new accomplishment. It was a big venture and Irene can definitely say she was the one who brought it home.

From the looks of her Boss’ smile, the hard work really paid off.

“Well, congratulations Irene. This is a good start for you.” Taeyeon greeted and shook her hand.

“I couldn’t have done it with the team Miss Kim. We all did the hard work.”

“Well, I still think a corner office is in order. What do you think?”

“That’s great Miss Kim… That’s great…” Irene beams and the rest of her co-workers clap loudly.

“Congratulations! Seulgi dropped these off. I think she’s on her way to an interview.” Yeri gives her a hug and smiles.

“My Seulgi-Bear…” Irene smiles and her co-workers swoon.

“Thank you! Have you seen Wendy? We should celebrate!”

Joy turns her chair with a smile but then it drops earning Irene’s confused look. The rest of the room becomes cold as well.

“Make that a rain check. Ego-maniac coming through…” Joy turns to her computer and pretends to be busy.

Yeri smiles apologetically and goes back to her cubicle.

“Hey baby.”

“James! Aren’t you supposed to be in Tokyo today?”

“Well we are moving some stuff to the new office here and Seoul. Thought I’d drop by. What’s with the flowers?”

“They’re from Seulgi. I just got…” Irene wasn’t able to finish because James was already displeased with the environment.

“Yes. Yes. I’m picking you up later for dinner. Dress nicely.”

“Oh. Okay. I was hoping we could…” Irene wanted to spend time with him and her friends to celebrate. It’s a big promotion after all.

But of course, James being a lawyer weighed heavily on Irene.

James took a flower and tapped her cheek.

“I will just meet my wife’s new boss. I need the leverage. I’ll pick you up later.”

James kisses her cheek and leaves holding a flower in his hand.

“Really Irene, could you have not picked the wrong guy?”

 

@@@@@@@

 

James arrives at a hotel his wife’s boss was having a luncheon in. He stops his car’s engine and sees a woman in the reception.

“Mrs. Kwon still is inside.”

“Well then… I have more time to be with you then…” He smirks and hands the lady the flower he took from Irene’s bouquet.

“I hear that they are looking for a new partner. It’s a new business venture. No details on what it is to date. It seems Mr. Thorn is one of the candidates.”

“You do know who the other one is, correct? Thanks. I’ll see you tonight?”

The lady smiles and turns to the other guests.

James finds Mrs. Kwon and he slightly makes himself more presentable.

“Well, it’s a surprise to see you in Seoul James. I was under the impression you were on vacation.”

“I had to close up a few deals Mrs. Kwon. I’m sure you know them. The one in Gangmam, ah yes… My wife told me about it. I didn’t know we already acquired the property.”

“We closed the deal today. And you will find it lucrative.”

“We will see. Krystal would be in charge of the place after the acquisition anyway.”

“…Your sister?” He frowns, confused.

“Krystal seems to have this idea with the particular state. I’m giving it to her.”

“Really? But I thought…”

“Are you questioning our decision, James?”

“No of course. Not!”

“Good. I’m sure you’ll be attending the dinner later?”

“Of course...”

The young man appears and interrupts their conversation.

“I’ll see you later Mrs. Kwon.”

“Thank you Gilbert. It was so nice to spend your family today.”

“James.” He smiles politel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter