002

The Lost Time

"Great. Now the elevator's not working," Chorong muttered. She turned around and walked to the stairs. 

Thank goodness her apartment was on the third floor. Or else her legs would break.

While she was on her sixth steps going up, she ran into her landlady, Bae Joo Hyun. She's a small and petite lady, but extremely beautiful both inside and outside as far as Chorong knew her. Except when it comes to rent. Still, Chorong envied her life, in a good way. Joohyun is of the same age as Chorong, a lawyer, and visiting her house for a few times, a graduation picture, with 'Top Honour' carved at the lower part on the picture frame can be seen. As a lawyer, it was assumable that her life was busy, yet she still managed to marry a nice guy with a nice smile and a nice job and have lovely kids on her own. Just like the things that most women would love to dream of.  

"Chorong! I was just looking for you!" looking pleasantly surprised, Joo Hyun greeted her. 

"Hi," Chorong greeted back, looking confused. She thought she settled the rent for the month already, and the next one will be collected on exactly one more week.

"Well, Hi back, well it was regarding the rent. I believe I've messaged you?" Joohyun smiled, but her tone changed completely. Like a prey. 

The pay was actually not too expensive, it was just nice for a three bedroom apartment shared between three peoples. Joohyun only had an obsession with paying on time and tidiness since it was her family old apartment, which can be kind of scary for the tenants with lacks of spirit to do some cleaning.

Chorong grabbed her cellphone from the back pocket of her jeans. She groaned a few seconds later.

"Sorry, I missed this one," she said, looking apologetically. Her phone was in silence mode for the whole day and she was busy dating Woohyun. It was read 

'Hye. I will not able to collect the rent for next month as my family and I will be leaving for China for a month. So i'll collect it in advance. Coming at nine,"

Joohyun's face softened. "It's ok, is it ok if I collect it tomorrow? Tell me what time do you free, as long as it's before three,"

"I think I'll just drop by your house tomorrow morning after I withdraw my money. Ten should be okay," Chorong suggested. 

"Good. My kids would love to see you, they like you so much. And oh by the way, I saw a letter in your mailbox. Seems important. And handwritten," Joohyun continued, emphasizing the word 'handwritten' as she went down the stairs.

"A letter? To me? Who use letters these days? And who would want to write me a letter?" chorong asked, more to herself. She frowned. She don't recall having a pen pal.

"I don't know, but bye! Don't forget the rent!" Joohyun waved, and soon enough, the woman disappeared from Chorong's sight.

Chorong meanwhile, turned back and walked her way to the lobby. It was empty at the moment, a very rare view at Nine o'clock. Within twenty steps, she reached her destination:the mailbox.

It was not exactly a typical red mailbox since it was an apartment. It was more like an old, medium sized woodbox hung vertically on the wall, divided into more than thirty same sized rectangular compartments. 

Joohyun was right, on the dusty compartment with her apartment room number beneath it, she spotted an envelope, adressed to her. On the surface of the envelope itself a tiny, a very tiny layer of dust can be seen, it must mean that the letter had aged at least three to four days. 

For some reason, the presence of te letter gives off an aura of urgency and importance. Just like what Joohyun said, it was handwritten.