The First Encounter

Going Into the Unknown
Please log in to read the full chapter

RING RING

“Dr Lee, you need to come in right now for an emergency surgery! No one else is available!” I heard the head doctor on the other end of the phone say.

“Of course! I’ll be right there! What’s the situation right now?” I spoke as I got up from my bed and quickly got dressed and lifted my car keys and ran out the door.

“The patient has been stabbed in the abdomen due to a fight after running into a street gang down in the Gangnam District! The patient himself was drunk but thankfully he was found by a member of the public before it was too late. He was losing blood quickly but right now we’ve got the situation under control but he’s in need of urgent assistance!” the head doctor replied.

“Okay, I’m on my way! Be there in 15 minutes!” I spoke and hung up.

 

[ER DEPARTMENT]

“Dr Han! Get over here now, this patient needs urgent help! Get some fluids into him and get the oxygen ready for use!” the head doctor of the ER Department yelled over to Sanghyuk who was filling in details on the computer.

“I’ll be there now!” Dr Han replied as he got up and fixed his white coat and made his way over to where a nurse was now standing.

“Hello doctor, I’ve got the oxygen here ready!” the nurse spoke as she gave the equipment to Sanghyuk.

“Okay thanks, can you get the fluids ready? I’ll fit the oxygen…”

“Be right back doctor!”

As the nurse left, Sanghyuk was left with the patient and began to quickly fix the oxygen source onto the machines beside the bed. The patient had bandages already wrapped around his abdomen but this didn’t stop the blood from seeping through. The metallic iron scent was strong and filled the nose of Sanghyuk who instantly felt the urge inside of him rising. But with years (and a lot more years) of experience he has learned how to suppress the urge. He briefly lifted his head and his eyes met with Dr Cha. Dr Cha Hakyeon, who was also the same as him. He gave Sanghyuk a small nod of encouragement. We are both members of the group called VIXX, a secret group of supernatural beings which consists of 6 members, all of which work in this very hospital, Seoul National University Hospital. We have been considered outcasts in the past but in the present day our kind has been kept a secret and because of this we have been able to live and work alongside humans.

I put my attention back to the patient and at the same moment, the nurse had come back with the necessary fluids.

“Here you go doctor…” She spoke as she handed the packets to me while giving a small smile.

Did I also mention how incredibly good looking we are too? It’s one of the good traits I suppose…

“Thanks… Hyerin…” I replied as I took a brief look at her name tag on her shirt and smiled back.

I began to fit in the tube which connected the fluid bags to the patients arm and then placed it up on the hook on the stand. I adjusted the controls on the machine to control the flow level.

“Doctor the patient is now in a stable condition.” I spoke as the head doctor came back over towards me.

“Great work! He will be going in for surgery very soon. I’ve already called Dr Lee and she is on her way now...” he replied. “Just keep an eye on him until she comes. She should be here any minute now!”

“Yes doctor!” Sanghyuk replied as he saw Hakyeon coming over his way.

As the head doctor walked away Hakyeon pulled Sanghyuk over to a secluded area where no one went was at.

“Hey are you okay? I saw that you almost lost it earlier…” Hakyeon asked looking worried.

“Yeah I’m fine…”

“I’ll tell the others to meet up at mine later… Taekwoon will be able to help.”

“Yeah okay! But I’ve got to go now, I could be helping with surgery!” I asked confused.

“I overheard your conversation with the head doctor earlier. Dr Lee is performing the surgery right? Woah… she is really skilled you know. Don’t let the side down okay?” Hakyeon spoke as he laughed a little.

“I know…”

“Okay now go back to your patient… we’ll talk later…”

As I made my way back to the patient I heard a female’s voice becoming clearer and clearer.

Did I also mention that we have really REALLY good hearing?

“I’m here doctor! Where is the patient?” the female voice spoke slightly out of breath.

“Ah, he is with Dr Han in ward 2. I would advise you to hurry up too…” the head doctor replied.

With that, I heard her footsteps getting closer and closer, until she came in through the doors of ward 2. She looked around for a brief moment.

“Dr Lee! Over here!” I waved at her and she came running over towards me.

“Okay let’s ge

Please log in to read the full chapter