Birthday

Aged to Perfection

 

Chapter 10

The next weekend, the big day had arrived: Jinki’s birthday! It had been a good week leading up to the event. Taemin called him every other day and Jinki called him on the opposite days.

Eunsook heard the doorbell ring. “They’re here!” She smiled and walked out of the kitchen to the front of the house. “Minho pull the cake out of the oven. I’ll get the door.”

Minho nodded as she went to the door. As soon as she opened the door to greet their guests Jinki started shouting and signing up stairs. Taemin, Kibum, and Eunsook got startled and looked up the stair case.

“POTTY TIME POTTY TIME, MY BABY WENT PEE PEE ON THE POTTY! OH MY GOD, SOOKIE, MINHO OUR BABY WENT PEE ON THE POTTY! SHE DID IT, SHE DID IT. YESSS AWESOME.” after they heard the flushing sound and the sink running.

Eunsook laughed. “He must be washing her little hands.”

Soon they saw grandpa Jinki running down the stairs as fast as his bad knee would allow with a giggly Gwiboon on his hip. “Guys guys, she did it!” he shouted and started singing again. “Pee pee in the potty, pee pee in the pottyyyyy.” He sang as he raced down stairs. With all the commotion Minho walked over to the bottom of the steps and joined everyone staring at the happy old man. Suddenly Grandpa shut up half way down the stairs as soon as he saw Taemin and his son staring up at him next to his own family. “um hello.” Jinki said; the four adults at the foot of the stairs all cracked up and Gwiboon clapped her hands rapidly proud of herself. Jinki smiled brightly though, surprised he had company so soon but he wasn’t embarrassed. He was proud of his granddaughter and delcared. “Our little Ms. Diaper Buns soon will have a new name. I’m sure she will learn quickly and I shall name her Potty Queen!”

They cheered for her. Taemin tied with Eunsook in saying “Congratulations Gwiboon” first then Minho and Kibum also gave their congratulations to the little toddler.

Jinki finished coming down, and introduced his granddaughter. “BoonBoon, this is papa’s best friend Mr. Taemin. Can you say Taemin?”

She smiled cutely and mumbled “T-min.”

Taemin chuckled “aww, Hello Gwiboon.” He held out his hand, she shook his finger. “Congratulations on potty training.” He looked up to Jinki with a smile, and misty eyes. “She is perfect hyung. So beautiful too.”

“Thank you Taemin.”

“This is my son Kibum.”

Kibum bowed and then shook Jinki’s hand. “Nice to meet you Mr. Lee. Happy birthday, sir.”

“Wow, so formal.” He chuckled. “You may call me, Jinki. It’s alright. My birthday wish is that,  I want all of us all to feel like family.”

Kibum nodded with a warm smile. Jinki continued “This is my son in law, Choi Minho, and of course you know my Eunsookie.”

Gwiboon randomly shouted out “Bum!” and reached forward to shake his finger too; Kibum took her little chubby hand in his and copied her excitement saying “Boon!” making them all chuckle.

They all greeted each other warmly; Jinki’s wish was coming true, everyone felt comfortable, it felt as if they all have known each other for years: like family. “Come let’s get this party started.” Eunsook said as she led them to the living room to sit and talk comfortably. Minho and Kibum followed her first while Taemin shut the front door they left open as they all watched Jinki bring the baby down stairs as he sang moments ago.

After closing the door, he sighed happily with a soft smile “Happy Birthday Hyung.”

“Thank you Taemin.”

“Shall we?”  Taemin gestured to the living room.

Jinki nodded and walked Taemin to join the rest of them in the living room. As they walked Jinki asked “So what do you think of Ms Gwiboon, here?”

“I think she is perfect hyung. So pretty, just like her mother. They both look like you.” He smiled at Jinki tenderly. So proud of his hyung. “Being a grandpa suits you. I’m happy for you… and you too Gwiboon. I’m happy you went to the potty for the first time. Woohoo” He held up his hand for a high five.  Gwiboon gave him a good strong slap to his hand. “Whoa good high five.” He smiled at her then taped his finger to the tip of her nose; Jinki and Taemin both said “beep”

The nose beep caught Kibum, Eunsook and Minho’s attention. They saw the two older men giggle and slightly blush from doing the same thing. Gwiboon bopped both their noses and said beep to her grandpa and then Taemin. The three were giggly on the side of the living room.  

As the other trio stared from the couch, Minho whispered “So um Kibum, does your dad do the nose beep all the time? Cause, Jinki does.” He smirked thinking they were too cute.

“Yep, all the time.” He chuckled

Eunsook smiled and whispered too “I guess that was their thing from before they broke up and it carried on into their lives with their families too.”

“It was in that letter you read, remember? Taemin beeped Jinki’s nose, because he thought he had a cute nose.” Minho murmured.

Kibum didn’t know that information and he started to chuckle more. “Gosh, that’s too cute. Eunsook, you’ll have to make me copies of those infamous love letters.” She smacked his arm playfully as she laughed quietly “I can’t do that. They’d kill me.”

Then Kibum along with Minho “It’s not like dad would give you a spanking for it, you’re too old.” They all laughed and that got the attention of their parents. “I see our kids get along well, hyung.”

“Good.” Jinki beamed and began moving again. They finally made it to the living room and sat down to join their adult children. Jinki offered his comfy chair to Taemin then sat at the end of the couch with Gwiboon on his lap.

Eunsook gave her husband wide eyes, as to mentally tell him “he never lets anyone sit there.”   

Minho mouthed “I know” in surprise.

When Jinki and Taemin were busy chatting and playing with Gwiboon, the married couple whispered to Kibum that Taemin is sitting in the most important spot in the house.

Kibum mouthed “Are they dating?”

Eunsook and Minho shrugged.

Not wanting to look suspicious, they changed the subject for now since they didn’t want to be so quiet with their fathers so nearby, they wouldn’t want their parents to think they didn’t get along. Eunsook started a conversation at a normal volume, no longer whispering and mouthing, her husband and new friend chuckled at how loud she got so suddenly but they got the hint and let the topic go while their dad’s were present.

 The families got to know each other pretty well, there was laughter, and stories and plenty of conversation, not one dull moment as the families got to know one another. Taemin told a story about Jinki’s 11th birthday party where he, Taemin, slipped on Jinki’s mothers freshly waxed kitchen floor and fell. His face planting right in the middle of Jinki’s cake.   “I ruined the cake but I’m sure I looked hilarious.”

“You did.” Jinki laughed remembering the fond memory. “He landed right on the word HAPPY, the letters “HA” were plastered to his forehead. And the cake was chocolate, looked like poo all over his face with bright yellow “Ha” on his face.” Jinki wiped his tears from laughing too hard.

“With only those letters sticking to my face it seemed as if your cake was laughing at me. Saying Ha HA Taemin you dork.” They all had a hardy laugh at Taemin’s childhood misfortune. Taemin turned to look at Eunsook. “Your father called me Poop Taemin for 2 weeks!”

“I had too, you ruined my cake and I was 11.” He smiled playfully and added “Cake is very important.” The two families erupted into more laughter.

Taemin took a deep breath trying to stop laughing “Why did your mom have to use super duper floor cleaner.” He wiped his tears from his laughing eyes as well.

Eunsook chuckled “That is true; my grandmother did always have super slippery floors.”

“That cake tasted too good too.” Jinki’s sighed happily.

That conversation sparked the topic of everyone’s favorite birthday party. Minho and Kibum told their favorite birthday’s as children then Eunsook took her turn then back around to Taemin and her father again and Jinki finished the topic with a cute story of Gwiboon’s first birthday.

They ended up talking for a few hours. Jinki talked a lot about his past with his wife and before he met her with Taemin as children and as a couple. Taemin did the same. Both elderly men found it freeing and fun to talk so openly, talking about all the good old memoires they had with their wives and before hand when they use to be a couple. The adult children learned so much about their Fathers and they even got teased when embarrassing stories of them as babies came into conversation. Like the story Taemin told of his son when he was three: Kibum’s diaper had fallen off in the ocean and he was running about the shore with sandy cheeks as he and his wife chased after him. “Dad!” Kibum face palmed.  Or the time when Eunsook was 5 and got into her mother’s makeup.. “I asked Sookie, What are you doing? And she said “Nothing” I said honey, did you put on mom’s make up and she looked me dead in the eyes and said No. But here is the kicker, she had so much makeup on, she looked like a clown. It was so hard not to laugh at her or punish her for lying. My Sookie was too cute.”

A good laugh, good conversation and feeling comfortable, the families bonding and blended well. All and all things were going perfectly and when they started talking about both their business, Shiny Soul and Lee’s Family butcher shop, Eunsook left to frost the cake. Kibum and Minho joined her to give the two older gentleman private time. 

“I think they make a great couple.” Kibum smiled. “I approve of your father asking mine out. And I like you guys, it’s like I just got a new sister and brother. I’m having a great time. ”

Eunsook explained. “They aren’t dating, not that I know of. My father says they are just friends.”

“Pfft.” Minho and Kibum both rolled their eyes.  “Just friends?”  The three quietly snuck to the kitchen door and peeked their heads out to spy on their fathers. They saw Jinki handing over Gwiboon to Taemin. Eunsook whispered “She’ll throw a fit…….wait what?” Gwiboon gladly went to Taemin and even hugged him. “I don’t believe it.”  Eunsook breathed and ducked back into the kitchen, the two men followed her. “She, likes him. She let someone else hold her. That never happens.”

Kibum smiled “My father’s got the magic with kids too.” He winked.

They look into the room again and what they saw a few moments later warmed their hearts….

………….

“T-Min, T-Min, T-Min.”

“Gwiboon, Gwiboon Gwiboon.” Taemin smiled, and she giggled more.

“Want to hold her?” Jinki asked

“Sure.” He held out his arms and Jinki placed her in his arms.

Jinki smiled happily “She likes you!”

“Well, she has good taste just like her grandpa.” Taemin smiled shyly; Jinki blushed.

“T-Min!” she giggled and snuggled into his chest. “Aww, Tokki can I keep her?” He asked cutely.

“She’s not a puppy Poop Taem.” They both chuckled.

“I want a grandbaby too. Look how cute she is.” He hugged the little girl then let her crawl around his lap. She eventually settled down and started playing with his shoulder length hair, patting it and flipping it around. Taemin didn’t mind, just like Jinki he let her do what she wanted. He kept on talking “So what do you think of Kibum?”

“Handsome of course, just like his father.”The elder said making Taemin blush.

“I think our kids get along good. I’m very happy for you, Jinki. I know I said this over the phone the other day but I’m proud of you for coming out to your family. It all worked out.”

“Thank you Taemin. I’m so grateful that you came back into my life. I never would have done it otherwise. It feels good. It feels like this is how it always should have felt.”

“I bet they're in there wondering why we aren’t dating. After my divorce Kibum had asked many times to start seeing someone. I want to do it when I want to not because they want me too. I mean I know they mean no harm they just want to be helpful and want us to be happy but it’s annoying.” He chuckled; Jinki laughed as well. “I know what you mean. Eunsook was like that a few weeks back. But I told her we are just friends like you and I had talked about at the restaurant, that we didn’t want to rush anything just because we were happy to see each other after all these years. I said that we have to get to know each other again … but Taemin.”

“Yeah?”

“In this short amount of time of seeing each other twice and talking on the phone during the week and our children being so kind and understanding..” He trailed off, unsure if he should say aloud the thoughts in his mind, which were: I think we were wrong. I think It wouldn’t be rushing it if we were.. If I were to ask you out….” His heart started beating rapidly, his palms became sweaty and his belly swarmed with butterflies. Realizing he had paused for a while as he thought; he swallowed and bravely through his nervousness continued aloud “May I ask you…”

The corners of Taemin’s lips curled up into a big warm smile. “Yes, Tokki?”

Jinki reached out; Taemin placed his hand in his; Jinki asked in his mind “Banana, would you like to go on a date with me?” but out loud he asked softly with a tear in his eye. “I’m so happy right now, this all means so much to me. You being here with me. May I hug you?”

Taemin had a feeling what Jinki was thinking, he was just as nervous as the elder, he smiled tenderly as he answer his spoken question “Yes” He leaned forward, Gwiboon sliding to his side; she giggled as the long lost lovers hugged in a lovely, sweet, and emotional long overdue hug. Being a toddler she had no clue of the tender moment, all she saw was she was being left out of a papa Jinki hug... Gwiboon crawled off Taemin’s lap and stood up on the chair, facing the sides of their shoulders she cried happily “Grandpa, T-Min HUG!” she flung herself on to both of them in a group hug. Jinki and Taemin laughed and pulled their arms out from under her belly and enclosed her into their hug. With a warbly voice due to being overwhelmed with emotions Jinki said softly with tears in his voice “Come here Potty Queen.” and kissed her cheek. “I think she approves too, Banana.” she saw a tear on Grandpa’s cheek and pouted “Papa sad?” She wiped his cheek.

He smiled through misty eyes and softly told her “No honey, Papa is very happy.” They remained in a hug a little while longer; Over Jinki’s shoulder Taemin wiped his own happy tear. Jinki heard him sniffle.

………

Eunsook, Kibum, and Minho ducked back into the kitchen. Eunsook faced them and held up her hands, Minho high fived her left and Kibum high fived the right; they broke out into a cute and silent happy dance. Their fathers took another step towards happiness.

…………….

“Come on, cake is important.” Jinki said as he pulled out of the hug, making Taemin laugh. “Cake stops tears.”

Taemin snickered “Hyung” He wiped his cheek, Jinki wiped his own as well and said “It’s true and I’m hungry.” They shared a chuckle.

 Jinki placed Gwiboon on the floor. “Go to your mama.” She ran off shouting “cake time” as she barreled towards the kitchen. Jinki smiled and held Taemin’s hand walking him to the kitchen.

Entering the kitchen they separated hands after giving each other a soft shy smile. After some small chit-chat it was time. Minho pulled out Jinki’s chair at their round kitchen table, right next to Gwiboon’s high chair. He motioned for Taemin to sit on Jinki's other side.  Minho sat on Gwiboon’s other side ready to help her with her food if she needed it. Eunsook sat next to Minho. Kibum sat between his father and Eunsook.  After a nice meal, it was time for cake! Eunsook lit the candles then teased “Mr. Lee do not face plant into this one.” They all chuckled; Taemin smiled “I won’t.”

They all sang happy birthday. Jinki made a wish and blew out the candles then they lit them again so Gwiboon could do it... she just had to copy grandpa.  After cake and ice-cream Eunsook shouted “Ok, Present time!” Minho carried his baby over to the sink; he washed off clumps of cake from Gwiboon’s legs that had fallen into her lap and the smears of chocolate frosting off her face and chubby fingers while Taemin and Eunsook went to grab the presents. Taemin had left his in his car and Eunsook’s and her families were in her bedroom closet.

Kibum smiled and said kindly “Thank you for inviting me Jinki. I’m having a great time.”

“Thank you for coming. I am enjoying myself. Thank you for always taking care of your father for me.”

Kibum smiled, “I’m sure my dad is saying thank you to Eunsook for the same reason.”

Minho chimed in “I’m sure he is too. And I don’t know about your father Kibum, But Eunsook’s is a handful.” He joked

“I am not.” Jinki playful shoved his son-in-law.

“But it is us that should be thanking you. Both of you have made so many sacrifices for your families. It’s the least us kids can do. Making sure you guys get what you deserve: happiness everyone deserves it. And we love our fathers what can I say. My dad is awesome and from what I’ve seen today, you are too, so it’s easy when you have the best dads ever. And after getting to know your family today very well, I feel as if I’ve known them forever. Seems like your birthday wish for us all to feel like family came true. I consider you all family now so if there is anything you or your family needs please do not hesitate to call me or my father. Happy birthday Mr Lee. May you have a long and happy life and may all your other wishes come true.”

 “Thank you Kibum. That is very kind of you.”   

Taemin and Eunsook had come back and from the door way of the kitchen they heard their lovely conversation. “I do feel the same Taemin.” She whispered

“I know. Me too. Thank you.” He hugged her then walked the rest of the way into the kitchen. Jinki and Taemin felt so happy their children were so supportive, especially Jinki for his children hadn’t known about his orientation as long as Taemin’s had or known of Taemin and his son very long at all: it felt surreal, a dream come true.

 Jinki opened up Gwiboon’s present first. He started by pealing the blue bow off of the package and stuck it to her hair. She giggled. I have a feeling she’ll be wearing the bow the rest of the night. He tore open the wrapping paper, the present was a framed drawing. She drew him a picture of him and her sitting in his comfy chair together. His chair though wasn’t the soft gray color it is in real life, the one she drew had pink hearts all over it.  “awww, I love it.” He kissed her cheek. “I lub you.” She said. “I love you too.” he replied cutely.

Minho handed him his present next. Jinki opened it. It was a shirt and written on it was World’s best grandpa. “You heard me joking with Eunsook the other day about having something that says this didn’t you? I really did want something like this. Thank you!”

“Yes, I overheard you and went and bought it right away. Happy Birthday father-nim. Now the next time you take Ms. BoonBoon to the playground you better wear it.”

“I will!” The happy elderly man smiled goofily. They all giggled at his cuteness.

Kibum smiled and handed him his present next. “What is it?” Jinki took the big heavy box from his hands.

Kibum chuckled lightly. “Open it.”

Jinki sat the box on the kitchen table and tore open the paper and burst out into laughter once it was unwrapped. It was a safe. Eunsook shot Kibum a look and sighed at him. They all laughed along as Kibum teased “Now, keep your letters and stuff in here and remember to use the lock or else your daughter will get to them.” 

“Kibum!” Taemin gave him a look only a parent could give. Kibum mumbled “sorry, it’s funny though.” Eunsook playfully punched Kibum’s arm.

They all chuckled again.

Jinki smiled warmly “Thank you everyone. To Eunsook for bringing back my friend into my life. To Lee’s for coming and to my family for the lovely dinner and cake. For understanding, and being so kind to me. All of it, thank you guys. It means a lot. I really mean it.”

“But wait I haven’t given you my present” Taemin chimed in

“Oh yes, of course.” Jinki smiled and Taemin placed a regtalge box on the table as Minho removed the safe for him.

Jinki opened the wrapping paper to reveal a box and written on it was Shiny Soul. He opened the lid. It was a pair of shiny black dress shoes. Taemin hand crafted the shoes himself the night he meet Eunsook. Taemin had promised to make him shoes when they were younger and never got the chance because of their pact to break up for the greater good all those decades ago. But now no longer bound by the pact, and no longer his father’s apprentice but an outstanding expert, his skill surpassing his father’s talent of shoe making he finally fulfilled his promise. He took in the account of how his feet made have gotten a bit larger, wider with age. He prayed nervously they fit him well and Jinki would love them and remember. But soon the tear from Jinki’s misty crinkled corner of his eye told him he did remember and was deeply touched. Taemin felt his own eyes dampen as Jinki said almost in a whisper “Thank you, they are lovely”

The other older male softly said “Sorry, it took so long to give you shoes.”

And just as quietly and with a faint smile of joy Jinki replied “They were worth the wait.”

No teasing or prying, Eunsook, Minho, and Kibum stayed silent; they knew something must be behind this moment and they are mature enough to let it stay private between their fathers.

The elderly adults shared eye contact for a long moment before Taemin started to blush. Jinki felt the heat rise in his own cheeks so he blinked and shook it off and giggled “I’m going to try them on now.”

Taemin grinned happily watching him slip his feet smoothly into the shoes. Jinki settled his heels into them and stood up and started walking. “They feel good, they fit perfectly.”

“Good, I’m glad.” Taemin was busy staring at Jinki’s feet that he was taken back when warm arms embraced him. Jinki thanking him in a hug and whispering over his shoulder “Thank you. They are beautiful, just like I dreamed they would be.” Taemin wrapped his arms around him and said “You’re welcome.”

Once the hug ended Eunsook spoke softly “You have one more present…. from me.”

Jinki kept the shoes on and sat back down at the table. He opened the present he was given: Two photo Frames. The one she had made the day she accidently found his secret box and another filled with all the photos from said box of him and Taemin. Her thoughtful gift showing her full acceptance to both sides of his life including the one he had kept hidden. He began sobbing as he watched the photos filter through to the next and the next. Eunsook walked over and leaned over and hugged him where he sat. Minho joined their hug, the toddler adorably copied, draping her arms over her family, soon Jinki was engulfed in a supportive group hug as Taemin and his son also joined the embrace. Eunsook soothed him; she rubbed his back as she cooed. “Love, you dad. Happy Birthday.”

Over the hug, Jinki could see the pictures fading into the next ones. In one frame His wedding photo, in the other him with Taemin in the tree house. His tears slowed “Thank you.” There wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Feeling the overwhelming love from everyone he whispered “My life… It was worth it.”

……………..

After all the gifts were given and things had settled back down Minho and Kibum were chatting in the kitchen and Eunsook was getting Gwiboon ready for bed when Jinki and Taemin wondered back into the living room to talk. Taemin poured his hyung a drink as Jinki showed him all the photos in his frame. “This one was Eunsook’s 1st birthday.”

“Aw, she was such a cute baby.” Taemin smiled then took another sip of his own drink.

“I have always done the nose beep to her since that day. I do it to Gwiboon all the time too.”

“Well, your family does have cute noses just like you.” He beeped his nose.

Jinki chuckled. “By now my daughter knows I got that habit from you.” They shared a laugh then Jinki began again. “Your son is funny, buying me a safe.”

“I didn’t know he bought that. I was wondering what it was but he never told me. So I was surprised as you were. Well, it’s a good thing she did open that old shoe box in your closet or else him and I would not have been able to be here tonight.”

“Oh look at this old photo of us.” Jinki said pointing to the other digital frame. It was a photo of the two of them near the creek in the woods behind their parent’s houses. “It’s where we first met.” They smiled at the picture, the old memories. They sighed happily.

Jinki raised his glass “Cheers to the old shoe box”

“Cheers” They clicked their glasses together. After the glass chimed into each other a peaceful silence fell upon them. They stared into one another’s eyes, until Taemin batted his lashes and shyly looked away. He knew if he stared much longer his stomach would start to flutter. Jinki stammered “Tae..Taemin?”

“Yes, Hyung.” and as if in slow motion he closed his eyes and turned his head opening his eyes to see a shy smile from the elder.

“Today was a great day. We all got to catch up on everything. Our families get along well. I have made up my mind. I don’t think we need to wait…  Why, what are we waiting for? To learn the differences that have occurred since we broke up, I mean true things have changed but yet not much has changed. I’m still the old Jinki you use to know. I hope anyways. And the things that have changed, let’s learn them together but not as best friends like planned until the time was right. The time is now. This is the right time.  I want to go on a … Will you…” he heard the talking in the kitchen from the others which made him feel nervous again suddenly; he took a deep breath. “Why am I nervous?”

“Don’t be. Nothing to be afraid of anymore, hyung.” Taemin patted his hand and let him finish, it was important in Jinki’s coming out process asking on his own. “You can do this.”

“I know.” He took another breath to steady his nerves and ask what he only could dream of asking. “Will you go on a date with me, my sweet banana?”

“Yes, my sweet Tokki.” The words he longed to hear, a tear slipped from Taemin’s eyes. He proudly repeated “Yes.” He hugged him and cried softly “I’ve missed you, Tokki.”

“I’ve missed you too, Banana”

They heard Eunsook coming down stairs; they separated from their tender hug like shy teenagers. They shared a smile as they heard her informing them as she left the steps and rounded the corner to the living room. “Just put her down for the night. She is out like a light. Don’t forget to kiss her before you go to bed dad.”

“I’d never forget Sokki.”

“I know.” She smiled.

Taemin stood up “Well, that’s our cue to get on out of here. I’ll let you guys get ready for bed too.” Eunsook noticed the old man’s blushing cheeks. She smirked “You don’t have to leave Taemin.”

“It’s ok. We had a lovely time but we really should get going. Thank you for having us over. We have to open the store in the morning and help Bummie with the Inventory.” He turned his head towards the kitchen “Kibum, get your coat.”

“Coming!” Kibum shouted

“shh, the baby is sleeping” Taemin added.

Kibum and Minho walked out of the kitchen and into the living living room. Kibum whispered. “I’m sorry, Hope I didn’t wake her.”

Jinki chuckled cutely. “Nah, she’ll be fine. She sleeps like a rock. Just like me. And Taemin call me when you guys get home. It’s dark out, drive safe.”

Minho said “Like a rock or not, the phone might wake her up though. Text my father when you guys get home safely.”

Taemin never texted before, he always called Kibum, called everyone; he felt embarrassed “Um, Kibum, did you ever install that talktalk thing on my phone?”

“Kakaotalk, dad. Yes I put kakao on your phone. I’ll show you how to text Jinki.”

Jinki smiled at him “Don’t worry Taemin, I don’t really text either. Minho and Eunsook do all the time. Minho asks if I need anything on his way home from work and I just text back one word answers. Like no or yes then that’s it. I type really slowly on it, like turtle slow or my stubby fingers hit other letters and numbers I don’t want to use. So I never use the text thingy.”

Feeling relived, Taemin blushed again giving Jinki a soft smile. “You don’t have stubby fingers, hyung. You have very nice hands.”

“Thank you.” Jinki blushed this time.

Taemin and Kibum said goodbye and thanked Eunsook for inviting them. They chatted a little longer at the front door and as they all said their good byes. Minho nudged Jinki’s elbow and whispered for his ears only “Texting, well, you’ll use it more now that you have someone to text.” He winked making his father- in- law flustered. Smiling handsomely Jinki said his last good bye to Taemin. “Bye Taemin. See you soon.”

“See you this Friday, Hyung.” He smiled cutely. “Happy Birthday, Good night.”

“Nighty night.” Jinki softly said as Taemin stepped out of the house behind his son. Jinki and his family waved from the door until the car drove out of sight. Kibum smirked handsomely, noticing his father was extra chipper suddenly; In the car Kibum asked how things went….Taemin thought of moments ago with a smile…

……………….

 Jinki shut the house door and leaned his back on it as he smiled with a belly full of butterflies dreaming of the events that took place today and that special one that happened only just a few minutes ago.

“Will you go on a date with me, my sweet banana?”

“Yes, my sweet Tokki.”

Eunsook and Minho smiled. “Dad? So you had a good time I take it?”

He snapped out of it. “Oh yes, I loved it. Enjoyed every last minute of it.” He hugged her and thanked her again.

“So, you guys are hanging out Friday?” she asked

……………….

Smiling dreamily and feeling warm and cozy with lovely butterflies in his belly, Taemin smiled and answered “I have a date.”

…………….

Meanwhile in the house Jinki beamed and answered at the same time “It’s a date.”

“Really? That’s awesome. Congratulations, Dad!”

“Good for you man.” Minho patted his back.

“Let’s talk more in the morning.” He tapped the tip of her nose “Beep. Good night.” He smiled and turned around facing the stairs. “I… I asked him out.” He said dreamily and walked past them and up the stairs.

“Good night Appa.” They said, they leaned their backs up against the front door and watched as Jinki walked up the stairs, he had a bounce in his step. He was clearly on could 9.  Minho turned his head; he softly kissed his wife’s cheek. “You did it. You saved him; you mended your father’s broken heart.”

Jinki whispered gaily to himself again as he reached the top of the landing “I have a date with my Taemin.”  He felt like he was floating. Telling his children wasn’t awkward, nor was he nervous anymore. No guilt. Free. The elderly gentleman finally felt happy, truly happy. The night was a success. He lay down in bed with the two new photo frames on his bedside table. Lying down, didn’t feel so lonely anymore. There was hope… In photographs and in real life, seeing both sides of his life coming together as one, a faint smile appeared. As his eyes slowly unfocussed on the pictures and his heavy lids slipped closed and sleep took over his aged body he thought of a kiss. It is the last thing he needs to feel complete, to feel whole at last. … A kiss on the lips he has missed.