Chapter 33

Letters from the Void
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Bin thought Taehyung might have fallen asleep again when it was all too quiet, and he was about to shout into his commander when Taehyung’s gritty voice filled his ears. “Whose ID chip are you referring to?”

“Your sister’s.” He could hear Taehyung let out a sharp breath before scrambling to get up. “She isn’t the target. Someone else might have unfinished business with the original owner of the ID chip, but the controller have no idea that the original owner is dead. So he or she ended up controlling Taehee instead.”

Moon Bin let Taehyung absorb his new theory for a few minutes, and he swore he heard Taehyung mumble something under his breath. Taehyung didn’t say anything, so he asked, “You do know who originally owns the chip, right?”

Silence. Moon Bin was starting to get nervous. “Kim Taehyung?”

“I bought it without knowing the origins. If I don’t ask any questions, then they wouldn’t ask me any. That’s how things work.”

Moon Bin closed his eyes in disappointment. Of course. He saw it coming, but still he had hoped it would be a special case this time. These businesses thrive on the ‘no questions asked’ policy. One wrong question and you might end up being on the table instead. It’s a dangerous place but suitable for someone desperate. Then and there, Moon Bin made a decision. “Tell me where you got it. I will go there myself.”

“Moon Bin it’s dangerous-“

“I know, but if we’re going to solve this problem, we’re going to have to cut off the roots. I’m a detective for a reason; what’s the use of being one if I’m not able to take risks?”

Taehyung was quiet at the end of the line. He bit his lips, debating whether it was wise of him to give it away. At that time he was desperate; he didn’t think how dangerous it was to be involved in a seedy business, but he wanted to save his sister so he would do anything. He decided that this meant that he could protect his sister from further harm, so before he knew it he was reciting the whole address where the dark business was held. He reminded Moon Bin to be careful just in time before the detective ended the call.

At his apartment, Taehyung stood stone-faced as he stared at his commander. Moon Bin had ended the call a long time ago, but he wouldn’t let go of his device. He gripped his commander as he laid there, deep in his thoughts. He knew he shouldn’t have given the address, because he felt something bad was going to happen. Without missing a beat, he dialed back the detective’s number. The call did not come through; Moon Bin already switched off his commander.

There was no turning back.

***

While driving, he repeated the address in his head, making sure that he wasn’t missing any information. After making sure the actual path to go there, he immediately switched off his commander. He was more curious than nervous; he wanted to find out the real person behind Taehee’s weird behaviour. He was especially curious on why the controller was too keen on getting their hands on the original owner of the chip. He kept his eyes trained on the road, and noticed that there were less and less people as he neared the address. After double-checking the address, he parked his car in a more open space.

He got off and he snatched off everything that would scream ‘detective’ from his body; his badge, identification and holster. He left everything in his car, and he was only left with his car keys and wallet as he made his way to the dark alleyway. Foul stench filled his nostrils as he treaded along the rough walkway, missing sunlight as he went deeper and deeper. There were no living person in sight, and he had to make sure he was on the right track. He crossed over puddles, avoided piles of trash and ducked under a wooden plank before reaching the said address.

The roller shutter was half-closed, and he could hear murmurs inside. Gathering his courage, he knocked on the divider; it was a special one as instructed by Taehyung. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to gain access. The murmurs stopped, and silence followed before footsteps made its way to the entrance. Moon Bin saw two pairs of feet wearing leather shoes, before coming face to face with a man bearing a huge mole on his left cheek as he lifted up the roller shutter. He lifted an eyebrow, waiting for Moon Bin to mention what he wanted.

The secret code.

So he mentioned the secret code and was let in without a problem. His whole body was searched, and he was silently grateful that he took out all of his identification. A det

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter