Chapter 22

Letters from the Void
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sanha served a cup of iced coffee to Moon Bin, who was sitting at the table at the furthest corner. He was flipping through a book while concentrating on the words written out.

“Hyung, it’s so weird seeing you as a customer and not as a waiter.”

Moon Bin put down his book. Sanha hugged the tray as he watched Moon Bin sipping on the iced coffee. “Sorry kid; it was undercover work so I had to hide my identity and work as a waiter instead.”

“Who would’ve thought that this Moon Bin would be a detective?” Jin Jin walked over, taking the seat in front of Moon Bin.

“Oh, hyung, I have to go and help Taehee noona. Enjoy your coffee!” the youngest said before scurrying off to help.

Only Moon Bin and Jin Jin were left there, unable to bring up a topic to converse about. Moon Bin ran his eyes to the counter before saying, “I think a customer is about to pay.” Jin Jin followed his gaze before excusing himself to carry out his duty as the cashier. Moon Bin sighed before returning his attention to the book on the table. He tried making out the words on the pages, but he knew that his mind couldn’t concentrate anymore. Frustrated, he put the book down before thinking about all the events that brought everything to this.

Moon Bin worked as a detective in a department, which specialized in catching escaped criminals and runaway convicts. As soon as he received the case regarding Kim Taehyung, he knew that something was amiss. He tried putting the issue forward, claiming that Taehyung was innocent and there was definitely something bigger behind it. To make matters worse, he was threatened that his position would be snatched from him if he decided to keep on with his ‘unreasonable theory’. He kept his stance, and it just made him more suspicious as he was laid off, receiving a reminder that he shouldn’t ‘stand in the way of a clear case’.

After he lost the job, he went straight to find Eunwoo, as he knew that the owner of the restaurant had something to do with the case. It was a bit of work to convince him that he was a real detective and he believed that Taehyung was innocent; it took up almost one week of working as a waiter and trying to make Eunwoo believe him. He almost gave up after that long and tiring week of delivering food and tending to customers; he was just about to decide that working at a restaurant wasn’t for him, when Eunwoo called him and gave him exactly 3 minutes to explain everything.

So he did, and in exchange of his trust Eunwoo told him about Taehee, who was unconscious at that time. He was in fact surprised when Eunwoo brought in Taehee as the new worker –as Choi Haeun- but he had to keep his act as to make sure that nothing was revealed. To him, the girl seemed normal; if he hadn’t known, he wouldn’t suspect that the girl would be a cyborg at all. Though he had no idea about what Eunwoo went through. He had grown fond of the owner of the restaurant after working for him for more than one month.

He realized he had a lot to learn about Eunwoo, but now it would be hard to find out about his past. After the successful mission of capturing Yoo Youngjae, he guessed that he was just lucky he was rehired, but now all he wanted to do was just rewind time.

He nimbly closed the book, took one last sip from the cup and took out cash to cover the price of the coffee. He waved to Jin Jin before slipping the note under the cup. He gestured that he’s going to leave and he received a ‘be careful on your way’ from both Sanha and Taehee. He kept walking on the street, but as he wanted to cross to the other side, he received a call.

He looked at the small clip on his collar and noted the caller ID. It was Kim Taehyung. He slid his finger over the device and registered the voice of Taehee’s brother.

“Moon Bin, there’s someone who wants to meet us.”

He paused.

When Taehyung kept silent for too long, Moon Bin enquired, “Who?”

“Eunwoo’s older brother… Cha Jungwoo.”

“Why would he want to meet us?”

“He told me that he had something he wanted to tell us, something that’s related to Cha Eunwoo.”

Taehyung delivered the information regarding the meeting and now Moon Bin changed his destination. Instead of crossing the road, he passed by the restaurant once again and walked towards the other direction. Some were staring at him for his unusual appearance; he was bloodied and bruised, but he didn’t mind. It was part of his job as a detective anyway. After all, it involved running to catch criminals and maybe getting into a fight more often than not.

He took out his transportation card as he entered the subway station, making sure that he was heading in the correct direction as he waited for the train to arrive. It wasn’t the rush hour, so there weren’t so many people. Even though there were many empty seats, he opted to stand. He leaned against the pole, supporting himself as the train lurched forward. He studied his surroundings; almost all of the people in the compartment were too absorbed with their screens. Some were seen nodding off, but he saw no real conversation. The train was quiet as it made its journey, and he let the train stop at a few stations before the announcement of his desired stop was mentioned through the space.

In no time he was already standing in front of the intended place of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter