Chapter 18

Letters from the Void
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haeun had wanted to go and find Taehyung that instant, but Eunwoo insisted that Moon Bin had everything under control. It would probably take around 3 hours to reach the Void from here, and it seemed that she was really exhausted. He assured her to go rest and they would start moving the next day. It was a mission to find Kim Taehyung before the authorities had a chance to lay their hands on him. After some of her memories found their way back, she had dozed off and was now sleeping on the sofa. She stirred when Eunwoo moved away, wanting to pour himself a cup of cold water. As he went to the kitchen he noticed the pan wasn’t in its usual place. Was it Moon Bin that helped Haeun to clean the mess she made?

The words Moon Bin said to him replayed in his head: While you’re probably off gallivanting she was worried that you might be angry because your kitchen was a mess! She didn’t even care about her hand.

Instantly he was reminded of his date, which didn’t go so well. When the girl grabbed his hand and he admitted to having someone else on his mind, she had pleaded for him to at least stay through that one date. He followed, knowing that it’s rude for him to leave her just like that. So the rest of the date went on awkwardly, and she didn’t try to start a conversation either. After it was all over, he went back to his parents’ house, immediately telling that he definitely had someone on his mind. Her mother’s face clearly showed that she was surprised, but she went along. She didn’t even ask about his date as he stepped out of the house. His mother’s driver asked whether he wanted to be taken home, but he had shaken his head.

How could he face Haeun like that?

So the driver brought him to a hotel, where he rented out a room for a night. That whole night, he couldn’t sleep thinking how it would turn out if Taehyung didn’t ask for his help. If he hadn’t, he probably would’ve never met Haeun. But how could he be sure that she had no boyfriend? What if, at this exact moment, her boyfriend, was mourning over her death? There was no way to find out, since Haeun herself lost her memories, while Eunwoo totally had no idea about her past. Taehyung didn’t mention anyone else, but Eunwoo couldn’t brush away the possibility that Rocky might’ve had feelings for Haeun- or Taehee.

That’s why he was still cautious around her. It would be unfair for Rocky, or whoever else who was in a relationship with Kim Taehee, since he only appeared in the middle of the story and decided he had feelings for Haeun. It would only seem like he’s stealing Haeun unjustly. And just because he liked her, it didn’t mean that Haeun would feel the same way. It’s not something that you could force on someone.

He finished pouring the cup of cold water when he heard Haeun . It seemed like she was in pain, but she didn’t open her eyes. She only turned her head to the left before he heard a soft snore. He smiled before making his way to her. Carefully and quietly, he slipped his hands behind her back and under her legs and heaved her up. Her whole body didn’t move, except for her chest. It rose up and down slowly, and she seemed so peaceful in that state. Holding her close to his chest, he struggled to open the bedroom door while making sure not to wake her up.

Putting her down on the bed, he spread the blanket over her and dimmed the lights. After making sure everything was fine, he turned to leave. He was about to creep out of the room when he heard her call his name.

“Cha Eunwoo…” Her eyes were still closed.

Eunwoo blinked, unsure whether she was just talking in her sleep or she was actually calling for him. She slowly lifted her lids, and directed her eyes at him. Her lips parted, and her voice was slow but he could hear the words clearly. “Thank you, Cha Eunwoo. For protecting me all this while.”

He wanted to reply, but was stopped short when a soft snore filled the whole room. He laughed but caught himself before it became too loud. “You’re welcome, Choi Haeun. You’re welcome, Kim Taehee,” he whispered and closed the door. The night went on with him cleaning up the letters on the table and ended up sleeping on the sofa himself.

***

“Cha Eunwoo! We missed him,” Moon Bin announced through the video call that morning. “It seemed like the officials got here before Rocky and I managed to enter the Void. When I looked around, I found a guy named Min Yoongi who seemed to have helped Taehyung when he stayed there. According to this Min Yoongi there was a girl who appeared a few days before, asking him to help her. They became close but Yoongi suspected that the girl was the one who revealed his location.”

“Where are you now?”

“I’m heading back to our restaurant, we need to have a new plan! Bring Choi Haeun with you,” he instructed before hanging up.

“Was that Moon Bin?” Haeun asked, as she opened her bedroom door.

He nodded. “It seemed like Taehyung was caught, but I don’t think he’s going to the police station directly. Yoo Youngjae might’ve wanted to deal with him a bit more personally.”

Both of them got ready as fast as they could; Haeun didn’t even think twice about what she’s going to wear that day as she grabbed the first thing that her eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter