003

The Lost Time

Sleep didn't interest Chorong after that, at least for the night.

With a frown written across her face, she continued to climb the staircase, but her sight was fixed to the envelope in her hand. Turning it around, she can't wait to arrive to her apartment, but Chorong knew that she's not an athletic person. By the time she reaches third floor, she was already out of breath.

"Ah, unnie. Just come back from your date?" The door opened, revealing Yoon Bomi. Wearing a pair of black jeans and a white Tee, the younger girl seemed to be ready to go out.

"Kind of," Chorong replied, still panting. 

"Have you eaten? Eunji brought chicken feet," Bomi raised one of her eyebrow, she knew her housemate went crazy over those chicken feets. Surprisingly, Chorong looked far from being interested.

"It's ok, I have my dinner Bbom," Chorong said. "I'll put it in the fridge and eat it up later if I got hungry," Chorong assured. Bomi hated it when someone didn't finish a food. She thought that kind of person was the worst ever existed.

"Alright unnie. Bye!" 

No matter how uninterested Chorong was, she went to the kitchen. Chorong tore apart the envelope, cast it aside and took the letter instead. She washed one hand, and hold the letter with another, sat by the counter and pulled a bowl containing chicken feet towards her. Grabbing one chicken feet, her eyes fixed on the letter, scanning every words while eating her favourite dish.

 

Dear Chorong,

By the time you read this, it must meant that I'm no longer in this world. I know that you do not remember of who am I and our relation. It's my desire to see you to live without all these mess. It was my way to protect you, and thankfully, you lost you memory in that accident, though at some point I sometimes thought that you'd be better off from this world without having to started it all again. I'm glad now that you are still alive and living well by yourself. Eventhough I heard being a teacher is tough.

But still, after all these years, I've finally realised that you have the right to know everything, of our bitter past, that I myself can't believe it happened to me, to us. But 'bitter' might be the wrong word, I think 'dark' suits better. I shouldn't be selfish and keep it all to myself, am I?

I have believe that you were safe with a knowledge of yourself being an orphan, thanks to my friend's help. But Rong, you were never an orphan, and so does me. We are simply victims, of the great greediness resembling that of the devil. I myself have the urge to grab your hand, run to the place where nobody can find us, and maybe, with beers and chickens, or you might prefer chicken feet, telling you everything from the beginning till the point that I know. Unfortunately, my hands had been tied so tightly that I thought it might cut through my wrist. 

Again Rong, I do not dare to spill it all in one letter, even our relation; I've decided that it's best for you to figure it all by yourself. Shouldn't be that hard, I know you have this sense of quickness in the way you think. That's a little riddle I left you. Might want to walk against the clock. But more than anything, I believe that somehow, you will find the path to the truth. You will find this to be far more complicated than what you expected, and I hope that instead of being brokenhearted, crying on your knees like a little girl you once was, you will be stronger. I thank God for erasing your memory, and thus, erasing your vulnerable feelings to those who caused us great miseries. 

Reaching the end of this letter, I feel like I'm pushing you back to the dark tunnel with an unknown ending. You might wander around, be uncertain or found the dead end. All I can say, don't take too long so you'll find the light faster. Just keep on seeking it. Counting on you.

Your's truly, Guardian Angel.

 

By the time Chorong finished reading, she also had finished her chicken feet, the whole bowl which she promised to keep on the fridge before. Just who the hell is this Guardian Angel, with such funny nickname? Is he, or she, twelve? Chorong thought.

Contemplating whether to believe what the letter said or believing it as a pranks, maybe by one of her student, she wanted to facepalm, too bad the grease from eating chicken feet was still there on her fingers.

"Fantastic. Just who in the world left me riddles like this?" she sighed. Millions of questions ran through her brain. Again, she control her urge to ruffle her hair in frustration.

For example, how did that person, knew that she lost her memories? Chorong herself thought that she lost it after her head got hit hard by the floor. All her life she had believed that she never had a family, but this person wrote it as if she was once living like how most girls lived, family, warm meal, home. The most annoying part was how the person mentioned about their real relationship, but refused to write anything more after that.

Sure enough, sleep couldn't interest her that night, until her biological needs forced it on her. Not after a few long hours.