Hope

Aged to Perfection

Chapter 4

 

Gwiboon had woken up when her daddy and grandpa came home. The family had eaten dinner a while ago. They were now all sitting in the living room watching tv together. Jinki had fallen asleep on the chair with Gwiboon on his chest, whom had also fallen asleep in papa’s warm embrace.

Eunsook couldn’t stop thinking about the letters she had found:  That kid is Banana right? But what is his real name? Who is he? Banana’s parents found out about them? How? Poor dad. He must have been so heartbroken. Whatever happened to Banana? How’d he meet him? How’d dad meet mom? Did he ever really love mom? No I’m being immature of course he loved mom. Everyone has a first love, it doesn’t matter the gender of that first love. Is dad biual? Is dad… gay? How could anyone keep a secret all their life?  She sighed softly as many thoughts raced through her mind; she glanced over to her father. Is this why you only loved mom and could never fall in love with another woman now that mom is gone? Do you still love him after all these years? Did mom know of this banana guy? Did mom ever know you were gay? She gently moved her father’s hair behind his ears and thought “I love you appa. It will be ok.”

“I’ll fix this.” She whispered

What’s that Sookie?” her husband whispered as to not wake them. Minho looked away from the tv to his wife. She grabbed his hand and led him up stairs. Minho was grinning like a fool thinking it was “steamy time” while the two slept. A slight frown formed when he realized quickly that was not Eunsook’s intentions. She led him to Jinki’s room. “Help me get these boxes down. I found out dad had a first love before my mother. And I want to know about him maybe I can find out his name and… ”

“Him?”

“Well, I think so. Not sure yet. I have to read more. I didn’t have time. You guys came home too soon. If only I had another hour. I’m sure I could have found out the name of who sent him all these letters.”

“I don’t know Sookie. That is his private stuff. What would he say if you read through his personal things?”

“He’d kill me so help me out so he doesn’t find out.”

“Eunsook let it go, please. Don’t drag his past out into the light. If a man has secrets, he wants them hidden for a reason.”

“I want to know”

“Why?”

“I… I just do."

“Are you mad at him for having a love before your mother?”

“No, I’m not immature. I do know everyone has one. I just want to know what she or he was like.”

“What makes you think it’s a he?”

“Help me with this and I’ll show you.”

“Eunsook wait. I love your father as if he were my own. I’d love him even if it turns out he is gay or was or whatever.. But will you? Are you doing this to find out if he is or isn’t because to me I don’t care if he is. You should not either.”

“No, honey of course I’d love appa no matter what. But a part of me wants to know. If it is true then it’s a part of him I should know. He should know we are cool with it, and that it doesn’t matter.  Times have changed since he was a kid, people are more open. If he had to hide who he really is his whole life, wouldn’t it be amazing to never hide anymore? I vowed to my mother I would take care of dad, I would make him happy. I am going to do it.”

“Ok let’s not assume anything until we know more. I’ll help you.” He lifted up the pile of sweaters and pulled out the shoe boxes. “Shiny Soul?”

“Yeah, why? You know the place?”

“Strange, today your dad mentioned he needed new shoes and said something about maybe taking a trip to Shiny Soul.”

“He did!”

“shh, you’ll wake them.”

She nodded and took the box from him and sat on his bedroom floor. “Well, if he has mentioned the shoe store, this kid use to work there. That means he is thinking of him. He still does love him, or thinks of him at least. We should reunite them if he is still alive.”

Minho nodded in agreement. They began to sift through the mass of papers, envelopes and photos. “Wow Jinki appa is so young in these. He looks like a baby. Whoa, Eunsook you look just like him.” Minho said showing her a photo of her dad with the young man.

“Oh, I hadn’t seen that one. Is there anything on the back? A name?”

He read the back “Banana and Tokki, our tree house - 1971.” he met her eyes and asked “Wouldn’t that make your dad 14?”

“Oh my god!” She flipped it over to read it. Then flipped it again looking at the happy couple’s image. “It’s him! I knew it!”  

“What’s it mean?” Minho asked

“It’s their pet names for each other. I am guessing they picked the names to use when my dad joined the army so he wouldn’t get caught getting love letters from a male name.”

“But what is this man’s name?” Minho said to himself as he looked for more information, just as addicted to the mystery as his wife. 

They read many letters; they had said “aw” too many times to count as they fell in love with their fathers love story.  Banana had written a few naughty things in a few of them. But it was written so beautifully and full of love: tasteful, romantic through and through. “So your dad has eyes as handsome as the ebony night sky. This guy is so into Jinki, it’s adorable.”

“I know right.” Eunsook giggled. As Minho folded up that letter his wife had already opened up another one. “This one looks really old, the paper is faded.” As they read, they discovered it was before Jinki had been drafted into the army. “aww, this is truly so cute. Imma cry.” Eunsook wiped her tear. It was cute little poems Banana wrote to Jinki, and Jinki had written to him. Still no names on this letter that was passed back and forth between the two boys countless times, each time one of them apparently added more to the letter. They read a few more: High school love notes and regular letters about how they hated their teacher. This made them both laugh that Jinki was complaining to this kid about his ugly teacher, there was even a drawing to demonstrate Teachers ugly face and hairy mole…. But the next letter would change everything…

Hyung, yesterday day and yesterday night was perfect. So romantic. I’ll remember it always. I guess this makes up grownups now. As I watch you sleep, I’ve already kissed your nose 3 times. “Beep!”  I have to get to school. I’ll be back as soon as it’s over.

I love you. Always yours, Taemin  <3

 

On the same paper, there was more…

 

To Taemin, if I’m not here by the time you come home from school it’s because I had to go to the butcher shop with my parents. I’ll come back as soon as I can “beeps” your nose back my sweet cutie.

I love you. Forever yours, Jinki  <3

 

“We have his name. And we know for a fact, you dad’s first love was with this Taemin. And apparently they made love the night before this letter. Are you ok with this news?” Minho rubbed her back softly.

She said softly staring at the letter “Taemin.”

He murmured “Sookie?”

“I’m fine. Do you think he is still alive?”

“Of course. This Taemin must be younger; he called him hyung. I’m sure he is alive.” 

“I want to meet him”

“I’m not sure; I’m having second thoughts about this, Sookie. You know something really private. He probably doesn’t want anyone to know about this. He might feel ashamed of his past. He is from an older generation. He’d feel you wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh my. A few weeks ago he said just that! He said I wouldn’t understand. He wanted to tell me the other night. But at the time I thought he meant I wouldn’t understand what it feels like when your spouse dies. He meant, I wouldn’t understand why he was so sad. He was missing her and began to miss him too. He has had two loves leave him. But I bet he feels so guilty for thinking of him while mourning her.” She looked down to the picture of her father with Taemin and said to the image “Life is complicated, but I understand dad. I will fix this. Mom would understand.”

“But what will Jinki appa say when he knows you read his private letters? He pours his heart out to this Taemin kid. And Taemin clearly did the same from what we have read. What if he doesn’t want to meet with him? Taemin broke up with him I am assuming. It will be opening old wounds.”

“He broke up with dad against his will, Minho. Taemin didn’t want to.”

“We can help him come out of the “closet” but reunite them? This is making me nervous. We don’t even know if Taemin is married? We don’t have a number or address; where would we even start in finding this Taemin fellow?”

“We didn’t read all of them, there is so much we don’t know and as much as I’d love to know more. I promise I won’t read more. It’s like a classic love story you read about or one of those chick flicks and this one will have a happy ending no matter the cost. He’ll understand. And we do know where to start our search: Shiny Soul!”

 

 

 

 


 

YAY!!! Taemin enters the story next! 

You go ahead with your awesome self, Sookie. Go find Taemin ;)

 

Please don't forget to leave a comment :D What do you think will happen next???