Chapter 3

Case Closed

It was morning three days later.

Everyone did their normal routine.

The whole cycle of work-home-play started all over.

Zhen felt so happy. He had just gave his love - Lin - a sacrifice three days ago. He hoped she like it. He knew she would. Walking down the empty sidewalk along the bridge looking down the flowing water below, toward a dense forest. A sinister smile spread across his dry lips. He would wait until someone find his sacrifice...He wanted to see their reactions....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron stepped out of his car and entered the Daily Life newspaper' headquarters. He came to look for Gui Gui, his troubled girlfriend. She worked there as a journalist.

"Hi Mr.Yan!" The receptionist greeted as he walked towards her. He had been here so many times that almost everyone knew who he was.

"Hello, is Gui Gui here?" He asked.

"Yes. She is upstairs, in her office."

"OK,thanks." He walked into an empty elevator and waited as it climbed up floor by floor. A "ding" sound told him that he had reached his destination. Aaron found Gui Gui's office and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" She said without looking up. She was too engrossed in the paper in front of her.

"Hi Ms.Gui Gui. Would you like to have breakfast with me?" Aaron poked his head in and asked with a smile across his lips.

"Aaron!" She recognized his voice and looked up.

"So, what's your answer?" He asked.

"Of course I would love to!" She stood up and walked toward him.

"Then, let's go!" Hand in hand, they walked out of her office. Unbeknown to the lovebirds, there was a pair of jealous eyes started at them, burning with hatred. It belonged to Rainie...Gui Gui's new assistant.

Aaron opened his car's door for Gui Gui. He got into the driver's seat and the car headed down the sunny road.

"Where are we going to eat breakfast?" Gui Gui asked.

"Somewhere...special." it was the only answer she could get out of him.

About twenty minutes later, they arrived. Guess where they were at?

"The river bank? Why here?" Gui Gui got out of the car and asked.

"You will see soon. Come with me," Aaron grabbed her hand and led her down a pathway that cut through a grass field. She spotted a few wildflowers here and there. They reached the end of the pathway and there, Gui Gui saw a picnic table waiting for them.

"Aaron, did you do...that?" She pointed at the table in bewilderment.

"Who else?" Aaron's smile widened. He let her stood there in daze while he walked toward the table and picked up a bouquet of red roses. "It ..is...for you." He stuttered a little when he said this. Although they had been together for three years, he always felt nervous whenever he tried to be the "good boyfriend".

"Flowers? There are eleven roses?! Since when are you so romantic?" Gui Gui laughed at his crimson red face. Deep inside, her heart was flying with joy!

"I..I just..Just want to say...I'm sorry. I will never...never forget my promises..not anymore," he stuttered even more, and he felt like his face was burning. Somehow, the words just stuck in his throat and refused to come out.

"Thank you," Gui Gui said softly. She was deeply touched by his actions. This was the first time he ever gave her a proper bouquet. For the past three years, all he ever gave her were cards and cakes for her birthday. He ignored other holidays like Valentine's day. He even forgot Christmas!

She kissed him swiftly on his reddened cheek. Their eyes met for an instant. But it was enough to made Aaron pulled her closer and kiss her sweet lips. She dropped the roses on the ground, and wrapped her arms around him. Their kiss deepened. The world seemed to dissolved around that passionate kiss....

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Chun, Calvin, where is Aaron?" The police chef, Mr. Qian, asked.

"He's in heaven!" Calvin answered jokingly.

"Yeah, he's in his La La Land with his little ghost," Chun added.

The chef broke out smile. "Alright, let him be. You two tell everyone to gather in the conference room. I have something to announce."

"OK, chef," Calvin nodded.

After Mr.Qian left, they yelled out his order, "Everyone to the conference room! Hurry up!"

When not even an ant was left out, Chun and Calvin entered the room.

"Good morning, everyone!" Mr.Qian stood in front of the big screen and said, "I have an announcement to make."

The room feel into silence.

"I'm honor to announce to you that Mr.Wang and Ms. Chen will work along side with us from now on," Mr.Qian pointed at the couple stood solemnly in a corner. When their names were mention, they stepped forward and stiffly bowed.

"What? Jiro? Oh no, this can't be good!" Calvin murmured into Chun's ear.

"World War III is coming!" Chun said in an eerie voice.

"I hope all of you will cooperate well since we're all teammates here. And I really mean it!" The chef obviously noticed Chun and Calvin's secret conversation. But what he didn't know was that there was a deep hatred in Jiro's heart toward Aaron. They were once best friends, along with Calvin and Chun. But after that fateful incident, their friendship shattered. Then, both of Aaron and Jiro met and fell head over heels for Gui Gui. She could only choose one, and that "only one" was Aaron. It was just another reason for Jiro to hate Aaron more. In addition, they were all detectives. Competitions sparked. Aaron could care less. He didn't like competitions so he just let things flow their normal course. It was like Fate's work, every time they compete against each other in solving a case, Aaron always won. Jiro was even more jealous. No one else, other than Chun and Calvin, knew about it.

"Yes, sir!" Calvin yelled out. Jiro looked at him coldly. Calvin returned the look with a big grin.

"Then let's get back to work!" The chef dismissed everyone.

Calvin and Chun purposefully be the last ones in the room to have a small talk with their new teammates.

"Hello Ms.Chen. I'm Chun, and this is Calvin," Chun introduced them.

"Call me Ella. Nice to meet you," her face lit up with a smile.

"Hi Jiro. How have you been?" Calvin asked with pure curiosity in his voice.

"Good," an one-word answer slipped from Jiro's throat.

"You know each other?" Ella asked surprisingly.

"Yes. I know him too well that I get bored whenever I see him. Like now," Chun let out a fake yawn. "And don't start another war with Aaron. You know I don't like to clean up after you guys."

Upon hearing Aaron's name, Jiro's face hardened. "It's not your business."

"It was out business, but not anymore. Chun, let's go. I'm tired of talking with an airhead!" Calvin patted Chun's shoulders, smiled at the puzzled Ella and left the room.

"Calvin, that was the first thing you ever said that was right!" Chun said, "Well, I will see you later, Ella." Then, he followed Calvin's footsteps.

Ella didn't understand a words they exchanged, but she surely smell something fishy. She would try to squeeze it out from either Chun or Calvin later.

And Jiro just stood in silence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Aaron, don't tell me that you cooked all this food!" Gui Gui said with a mouthful of pancakes.

"Well, I can't say that I didn't cook it either. It would be a lie!" Aaron replied. He smiled at his adorable girlfriend.

"What are you smiling at?" Gui Gui took a sip of orange juice and asked suspiciously. "Is there anything on my face?" She ran her hand over her face to check.

"No. You look beautiful," Aaron smiled again.

"And I thought that you don't have any romantic tissues in your smarty brain!" Gui Gui let out a heartily laugh. She had never felt happier than this in her life.

"Hey! I sure have some!" Aaron defended himself.

"I kinda figured it out now!" Gui Gui said.

Few minutes later....

"I'm done!" Gui Gui dropped her fork on the table and stood up, "Let's take a walk!"

Before Aaron could response, she dragged him out of his seat.

They down the river bank, hand in hand, and breathe in the fresh air. Gui Gui suddenly bent down and splashed water onto Aaron.

"You little ghost!" Aaron took his jacket off and jumped into the water to splash back. Then he pulled Gui Gui into the water with him. It was only up to their knees.

"I'm all wet!" Gui Gui complained.

"So am I!" Aaron said. "I wonder who was the one that started this water fight?"

"You dare to blame your girlfriend?!" Gui Gui splashed more water on Aaron. He could only shield himself with his arms. It didn't help much though.

Their laughter echoed through the river bank.

Aaron stopped when he heard Gui Gui sneezed.

"Let's get out of the water now." He pulled her out. Water dripped down from their clothes.

She sneezed again.

Aaron wrapped his dry jacket around Gui Gui's shoulders.

"No, don't..."Gui Gui refused. She thought he might need it.

"Don't you dare taking it off!" Aaron turned his bossy voice on.

"OK, boss!" Gui Gui .

Then, something caught her eyes.

"What are those?" Gui Gui pointed at the three black bags floating on the water. "Trash bags? Who would throw their trash into the river? What are the disposal trucks for?"

Aaron had a different idea...

"Gui Gui, go back to the picnic table and stay there. Don't go anywhere, OK?" He said urgently.

"Why?" Gui Gui asked.

"Just go back there, OK?" Aaron pushed her toward the direction in which they came from.

"No, I want to stay. Why can't I stay?" Gui Gui protested.

"Alright alright!" He agreed hastily as he saw the bags slowly swam away from them. He had to get them quick.

"Gui Gui, stay here," Aaron told her before he ran toward a low bridge right where the bags were headed.

He found a stick on the ground and used it to pulled the bags to him. The bridge was only a few feet above the water so it wasn't difficult.

With all three bags on the bridge, the smell became unbearable. He took the ropes that tied the bags off....What he saw gave him a chill along his spine.

"Aaron, what are they?" Gui Gui ran to the bridge before he could stop her.

She stumbled backward. Her eyes were fill with terror. She wanted to scream but couldn't...

"Gui Gui, are you alright?" Aaron asked worriedly.

"Is..is that...a..." Gui Gui stuttered. She lifted her eyes from the bags' content, but the shock and fear were still there.

"Go back there and call Chun and the others for me, OK?" Aaron said softly. He didn't want her to come because he was afraid that she couldn't handle it. The scene wasn't pretty....

"I will..go now," Gui Gui turned and ran off. She fished out her cell phone and immediately dialed Chun's numbers.

Aaron looked around the river bank....

All he saw were trees and birds and the flowing water...

Little did he know someone was watching him from behind the interlocked branches.

It was Zhen. He was satisfied with the girl's reaction. But this guy didn't even flinch. He must be a cop or something...The girl called him Aaron. Zhen thought he might hear that name somewhere before. And his face looked utterly familiar.

"Aaron, I just called Chun...and he said he will be here right away," Gui Gui yelled. She saw him nodded.

"My romantic breakfast is ruined because of ..... that..." She mumbled.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the bag was a.....

.....dismembered body of a young lady.....

.....

......Her once fair skin now turned a ghostly pale and purple.....

Fear were still visible on her pretty face....