Chapter III

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Was it wrong to bring flowers? Jeon Wonwoo did in fact work a flowers shop. Maybe Mingyu would see it as sort of ironic or funny. In his hand he had a small bouquet of roses. If that didn’t make whatever this was a date, Wonwoo didn’t know what did. With the flowers in hand he unconfidently shuffled along the crowded pier and stopped when he looked over at the setting sun. The vibrant blue of day had transcended into pinks, purples, and subtle oranges. It had been some time since he had last noticed how beautiful the sunset was. Yejin had taken him to see the sunset, but everything just seemed grey every time. Now each colors stood out yet blended nicely. Wonwoo had been completely enthralled by the beauty in front of him that he disregarded the other beauty standing right next to him.

“Sunsets are remarkable. In Seoul, you just don’t see this kind of thing.” Wonwoo didn’t have to look over to recognize the owner of that deep sultry-like voice.

Before Mingyu arrived, Wonwoo had been calm and relaxed. But in the presence of him, he felt like a specimen under a microscope. All Wonwoo wanted to do was run and hide. “Um, I brought these flowers. I’m not sure why I just grabbed them on my way out. I’ll go throw them away because you probably don’t want them.”

“Wonwoo. I love them. And they’ll look great in the photo shoot.” Here this boy was, all classy and fantastic. Fate had blessed Wonwoo for bringing Mingyu into his life. Even if it was just for the summer. With Mingyu here all extra noise appeared to fade away and faces blurred. Time slowed to a casual stop and Wonwoo floated on ecstasy. It had been awhile since he had felt this peace. This feeling was refreshing but it also scared him. How would Wonwoo survive the other 319 days. Or for the rest of his life probably. There meeting was nothing but chance. Wonwoo never had good luck in life, so he pondered if Mingyu was a really a blessing or a curse.  

The two stood admiring the colors exploding in front of them, then Wonwoo spoke up.

“Are you ready to get started? I don’t want to miss these colors. We’ll probably never see them again.” While straitening up Wonwoo glanced at Mingyu. Just then Wonwoo noticed something: Mingyu was a form of rare living art. Though there was an amazing few in front of him was simply picturesque, Wonwoo wanted to spend most of his watching Mingyu. Seeing the way his eyes turned to crescent moons when he smiled and the brilliant white smile shined bright. Skin is the color of honey and probably a soft as velvet. As much as he wanted to touch him, Wonwoo knew he never could. Besides the fact that people aren’t supposed to touch art, Wonwoo’s brain would forbid him to do so.

“We should head down to the beach. Come on.” Just at that moment, an event took place that Wonwoo had dreaded. Mingyu threw his arm around Wonwoo. Everything suddenly started to get fuzzy and he felt his body temperature rise to danger numbers. A light-headedness came over as if he would fall over at any moment. Why did this have to happen now? In front of all these normal people who probably didn’t have a fear of being touched. People who most likely didn’t sit in the shower for an hour trying to scrub the person that had touched them off. Why couldn’t Jeon Wonwoo be normal. And just like that, blackness overcame him.

There wasn’t a way to pinpoint why he disliked the feeling of another human touching him. Everything about it freaks him out. This was a concept no one understood. Those in his family had no idea. He was the pride of the Jeon household. Attending Seoul National University to student business and then take over the flower shops naturally made his parents very proud of him. There was no room to look weak. If there was one thing he dreaded it was disappointing his parents. Yejin was mixed in there as well. Yejin and his relationship was set up by their parents. If he told her he hated when they would kiss or hold hands, it’d complicate things to the point of break up. And then in turn his parents would be disappointed. Wonwoo walked the dividing line his whole life. Telling the truth would mean leaning a side and getting hit by disappoint filled guilt. In short, Jeon Wonwoo would never be himself, love himself, or love who he wanted. But that’s the price you pay sometimes.

 

 

The last thing he remember was passing out on the boardwalk in front of all those people. His head was throbbing. It was felt there were millions of tiny fists in his skulls pounding as they could, like there were trying to escape. Wonwoo wished he could getaway as well. Even with closed eyes he knew he was in an abnormal place. Under him there was a feeling of soft, somewhat worn leather. The seat of a car maybe? But whose car? Was he kidnapped? A tightness filled his chest and the formally regulated and calm breath was replaced by one that was irregular, fear-filled.

After awhile of contemplating of he wanted to open his eyes, Wonwoo finally gradually opened his eyes. Above his was a window, and the dark star-spotted sky behind that. Frantically his eyes darted around the area trying to find a way out. Everything started spinning, things were enclosing around him. Wonwoo’s hand slammed back and forth hoping something, anything would open. Bang, bang, bang, his hand kept hitting that hard thing until there was a cracking noise. Glass smashing. Wonwoo drew his hand back when the fresh ocean air hit is face. Now his breaths were back to normal. With the knowledge of a known escape, Wonwoo was able to return to a tranquil state. And with the arrival of this new sense, the boy sat up to look around. Finally, it clicked. Wonwoo was in a car. The car was clean with a few personal touches here and there. On the mirror hung a pineapple scented air-freshener, next to his feet was a camera bag. And in the back seat, in the seat rested the roses. Wonwoo smiled and then noticed his destruction. The window adjacent to him was shattered. Blood dripped from his now semi-numb.

“Oh, my window.” The door opened and a person sat down. In their hand was a water bottle and french fries.

“I’m so sorry. Sometimes I get a bit nervous when I’m in small spaces and I couldn’t help myself. I’ll pay for this to get replaced. Please I am so sorry.” Wonwoo looked over at Mingyu with guilt painted all over his face. And yet Kim Mingyu was entirely relaxed.

“Don’t worry Wonwoo, I understand that. I accept it was just an accident. I accept you.” Mingyu smiled and handed the boy in the passenger seat with the items in his hand. “I brought water and food.” This time Mingyu was careful that they didn’t touch at all. Wonwoo’s lips curled up at the act of modest kindness. The little things like this usually never touched Wonwoo’s frozen heart. But since it was by Mingyu, it set him on fire. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone! Rin here. So with the wondrous arrival of spring comes sporta as well. Somtimes I
won't update every week because of events that are sports related. I will try my best to keep updating
as much often as I am now. Thank you!