Chapter 8

Case Closed

"Alex, what did you find out so far?" Ella asked. She looked at the amputated head of the victim in disgust. Blood stained the rotten leaves. Her eyes were staring lifelessly. Fear left a vivid trail in those gorgeous eyes.

"I assume that the victim was kill last night. Maybe right before the storm came. Anyhow, there's almost no chances of getting much evidence from the body. The heavy rain probably washed everything away," Alex replied with a sigh.

"What? Another clueless death?" Calvin, too, let out a desperate sigh.

"You two can stop sighing. It's getting annoying, you know," said Chun. He was walking down the path toward them. Behind him was Jiro.

"Well, what about the rest of the body?" Aaron asked.

"We're still looking," Alex said.

"Let's take a look around then," Calvin suggested and walked away with his eyes scanning around. The others followed, except for Aaron and Jiro, who remained where they were.

"I will take the head, arms and legs back to the morgue for now. I don't want them to stay out here any longer. Call me if you find the rest of the body," Alex said as he collected the head in a bag.

"OK," Aaron nodded.

"Alright, see you guys later!" Alex said and left. The white bag dangling in his gloved hand.

Aaron and Jiro stood in an awkward silence. Both avoided each other's eyes.

"Aaron Yan Ya Lun, pick up the phone!" Aaron's unique ring tone rang. It caught Jiro's attention.

"Hey Gui Gui!" Aaron smiled broadly when he heard her voice on the other end of the line. "What? Uhm OK, I will try...I will remember it! See you later!" He said and hung up. The foolish smile was still visible on his face.

"Don't you remember the rule? Do not take care of personal matters while at work? That includes phone calls," Jiro reminded Aaron coldly. Yes, there was such a rule, but Aaron never bother to follow it. That was a really stupid rule for someone who was deeply in love like him! No phone calls? How could he survive the day without hearing Gui Gui's high-pitch voice?

"Sorry," Aaron mumbled. But his apology was drown when Jiro's cellphone rang: "Da Dong!" It was his grandmother's voice. How did she....?

Jiro quickly flipped the phone opened, "Grandma? I can't talk right now!" He turned the away from Aaron. "I'm working! Alright! I'll do it! I gonna go now. What else do you want me to buy? OK. Bye!"

Aaron pretended not to heard that and walked over to where Calvin, Chun and Ella gathered. He smiled, not mockingly, but amusingly.

He'd never thought of Jiro as his enemy. Jiro's pain was understandable. If it was him, he would be really mad too. Jade's death did occur because of him. If he'd held her tighter, she wouldn't have to die. Only if he could, he would turn back the time......

"Hey, Aaron! What are you thinking?" Calvin snapped Aaron out of his thoughts.

"Huh? Nothing..."

"Let's go join the search. The rest of the body should be around here," Calvin said. The rest of them agreed. They needed as much evidence as they could get. The body was a crucial clue, of course. So they had to find it by all means.

"Jiro! Get your down here and start searching for clues!" Chun shouted. His voice scared a few little birds away. Jiro turned around and nodded.

Every inch of the forest's floor was scanned....And every minute passed, they were getting closer to find what they were looking for, except it was quite....disturbing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gui Gui was smiling all this morning. She just found out that Jiro's grandma and Angela were here. She loved them like her own family! Jiro had introduced them to her years back, when they were still 'friends'.

Angela called her and set up a dinner plan. She wanted to reunite Aaron and Jiro.

"This time, the two of them can not escape!" Gui Gui giggled to herself.

------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the forest, the press was already surrounded the site, waiting for any news that could make headlines. They would get what they wanted soon.

"Oh my god! Calvin, Aaron, Chun,Jiro, come here! Hurry!" Ella called out. She was standing in front of a wild strawberry bush. Her shaky voice told them there was something wrong.

"What is it, Ella?" Chun asked. He was the first one to response to Ella's call. "What the heck?" He said in disgust when he saw what was next to Ella's feet.

Calvin and Aaron joined in. Followed behind them was Jiro.

"Oh ! This guy is horrible!" Aaron cursed under his breathe.

"That's....That 's...her...."Calvin stuttered.

"Her heart," Jiro finished the sentence for him.

The victim's mutilated heart lied on top of the blood-dyed leaves. Even the white strawberry flowers were tainted red. The heart was stabbed right in the middle with a small knife, which was still attached to it. The rotten smell lured flies in. They were swarming all over the heart.

"What is he trying to tell us with....this?" Chun popped the question out in the air.

"Who knows? May be he hates women and wants to rip their hearts for revenge," Calvin guessed.

"Probably. But why?" Now it was Aaron's turn to sigh. "I wish we have some clues."

"Keep on wishing, buddy. I doubt that we can get anything out of this one," Chun shook his head.

"Don't be so discouraged, guys! The murderer will be caught!" Ella said, overwhelmed with determination. "Let take some pictures and bring it back to the morgue. Alex will surely have something helpful for us."

"You're right!" Chun immediately agreed with her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Late that afternoon, Aaron bid his friends good bye and left the police department with his head filled with the pictures taken at the crime scene. But he really need to go. Gui Gui asked him to stop by a supermarket to get some stuff for her. So here he was, driving to the market by himself.

The supermarket wasn't crowded. Aaron had all the space he needed to navigate around, pushing a shopping cart.

"What kind of tomatoes does she want?" Aaron asked himself while standing in front of the vegetable aisle. There were at least four different kinds of tomatoes. Big and small, round and plum. Why were there so many different kinds of just one thing?

"Let's see....."He scanned the prices and decided to get the most expensive. It must be the best kind.

"OK, what else? Oh, lettuce!" Aaron picked out two lettuces. Just then, his phone rang. "Gui Gui? Yeah? I got them. OK. See you!"

Gui Gui called to tell him to buy fruits and a chocolate cake for dessert. "What fruits should I buy?"

While Aaron was debating with himself over which fruit was better, another man came into view. His shopping cart was half full, and his phone was glued to his right ear. "Carrots? And what else, grandma?....Potatoes? OK." He flipped the phone closed and went on a little treasure hunt for carrots and potatoes.

Aaron finally decided to buy strawberries and a bg watermelon. When he turned around, he bumped into someone....

"Jiro?"

"Aaron?"