Chapter 1

Case Closed

The summer sun shone above the crowded streets. It was rush hour. Every inch of the empty spaces were taken by cars, buses and walkers. No one paid attention to anyone else, or anything - for that matter.

Zhen walked down the busy sidewalk alone. He blended in the river of people easily. No one would suspect a man in an expensive business suit.

He was in no need to hurry, and thus, took a closer look at those around him. Nothing he saw surprise him though. Everything was just a routine.

Morning - the time when everyone rushes to work.

Noon - then they all go out for lunch.

Afternoon -  finally go back home.

Weekend - time to relax,  or maybe not.

So boring.

Along the sidewalk he saw a few stands selling all kind of worthless antiques and souvenirs. A few more steps and he was in front of one. This particular stand was selling amulets, and other useless charms to fool the weak-hearted. Then, something caught his eyes: A collectible box of twelve little statues of the Chinese Zodiac. His eyes flared with fire burned from hatred. Memories from twenty five years ago came back to him.

***FLASHBACK***

"Mommy, can I go out and play with Lin, please?" An eight-year-old Zhen asked his mom. All he got as answer was a frown and...

"NO! You want to go and play with that rat?" His mom yelled at him.

In his little village, isolated by mountains and forests, superstition was the religion. Everyone believed that ever since Lin - the only child born in the year of the Rat, the fields were dominated with her "friends" :rats. Thus, although she was just eight-year-old, everyone loathed and mistreated her, even her parents. Began from there, every child that was born in the year of rat would be consider bad luck, and automatically, isolated from everyone else.

Zhen liked Lin a lot, but because of her Zodiac sign, they were never be able to play with each other freely. What more, his father was the village's chief. His son obviously couldn't play with the "jinx".

Usually sneaked out in the middle of the night, they played all kind of children games. When they grew older, the routine didn't change. Lucky for them, no one knew about their secret meetings. When Zhen turned eighteen, he decided to run away with Lin. They planned the trip for months. Finally, the big day came. They promised to meet each other under the big shadow of the old oak tree: their favorite playground, at midnight.

Zhen arrived an hour early. Lin appeared a little bit over an hour later.

When they were about to start their journey, men from the village ran toward them. Surrounded by so many men, the couple almost suffocated.

"Zhen, what do you think you're doing?" His father entered the circle and asked furiously.

"We will run away and get marry!" He answered in total confidence.

"Listen to mama, she's a witch! Your father and I will find someone better for you," his mother tried to convince him.

"No one is better than Lin. And I'm sick of your stupidity! All the bad lucks and the Zodiac are superstitious. They are not real!" He couldn't hold back what he had tried to bury in his heart.

"Zhen, I give you one last chance, go back with us now or I will disown you!" His father threatened.

"Do whatever you want. Besides, I'm sick of being your puppet, father! I have the right to live the life I want to," Zhen courageously stood up to his strict father. But, what good would it bring?

"You're giving me no choice..." His father paused, then he told the men, "You know the punishment for those who go against the rules."

The men nodded.

His mother sobbed silently.

His father walked away like nothing had happened.

The punishment was.....

......death.

Zhen tried to pull Lin away from their grasp, but it was already late. Before she disappeared, he saw her lips moving and formed the words: "Run! Live your life for me..."

Maybe God was playing trick on him, he was alive. He didn't remember how. All he knew was that the next morning, he found himself lying on an empty field, wrapped up in a warm blanket. He recalled her words, and suddenly, felt her presence. He would live his life for her.

And to revenge....

The Zodiac would be destroyed.

***END OF FLASHBACK***

"Sir, would like to buy this?" The seller asked, offered the box.

Zhen woke up from his memories, "No. I don't want it." His voice was as cold as ice.

Refreshed by his painful memory, Zhen headed straight back home. He had to have a plan. He had waited for long enough.

Now it was time to act.

--------------------------------------------------------

At the other end of the city....

"Aaron Yan Ya Lun!" Her voice bounced back from the big walls and echoed through the hallway. Everyone was looking at her, puzzled. They didn't know what Aaron had done this time that made her so angry.

"Miss Gui Gui, please lower your voice. Detective Yan..." The security guard tried his best to cool the fire. He had witnessed this scene too often that he could guess what was about to happen next.

"Detective what?! He's a liar!" Gui Gui snapped back, but did lower her voice. She crossed her arms and the killer look stayed in her eyes. "Now let me go up there and teach him a lesson!"

"No, wait!" The guard stopped her, "You can't go up there. They're having a meeting!"

"I don't care. Let me go!"

At that moment, Aaron walked out of the elevator with three other men. Gui Gui pushed the guard aside and ran toward him.

"Aaron Yan Ya Lun!" She yelled out his name,

Aaron was stunned. What did he do this time?

"Oh...Someone is in big trouble!" Calvin, one of the guys stood beside Aaron, said in a sing-song voice.

"What did you do this time, bad boy?!" Chun, the second guy, asked with a knowing smile on his lips.

"Shut up!" Aaron grumbled.

"Aaron, where were you last night?!" Gui Gui asked before she even reached half the distance between them. Her question provoked sudden curiosity among the people watching.

"Gui Gui, what are you talking about?" Suddenly, it clicked in his mind. "About that....I'm sorry...I..."

"Apology NOT accepted!" Gui Gui crossed her arms and looked at Aaron like he was a criminal.

"Gui Gui, I know it's my fault. We will talk about it somewhere else, okay?" Aaron said. He looked around nervously.

"NO!"

"People are watching us!"

"Who cares?"

"I..."

"I don't want to hear another word from you!" Gui Gui turned away from him.

"Gui Gui, I..." Aaron did not get to finish his sentence when Gui Gui stormed away.

"Chase after her!" Chun pushed him.

"Wait, Gui Gui!" Aaron ran out. He felt so many pairs of eyes stared at him. Uncomfortable.

Last night, they were supposed to celebrate the 4th anniversary since their first date. It was a big deal to Gui Gui. She had planned the party a month ago with so much effort. And he missed it. There was a case needed immediate action. That was why he couldn't come. This was the second time he missed it. Gui Gui would never ever forgive him.

Aaron ran down the street, head turned in every direction.

Gui Gui was no where to be found.

"Gui Gui, where are you?" Aaron fished out his cellphone and clicked on her name in his speed dial list.

No one pick up the phone call.

"Please don't play trick on me, Gui Gui!" Aaron whispered.