Chapter 2

Case Closed

 

Aaron returned to the police department building. He called Gui Gui ten times, and still, she didn't pick it up. All he heard was "Please leave a message after the beep". Like that would help.

"I'm so sorry, Gui Gui," he whispered. Step by step, he walked through the entrance. His heart was elsewhere. Could it be that Gui Gui took it with her when she left? Probably. He could not focus on anything at the moment. Aaron understood how important that party was to her. He also understood how important that case was. What could he do? He couldn't split himself in halves, could he?

He found his way to the elevator. Pressed the floor number, the elevator slowly moved upward.

"Oh...Look who's back! And he's pissed!" Calvin said and pointed his index finger at Aaron. The others' eyes followed the invisible line led to where Aaron was standing.

"Aaron, what did you do to that poor girl?" Chun asked. His eyes did not leave the files he was reading.

Aaron ignored the two of them. He walked pass a forest of tables and chairs to his office. With a pull, the screen was lowered, covered the window looking into the main room where other agents worked. Aaron had his own office because he was a detective, a very famous one. He had cracked many cases, regardless of whether it was big or small. The only problem that he was unable to solve was Gui Gui.

"How come whenever there is something extremely important to Gui Gui and I, something work-related pops up! What am I? Even superman can't be at two places at the same time!" His fists slammed onto the table. Anger radiated around him.

Outside his office, Calvin, Chun, and the others were discussing the matter. In other words, gossiping.

"Another quarrel. Nothing serious. I bet they will make up by this afternoon," Chun said. His eyes stayed on the files.

"How can you be so sure?" Calvin asked.

"This is not the first time she storms in here and yell at him like that, is it?"

"Oh, you're right!" Calvin nodded. "They are so funny. Arguing in the morning, going out in the afternoon!"

"Are you guys done talking?!" Aaron asked. He was standing at the doorstep. His expression was calm, but everyone sensed a hidden anger.

"Huh? Yes!" Calvin startled.

The others came back to their own desks and started flipping through various documents while trying their best to look natural.

Aaron looked out the window. The streets were filled with people, like usual. His eyes were unconsciously looking for her. May be she would be back to yell at him again. Listen to her high-pitch voice shouting his name was better than this tortured silence. She wasn't this mad last year when he missed the party. At least she let him explain.

**FLASHBACK**

The yellow lights dyed the unevenly paved street. Her footsteps echoed down the alley.

"Gui Gui! Wait!" Aaron ran after her. She didn't stop.

"I'm sorry!" He shouted.

"Aaron, I hate you!" She turned around and spatted out the words. He stopped abruptly. The words were like knives that stabbed his heart.

"I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to miss it. I had to help finding the escaped convict, and he is," Aaron hesitated. Should he tell her that? "...is very dangerous. I can't..."

"Can't what?" Gui Gui challenged. Her stubborn eyes softened by the tears.

"I can't let him out in this world. He swore to hurt you to take revenge on me!"

"What?"

"That's why I couldn't come. I had to bring that bastard back to prison where he belonged. That way, you will be safe," his sentence faded away as Gui Gui ran into his embrace.

**END OF FLASHBACK**

"What do I do now?" Aaron asked himself.

"You should call her friends or family to find out where she is. They might know," Chun answered. He took a few more step to reached where Aaron was standing.

"Chun!?"

"Who else knows what you are thinking except your best buddy?" Chun smiled. The killer smile that had melted the hearts of so many female agents in the police force.

"You guys forgot about me?" Calvin joined in.

"What are you guys....?" Yes, they were his best buddies since kindergarten. As time flew by, they became more like brothers.

"Come on, you have to apologize to her. I can't let you bully our future-sister-in-law!" Calvin rested his arm on Aaron's shoulders.

"Definitely not. She had put so much effort to that party, and you missed it," Chun added, "We can't be on your side this time, bro." He shook his head.

"I know I have to apologize. I can't do it without knowing where she is! This is a real headache!" Aaron bang his head on the window.

"I would say it is more like a heartache," Calvin was always the one that rubbed salt on the open wounds.

"Alright, Aaron, I think you should wait for her to come to you. She needs time to calm down. If you keep calling her that way, you're just wasting your time," Chun advised.

"I will listen to you this time, Chun." Aaron admitted that Chun got a good point.

"See, I'm the smartest one!" Chun complimented himself.

Calvin and Aaron rolled their eyes.

-----------------------------------------------

"The stupid Aaron Yan Ya Lun, you're so going to pay for this!" Gui Gui grabbed the pillow lied peacefully on her bed, imagined it as his face, and started tearing it apart. She was really, really, really mad.

The soft cotton from the poor pillow scattered everywhere.

"How dare you missed our anniversary? What could be more important than that?! Another escaped convict? Or a terrible plan to conquer the world?" Another pillow shared the same fate. "I am his girlfriend for four years! Four long years! And for what?! Work, work ,work! That's all that he can ever give me as excuses! He never even say "I love you'! He just asked me whether I want to be his girlfriend or not. What kind of man is he? Not even a romantic tissue left in that brain! Oh my god!"

She buried her face in the last intact pillow. A muffled scream sneaked out.

Gui Gui lifted her face up, "I can't stay home like this. I have to do something!" She jumped off of her bed and headed for the door.

Suddenly, her cellphone rang. It was not Aaron who called her.

"Hello, Mr. Tang," Gui Gui greeted.

"When are you going to give me the last chapter of your book? It's already passed the due date!" Mr.Tang was her editor for her newest book.

"All right! I will finish it tomorrow. It will be in your hands before Sunday. I gonna go now, Bye!" She snapped the phone closed.

She grabbed her jacket and this time, nothing could hold her back once she reached the door.

-----------------------------------------------

In that small apartment, every window was sealed. The tiny peak of sunlight pierced through the little openings between the frames. Alone in the semi-darkness, Zhen worked on his revenge plan.

"The Zodiac Signs...Who should be the sacrifices? Who will be good enough to be the sacrifices for her?" He thought.

He suddenly thought of a few girls. Zhen worked for a modeling agency as a receptionist. That job suited him well. He only had to put on a smile whenever a client came, and to the models. Those girls were beautiful. Not as beautiful as Lin, but they would do. He scanned through the pictures in his head, and found his first victim.

"Ah, perfect! She's the first in the Zodiac signs: Rat. Just like Lin." He let out a sinister laugh.

----------------------------------------------

Gui Gui clenched onto her jacket. The strong wind kept knocking it away from her. It was around four in the afternoon. People poured onto the streets on their way home. She had a different purpose and destination.

About ten minutes later, she reached the police department building. It was the only building that seemed to be alive day and night, never truly rest. May be it was the same to Aaron.

"He must be really busy. These past few days, criminals just popped out of no where and caused chaos all over the city. He must be exhausted...." The thoughts stopped her footsteps. "Am I overreacted ? Should I ... forgive him?"

She lean against the cold wall right outside the entrance. "May be I should let it go...Just this time!"

"Good afternoon, Mrs.Yan!" Calvin said it loud enough so that Aaron could hear from his office.

"Calvin, don't call me that!"

Aaron ran out. "Gui Gui, where on earth were you?! Did you know how many times I called you?" His voice was well-seasoned with a pinch of anxiety and apology.

"I am the one that should ask you that question!" She stepped forward once. In contrast, Aaron retreated one.

"I know it was my fault that I did not come to the party...I am sorry," he was almost whispered.

"What? I can't hear you. Say it again, and louder!" She shouted.

The people surrounded them laughed. They looked more like children than grown-ups.

"I said I'm sorry!" He shouted back. Usually, he wouldn't apologize to someone like this, but she was an exception. After all, she was his precious girlfriend!

"Now that's better!" Gui Gui smiled. She grabbed his tie and pulled him closer. Her lips landed on his.

"Ohhhhh..." Calvin and the others cheered.

"Gui Gui, what kind of girl will do such thing?!" Aaron said when they finally pulled away from each other.

"What? You don't like it? Do you want me to do it again?"

"No!" Aaron jerked back, grinning.

"Ew! Next time, you two better do that in private. I have goosebumps all over!" Chun complained.

"You're just jealous because you don't have a girlfriend!" Calvin patted on Chun's shoulder, pretended to be sympathized with him.

"Your stinky mouth!" Chun used the folders he was holding in his hands to hit Calvin on the head.

Everyone burst out laughing.

---------------------------------------------------

The room was dark. Darker than the night outside. The only source of light was three white candles on the crooked table. A black figure was tied up and sat, head titled to one side, in the corner of the room.

"Hello, my lady," Zhen pulled the black cloth that covered her head off. She was surprised to see it was him.

"How was your day, Jenny?" he asked like they were close friends.

"Let me go! Please!" She begged him. Tears trickled down her heavily-powdered cheeks and washed some mascara away.

"You will be my first sacrifice."

"No...no..please!" She shook her pretty head.

"Don't worry, it won't hurt that much. Close your eyes and everything will be over before you know it," Zhen wiped her tears from her frightened face.

"No, no...Please! I beg you!" Jenny cried harder and harder. Her eyes widen as she saw him standing over her with a butcher knife in his hand. "NOOO!" She scream.

"Now, now....You will go to heaven soon..." He smiled reassuringly.

But his hand raised high.......

......Along with the butcher knife......

And down it went......

......Deep into her flesh.......

Blood dripped from the blade......

......Drop by drop onto the white floor......

Like red autumn leaves in the fall......