Chapter 7

Case Closed

Jiro wondered aimlessly through the empty streets. It was well passed midnight. The dark sky swelled up with moisture and eventually, heavy raindrops covered the ground.

He didn't want to go back to his apartment. Nothing, and no one would wait for him there. Not that he expected....

"Jiro!" A cheerful voice called out his name.

He looked up and found someone was standing at his doorstep. "Angela?"

"Jiro! Finally, you're back!" Angela ran toward and hugged him. Her small figure seemed to dissolved into his well-built frame.

"What are you doing here?" He tried to take her steel-like arms off of his waist.

"I've been waiting for you for hours!" She complained.

"Who told you to wait?" Jiro said plainly. "Wait, if you're here, then is ....." Before he could finish his sentence, he felt something hard hit his head from behind.

"Da Dong, you dare talk to Shao Han like that?" An elderly woman came into view with her umbrella raised above her head. That was what hit Jiro a moment ago.

"Grandma? You're here too?" Jiro groaned. Only Angela was enough. Now came his grandma. How could he ever run away from these two women?

"What?! I can't come visit my own grandson?" Her eyebrows knitted together furiously.

"NO! I don't mean that...!" Jiro defended himself.

"Grandma, let's go inside. The rain is getting heavier," Angela held her arm and led her toward the door. She rescued him from further interrogation from his grandmother.

"Jiro, open the door!"

"Huh? Oh, coming!" He woke up from his thoughts and rushed to open the metal door.

Angela and Jiro's grandma pushed Jiro aside and walked in his two rooms apartment.

"What is this?" His grandma asked when she saw the mess that he called his living room. She kicked a bunch of newspaper that spread on the floor aside. There were a few shirts lying on the couch. "You called this a house?"

"Grandma, I don't have time to clean up. I...." Jiro was desperately looking for an excuse. His grandmother hated a messy house the most.

"Excuses! Excuses!" She bang him with her umbrella after every word she said. "What did I teach you? Didn't I tell you to be neat? And look at you now! Do you even look like my grandson?"

"Granny!" Jiro whined like a little kid while running away from his grandma's reach.

"Grandma, Jiro is really busy. You have read the newspaper. There are a lot going on in the city. He has to do his job, right?" Angela jumped in between the two. "You can't expect him to have time to clean the entire house."

"Angela's right!" Jiro nodded. He ran behind her.

"I'll let you go this time, but you have to clean up the house! If tomorrow morning I wake up and it's still in this state, no one can save you!" She crossed her arms and said. "Gosh, I wasn't this messy when I was his age!" They heard her mumbled.

"I got it, granny!" Jiro replied. He scanned the house. It was...quite messy. But by his standard, it was nothing major!

"Where's my room? And Angela's?" He heard her asked.

"Huh? There are only two rooms!"

"Then you will sleep on the couch," his grandmother's words hit him violently.

"What? I have to sleep on the couch? In my own house?"

"What else? I want to have my own room, and Angela needs a room too. It's your fault to buy such a small house!"

"Grandma, we can share a room," Angela said. She didn't want to let Jiro sleep on the couch. It would very uncomfortable.

"No. Why do you have to treat him good when he's so mean to you? I'm teaching him a lesson for you, so don't ruin it," she whispered. "So it's settled then. Jiro, go and bring our luggage in."

"Luggage? How long do you plan to stay here, grandma?" Jiro asked, hoping it wouldn't be too long.

"As long as I feel like."

"What?"

"You don't want me to stay?"

"NO! It's not like that!" Jiro backed off the moment he saw his grandma's fury glare.

"Good. Then go bring our bags in!" She ordered and pointed her finger toward the door. Then she settled herself in one of the rooms.

"I will help you!" Angela said cheerfully. She ran to Jiro's side.

"No need. I can do it myself," said Jiro coldly.

"But..." He walked out before she could finish.

What he saw shocked him. "How come I didn't notice all these?" In a dark corner beside the doorstep was a pile of bags of all sizes. Luckily, the oversize maple tree shield them from the pouring rain.

"There are quite a lot," Angela saw the surprised look on his face. It made her laugh. "I will help you."

"NO! Angela, come in here!" It was his grandma. "He's a man. Those are nothing to him!"

"But..." She started to protest.

"No buts! Come in here and massage my back for me. I'm aching all over!" Her voice came piercing through their ears.

"Alright. I'm coming grandma!" Angela gave Jiro a quick kiss on his cheek and ran into the house, blushing.

Jiro was speechless. That was the first time Angela did something like that to him. Although he knew she liked him for a while now, he never expected her to do such thing. She was his childhood friend. When his family moved into the city, he was only five, but he still remember her big brown eyes. She stayed in the countryside. Her house was next to his grandma's. She usually went over and play in the garden. His grandma liked her a lot, just like she was her own granddaughter. Jiro knew she wanted him to marry Angela, but his heart was already given to someone else.

He bent down and started picking up bag after bag and dragged them inside. It took him three trips, in and out of the house, to carry everything in. Then he began to clean the mess he created.

"Can my life get any worse?" said Jiro under his breath.

------------------------------------------------------------

The bright sunlight peaked through the half opened window, indicated that the sun was up and ready for a new day.

Gui Gui lazily forced herself to sit up when the glowing light hit her. "Aw...It's morning already?" She asked dreamily. "WHAT?! I'm going to be late!" Gui Gui forced her eyes to adjust with the sudden brightness. She looked around and found herself lying down on her bed. Rested peacefully beside her was Aaron. He looked like an angel. She imagined two big feathery wings behind his back. The thought made her smile.

But wait, why was he on her bed?

"AARON!?!" She screamed.

"Huh?" He jerked up upon hearing her screamed. His hair was a mess and his eyes were still closed. "What's the matter?" He asked sleepily.

"What's the matter? Why are you on my bed?" Gui Gui tried to pushed him off. Although he was her boyfriend, this was way over the line. They weren't marry yet so she tried to keep everything as clear as possible.

"What's wrong with me sleeping here?" Aaron rolled over and asked innocently.

"What's wrong? It's totally wrong! We're not marry yet so therefore we can't share the same bed!" Gui Gui pushed the sleepy Aaron onto the floor.

"Ouch!" Aaron sat up. "I didn't do anything wrong! Last night, you fell as sleep on the couch while I was making us hot chocolate. I just did what every boyfriend would: I carried you up to your bed! What is wrong with that?" He questioned her.

"Then after that you should ... go home," said Gui Gui hesitatingly. She didn't want to sound mean.

"There was a big thunderstorm. I know you're afraid of thunders so I decided to stay for the night. I didn't know you would yell at me like this," said Aaron softly. Gui Gui could feel the disappointment and hurt in his voice.

"Aaron."

"I didn't do anything to you, I swear!" Aaron looked up. "Don't you trust me?" His puppy dog eyes pierced into hers.

"I do trust you. Look, I'm sorry," Gui Gui slid down on the floor to sit with him. "I'm sorry." She repeated.

Then....

He tickled her.

"Ah! Stop, AARON!" Gui Gui was rolling on the floor laughing.

"That's your punishment!"

--------------------------------------------------------

John was jogging on his usual path that cut through a small wood. Beads of sweats kept rolling down his face and chest. It was part of his everyday workout.

He sand along with the song in his ipod. His head shook in rhythm while his strong legs brought him deeper into the woods.

The storm last night left many trees broken and leaves were shaken off of the branches. The devastated scene didn't drag John's spirit down. Nothing could drag it down because he finally got a date with his dream girl!

Well, that was before he saw .....

"Oh my God!" John stumbled backward.

In front of him was an amputated arm lied on a bed of reddened leaves and broken branches.

"Help!" He yelled on top of his lung and rushed back the way he came from.

Zhen saw the panic spread across the man's face when he found Lillian's amputated arm. Satisfied, he walked away. This time, he would make front page again.

He was curious about what the police would do. What that famous Aaron Yan would do.

---------------------------------------------------

Aaron parked his car at a nearby parking lot. He saw Jiro's car pulled in right behind him. The usual icy look from Jiro still sent an electric shook down his spine.

"Hey, Aaron!" Calvin shouted.

"Coming!" Aaron rushed to where Calvin stood and together, they walked to the crime scene.

"There you are. I was wondering if you still remember the way back, Aaron," said Chun.

"What do you mean?" Aaron felt his face began to burn.

"You know what he means!" Calvin said. He was putting on a pair of latex gloves. " We know that you didn't go back home last night because we stopped by your house last night. So, how was your night at Gui Gui's?"

"WHAT?!" Aaron shouted. "You two better watch what you're saying! There's nothing happened between Gui Gui and me!"

"OK, calm down! We're just kidding!" Chun said.

Aaron shot them deadly glances.

"Hey guys!" Ella greeted them. Followed behind her was the solemn Jiro.

"Hi!" Chun said. He seemed a little nervous.

"So, what do we have here?" Calvin asked.

"Another dismembered body," Chun answered. All of them headed closer to where the arm lied.

"Oh god!" Calvin mumbled.

"Is that all we have?" Aaron asked. He bent down to examine it.

"No. We just found the legs and her head," Chun said.

"Do you think this murder is connected with the one from yesterday?" Ella brought the question up.

"May be. May be not," Calvin replied.

"Where's Alex? May be he has something," Aaron suggested.

"He's down there, where the head is. I think he still drooling over it," Chun answered. "Oh, Jiro, you're here too?" He looked up at the silent Jiro.

"I will go talk to Alex," Aaron said and quickly ran down the muddy path.

"Hey, wait up! I will go with you." Calvin ran after Aaron.

That left Chun, Ella and Jiro in an awkward silence.

"Well, I guess I will go down there too. See if there's anything important," Ella said and left.

Chun looked straight into Jiro's frigid eyes.

"Jiro, let's me tell you something... It will be the last time I say this, so listen," Chun started, "We've been friends for long enough for me to see through you. I know why you come back. I don't care what you do and I won't interfere as long as it has nothing to do with Aaron."

Jiro's face hardened the moment Aaron's name came out of Chun's mouth, but he kept his silence while his eyes fixed on some point in the distance.

"You know Aaron and Gui Gui truly love each other. Please don't try and be the third wing. You know a bird only has two wings and that's all it needs to fly. If you want to see Gui Gui happy, then let her be with the one she loves," Chun's voice was almost a whisper, but to Jiro, each words was ringing very clearly in his ears. "The choice is up to you. Just remember, I'm still here. I will not let another tragedy play in front of my eyes. I'm so sick of it."

Chun left Jiro rooted where he was standing to join the others. His words were running back and forth in Jiro's mind.....They started to have some effect.....