Rival?

Going Into the Unknown
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Rachel, do you want some coffee?” Hyojin asked as she got up from her desk from where she was organising patients’ files.

“Yeah sure!” I spoke as I continued to type on her computer. I often hang out in her office just because of the simple reason that being on my own is boring. So when and if I’m able to, I would finish up all my own work here so that we are able to leave together for lunch or at the end of our shifts. Well, unless I have an extra-long surgery or something like that.

“Here you go!” Hyojin exclaimed with a smile on her face as she handed me a cup. “Chocolate? I won these from a bet we made within our department…” she laughed.

“Thanks Hyojin! But what sort of bet was this?” I was full of curiosity.

“Well, there is this couple in my department who have been going out with each other for some time and we made a bet about how long we thought it would be until they got engaged because they were getting pretty serious… and long story short, I had the closest answer! So chocolates for me!” she began to laugh and ate a chocolate.

“Awe that’s cute though! I’m really happy for them, if I see them I must congratulate them.”

“So what do you want to eat for lunch today? It’s already 1pm and I’m starving!” Hyojin replied.

“Hmm… well I have a surgery scheduled for 2:30pm so I can’t really go too far from the hospital in case it needs to be done earlier. What about the food court just beside the hospital?” I suggested.

“Anything sounds great to me Rachel if I’m being honest!”

After a few minutes, we gathered up our belongings and made our way out of the office and towards the main entrance of the hospital. It was usually really busy no matter what time of the day it was but today it seemed to be a bit more crowded than usual.

“Hey Hyojin, is there something going on today?”

“Not that I know of, it’s probably just one of those really busy days out of the blue. Oh? But is that Dr Kim from my department?” she replied as she tried to focus her eyes in on the said individual.

“It looks like him to me, he looks like he’s waiting on someone. Maybe you shouldn’t disturb him…”

But before I knew it, I had been dragged by Hyojin over towards Dr Kim.

“Hello Dr Kim! Have you had lunch yet?” Hyojin exclaimed with a smile as she came up beside him. He smiled back.

“Ah hello Dr Choi, but no I haven’t. I was waiting on a friend of mine.”

“How about you eat lunch with us? We can wait on him here together. Rachel was thinking of going over to the food court for a while since she has a surgery scheduled quite soon.”

“Rachel?” Wonshik asked a little confused.

“Oh how silly of me! I never introduced you to each other! Dr Kim this is Dr Lee, full name is Rachel Lee. We are very good friends. She is a doctor in the General Surgery Department and she is sometimes in the ER Department, depending on how busy it is…”

“Hello Dr Kim.” I spoke.

“Please, call me Wonshik. I keep telling Hyojin to call me Wonshik but she never does which annoys me. But it’s nice to meet you!” he replied as he shook my hand. “I have friends in both of those departments.”

“Ah yes, Dr Lee Jaehwan and Dr Lee Hongbin are in my main department of general surgery and I performed a surgery with Dr Han Sanghyuk a few days ago. I’ve heard all about you from Hyojin to be honest. She knows literally everyone inside and out its unbelievable!” I started to laugh and I don’t know why but I got a mysterious vibe from him as if he wasn’t normal. There’s just something about him. I had received the same sort of feeling from Sanghyuk too when we were in the locker rooms.

At that moment, Wonshik’s phone beeped. “Oh? He’ll soon be here. Not long to wait now.”

“Which of your friends is coming?” I asked.

“I don’t think either of you have ever met Dr Jung before. His full name is Jung Taekwoon and he’s one of the doctors in the Intensive Care Unit so he’s usually really busy most of the time. But speak of the devil, here he comes now…”

“Hello” Dr Jung spoke with a soft voice as he looked from Wonshik to Hyojin to me.

“Taekwoon do you mind if we eat with these ladies today? I work with Dr Choi in my Anesthetics department and then Dr Lee is her friend who works in the general surgery department.”

“Yeah sure, I don’t mind…” he replied before turning to us and giving us his greeting.

There is definitely something about these guys, the whole group of them and god I’m so curious…

“So… shall we eat? I’m starving!” Hyojin exclaimed as she

Please log in to read the full chapter