Chapter 4 - Who is Hoshi?

Timetraveler! HoshixOC Short Story

Mom led us into a decent sized waiting room a little ways down the foyer. Finding a chair in the far right corner, she sat carefully as we followed and crowded around her small form. I was standing on her left, while S. Coups stood on her right. From this vantage point I got a good view of everyone for really the first time today. For the most part tears were streaming down faces. Some hiccuping came from Seungkwan and The8, WonWoo and Mingyu held each other as they couldn’t help but let the loud sobs violently release from them. Joshua’s deep frown was still there, his eyes hard and almost soulless. Jeonghan was still trying to hold it together, but failing. He looked like his threads were snapping, one by one. Mom grabbed my hand and held it weakly, rubbing her thumb across the flat of my palm.

        “I want to start by saying...this is something I wish we hadn’t hidden...from any of you.” she said, sighing softly.

   I looked to her with confusion written on my face. Any of us? Even me? What was she going to say that she and dad hadn’t told me already?

        “This is something that has been happening time and time again, for several years, ever since that day," She paused briefly, looking like she was trying to search for the right words to say.

        "Your father and I, a long time ago, went on a trip to Grandpa Wilson’s place. Your dad...somebody is killing your dad.”

   A wave of shock was sent through all 13 of us, I’m sure.

   ...killing...him?

        “H-how? Who would do that to him?” Dino asked, beginning to choke back on the tears that made his face redden and swell slightly.

   Mom looked up at him, and the tears she had dried up earlier came rushing back in amounts equivalent to that of floods.

        “Grandpa Wilson said to look back to the past enemies we had fought in the old days. Way before any of you guys had been born. Due to your father’s weakening state, your Grandfather had to travel with us...that’s when...things got really bad.”

   She squeezed S.coups hand tightly, letting her gaze fall to the floor.

        “The one time your father and I messed up. Out of all our travels...this one changed everything,” She took a minute to catch her breath before continuing,

        “There was a man back then who went by the name of Pierce, no last name. He took a liking to me and...your father...ended up killing him.”

   Pierce sounded awfully familiar…

        “The thing is though, what your father and I didn’t know...Pierce...is a traveler of the highest caliber. His bloodline derives from the first family of time travelers. He’s been around longer than anyone can fathom. The reason for that being...he holds the ability of immortality.” She stopped to look at us,making sure she still had our full attention. Anyone us not listening right now would be insane.

        “Ever since your father had attempted to kill him, Pierce has sought out to sabotage our family. Remember those back pains your father had a few years ago? So excruciating he could barely move? Pierce. The time our little Vernon was so sick he was heaving up blood? Pierce. He has affected each and everyone of you at some point throughout your life except...You.” My mom tugged my hand and looked up at me. I was shocked, dumbfounded. Every word that could fill that blank. My brothers looked at me, equally as shocked as I.

 Why me?

        “Pierce had taken a liking to you Hoshi, ever since you were born. He tried to get close to you, knowing you were special. He wanted to take you for his own, and your father fought for you. This is his price, his punishment for not giving you up…”

   I could feel the hot tears flood my eyes, slightly blurring my vision.

   This is my fault.  

        “Hoshi...you have an ability, unlike any traveler I’ve ever seen. Something so special. Pierce wanted to take you not only to hurt your father and I, but to take your power for his own evil intentions. And now...only you can save him.”

        “M-mom, what?...”

   She looked at me hard, stern.

        “Hoshi...you have the ability to heal the wounded. Feed the hungry. Cure the sick. You have the ability to give life...to the dead.”