The Big Bang

Day by Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daylight waned over a neighbourhood in Seoul blanketed by a full day of seemingly interminable snow.  From inside one of the houses, the gentle strumming of a guitar accompanied by a girl’s singing voice wafted into the street and warmed the frigid January air. 

Sitting with her back against her bed, Kim Haru strummed the last chord and allowed the note to ring as her voice trailed off with it. Immediately, the room was overcome by the sound of fervent clapping and squealing.

“Ya Kim Haru! That was SO beautiful!” Another girl sitting opposite Haru in an office chair wheeled herself closer, her hands clutching the sides of her face in awe.

“You really think? I thought the lyrics were a bit cheesy, I’m still not great at romantic songs.” Haru said and set her guitar on her bed.

“Okay but seriously, have you considered my idea any more?” Hyemi picked up the tray of deokbokki resting in her lap and lifted one with a toothpick to . “I mean, you and your voice should be famous. I can't believe you've never sung in front of anyone but me.”

“Hyemi, like I’ve said before, I still don’t think I’d make a very good idol,” Haru replied as she reached for her ramen and slurped on them loudly.

“Point taken,” Hyemi eyed her best friend’s sloppy eating mannerisms in amusement. “But agencies don’t care if you eat like Cookie Monster– ”, this earned her a death glare from Haru, “ –they’re looking for talent. And talent you’ve got. Your voice is better than so many idols famous right now and you’re just as pretty as them.”

Haru continued to slurp at her ramen.

“Please? Just apply and do an audition!” Hyemi implored, and blinked at Haru with her long eyelashes.

Haru chewed her ramen and asked with full, “You really think this is a good idea?”

Hyemi nodded vigorously, “I can already imagine it! Kim Haru: the next biggest idol sensation, sweeping the nation with her beauty, her lyrics and her angelic voice.”

“Please stop. I’ll choke on my food and die before I can even pick up the broom to ‘sweep the nation’ if you keep saying stuff like that.”

Ignoring Haru’s comment, Hyemi continued ardently, “I think you should apply for YG especially! Plus I think there’s an audition next month. Imagine being under the same company as Big Bang oppa’s!”

“Now I’m starting to think you just want me to get in with the YG artists so you can get free concert tickets.”

“You’re not wrong. But that’s not the only reason okay? I know you’re a massive YG fan too; you practically like all of their artists. And I clearly remember you telling me if you had to sign yourself to one agency it would be YG!” Hyemi continued.

Haru set down her ramen cup. She really didn’t want to grant her annoying best friend her wish, but deep down she knew it was her own too. Haru knew she was good at singing, she just didn't think she was THAT good, or good enough to be famous for it. For the longest time, Haru had put it off. She would sit in front of her TV and watch idol group upon idol group performing and try to picture herself up there. These were never very productive in helping her find motivation as thoughts like, I would look like an ahjumma at best in that costume or I don’t think I could act that cute if my life depended on it, plagued her. Haru never considered herself in any way beautiful either. She had a small face framed by bangs that swept her eyelids; an appealing eye smile, a button nose and her hair fell to her waist. Sure, in the mortal world, for a 17 year old, she may be pretty, but up there with those godly beings where Haru was convinced male idols were capable of looking prettier in drag than her, it was a whole different story. Also, was she ready to throw herself headfirst into the trainee lifestyle she had heard so many nightmare tales about? And what’s worse was the uncertainty of her future even if she was a trainee. She may never debut, or she might debut and be a flop, Haru couldn’t decide what would be more heart wrenching. But maybe it was Hyemi’s insistent nagging, or maybe she finally pushed past her concerns and had a change of heart (actually, it was probably both) but Haru found herself thinking, you’ll never know if you never try.

In the background Hyemi was still listing reasons relentlessly, “…it’s like you were meant to go to YG! Big Bang even wrote a song about you!” And with that she leapt from her seat, one hand clutching her chest dramatically and the other fist held to like a microphone, and began howling, “HARU HARU IT FADES AWAY EH EH EH EH!”

Hyemi paused and stared at Haru in anticipation. Haru let out a sigh of defeat, unable to deny the smile tugging at the sides of her lips, and jumped up, continuing in a similar dramatized fashion, “Oh girl… I cry I cry… You’re my all… Say goodbye…”

Hyemi smirked knowingly, “You answered the call. This means you’ve agreed.”

“I’ll fill in an audition form tomorrow and send it in… if, you stop gloating,” Haru shot back with annoyance upon the sight of Hyemi’s triumphant face.

“Well I suppose the only thing second to gloating at you is this…” Hyemi pulled out her phone, plugging it into Haru’s speakers. The piano introduction of Big Bang’s 'Haru Haru' filled the room.

Outside the snow had finally stopped. The muffled sound of music and the two overlapping voices singing in unison carried once more into the streets causing a neighbourhood dog to begin barking as if attempting to join in.

 

✼ ✼ ✼

 

They’re not wrong when they say life is fleeting. Hell, Haru decided she would never underestimate the speed at which one month can slip through her fingers ever again. One minute she was sending in a copy of her application form to YG Entertainment, and the next she was staring with dread at the circled date in her diary, marking tomorrow as the day of her audition.

Haru shut her locker, her head hitting it with a dull thud. Her thoughts were racing and she wondered how she had managed to feel close to no nervousness until this exact moment.

“Would you and your locker like to be alone?”

Haru snapped her head around quickly. A boy with ruffled hair and circular glasses stood beside her, a crooked grin playing at his mouth.

“We were alone, until you showed up.” Haru responded with a snort and spun around, heading for the school exit.

Donghoon walked beside her and asked, “You’re leaving school early today. Aren’t you staying for the study session tonight?”

“I can’t today… I have to go do something important.”

“Hmm, and what would that be?”

“Wrong question. That’s none of your business, goodbye Donghoon.” Haru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter