001

The Lost Time

Park Chorong ruffled her head in frustration.

See, for the first time in her teaching career in three years she finally obtained the honour of being a homeroom teacher. For the class 2-1. Right at the beginning of the semester, Principal Hwang called her to her room. While the air in the room was a little bit off and undeniably tense, looking hopeful, with an urgent tone as she spoke,

"Miss Park, I know this sounds ridiculous, but Madam Kim, who was supposed to be in charge of class 2-1, had decided to resign without a 24-hour notice. This new emerging problem would left the students of class 2-1 to be left hanging by themselves. After reviewing the teachers' performance for last year, we figure it out that you would be the best candidate as their homeroom teacher. Would you accept the post?"

The older of the two asked with eyes filled with hope, and of course Chorong would say yes. She never taught the kids before, but she had heard of their stellar academic performances. So it should be easy.

Or so she thought.

The students of class 2-1, no matter how academically-gifted they are, they simply knew how to make a teacher went berserk. In short, they were the type of students who enjoy to chill and play around. Too much, unfortunately. The class was filled with bullies, arrogant rich kids who looked down on other kids so much and beauty queens who thought that nobody can match them. Ever.

So by the end of the day, Chorong's determination to teach goes down from one hundred to zero. She never thought that she could scold so much in one day.

And Chorong never thought that she could lasts for the whole year. Chorong shivered, it was not exactly a bad memories, but it was still an unpleasant experience. 

That unpleasant memories will continue for another one year. What a drag.

"What's up? You look gloomy," Nam Woohyun, her collegue inside the school and boyfriend outside, asked. They were having a simple dinner at the moment.

"Nothing, only remember that I have yet a year filled with mess," she shrugged. Woohyun was sympathizing with her, he knew how hard it was to manage the kids. It was easier to teach kids with bad grades but no attitude problem, compared to the ones who have.

"I feel bad hearing it," he admitted. Chorong laughed a bit before she sighed.

"What can I do? It's called responsibility," she said, in a logical manner.

"I still feel bad," Woohyun said.

"Oh then, would you swap your class with me?" Chorong asked, half joking, quarter hopeful and quarter serious. Woohun stopped at his track before answering no. 

"But still," he asked, with mouth half filled with his dessert, "won't it worth a try to ask for different class for this time?" Woohyun gulped down before continueing, "Say, for new experience? Broading your horizon as a teacher?"

"It's ok, I think I can manage. After all I doubt it that the other teachers wanted to try become 2-1, I mean, 3-1 homeroom teacher. Plus we got one more month of holiday," she smiled. Little affection like that can make her appetite comes back, before long, the steak in front of her finished. Woohyun had long finished his.

"So where do we go next? Movies? Arcade? Stores?" Woohyun asked, after paying for both of their bills. Chorong insisted to pay at first, but he resisted.

Chorong tilt her head, a habit when she was thinking. "No where. I'm kinda sleepy right now. But I'll make it up to you tomorrow," she promised.

Woohyun glanced to his watch before nodded. "So, guess I'll send you home?"

"How else can I go back?" she said playfully. He laughed.

The couple walked for another 10 metres, getting into Woohyun's car and he drove her to her apartment. With a promise of seeing each other the next day in the afternoon, Woohyun then drove away. Chorong stretched, walking lazy steps into the apartment, she yawned.

The night was still young, but she felt tired too easy that night.