Nightmares

Bring Us Home

The bed was lifted so Jinki could sit up. His pillow behind his head was recently fluffed up and the fabric was soft against his cheek as he turned to look at who he heard coming into the room. A big smile spread across his face when Gwiboon came into his vision. She was safe and warm in her blanket carried in by Jonghyun. He couldn’t hear what his husband was whispering into her ear, but her little eyes found her daddy across the room and a small noise left her lips as her chubby limbs started to wiggle. Once Jonghyun was sitting in his chair next to the bed Jinki gazed at them after moving to lay his left cheek against his pillow. He was still weak, but he was slowly getting his strength back.

 

Gwiboon was sat on the bit of bed next to him and Jinki moved his hand to gently poke her in the tummy. “Hey Pumpkin.” His voice was soft and deep, and her eyes widened as her fingers curled around his hand. She was fascinated with his wedding ring once again and Jinki had to swallow down his emotions at the thought she wouldn’t have to live with it being the memory of her daddy.  She pushed off and attempted to get up onto his chest and stomach, and Jonghyun was quick to scoop her up.

 

With a soft laugh, Jonghyun sat her back down, a hand around her middle and the other giving her a little support on her back. “She kept trying to do that while we were waiting for you to wake up.”

 

Jinki looked so guilty as he gazed at his baby girl. His hand came up to move his thumb over her cheek. “I’m sorry, sweetie. Not yet.”

 

She didn’t understand, but they didn’t expect her to. At least this time Jinki was there to play with her. She gnawed on his fingers as he softly smiled at her. When it was snack time Jinki was very adamant about feeding her. He was carefully to his side slowly, and she was laid in the crook of his arm. The bed took most of her weight and there was a pillow put between Jinki and her wiggly little legs. The nurse was very helpful and understanding in their request.  The bottle was just about finished as her eyes began to flutter closed and it was when Jinki pushed the bottle onto the table that Jonghyun saw the tears in his eyes. Gwiboon’s cheek was softly grazed with Jinki’s fingers as she gently slept against him.

 

“Baby, hey. What’s wrong?” Jinki didn’t look up from his daughter’s face when he replied.

 

“I never thought I’d get to hold her again. Never thought I’d get to see her fall asleep because she’s full and never thought I’d be able to see her again.” It was then his head lifted and he locked eyes with his husband. “Either of you.”

 

Jonghyun reached over to squeeze the man’s fingers that were on the girl’s tummy. “But you did. We didn’t lose you.”

 

He let Jinki hold Gwiboon until visiting hours ended and he could tell the pain was getting a little too much for him. He pressed a kiss to his lips and ran a hand over Jinki’s hair with a smile. “I love you Jonghyun.”

 

“I love you Jinki. I’ll send the nurse in. Call me if you’re feeling up to it.”

 

“I will.” Jinki laughed when Gwiboon wouldn’t let go of his finger. “Goodnight to you Pumpkin.”

 

------

 

“Did you find the extra car key?” Jinki softly said through the phone.

 

After checking on Gwiboon one last time Jonghyun climbed into bed and hugged Jinki’s pillow close to his chest. “Yeah. Taemin drove it home. We had to keep the doors open for like most of the night though because there was so much spoiling stench.”

 

“I’m just glad it’s all in one piece. It’s almost paid off.”  

 

“I miss you being home Baby.”

 

“I miss being home" A soft chuckle traveled through the speaker. "Jonghyunie.”

 

“You’ll be home soon. I’m sure of it.”

 

“I can’t keep down much food Baby. They need to keep an eye on me in case of serious complications. I won’t be home for some time.” The man sighed, “I just want to forget it. It’s so hard to.”

 

“Jinki..”

 

I keep waking up from nightmares, looking for Gwi in my arms, panicking because she’s not and thinking they took her away from me while I slept, but then I’m not there anymore. I’m here in the hospital and the pain is just too much sometimes and I want to forget.” Sadness was dripping from his voice. Jonghyun could tell he was crying and his heart clenched wanting to be there with him. “I keep thinking they’ll come back. That they’ll come back and finish me off when they realize they failed in shutting me up and I don’t want to die. I’m fighting so hard to be with you and Gwiboon and Taemin and I don’t want to lose that. I don’t want them coming back.”

 

Oh, no Baby they aren’t coming back. The police will get them I know they will.”

 

I know you’re probably right Love, but that doesn’t stop my hands from shaking and my heart stopping every time my door moves.”

 

“Maybe.. Maybe you should talk to someone Jinki.” Jonghyun curled his fingers around the covers over him. “You went through a traumatic experience. It’s understandable it changed you mentally.”

 

“I can barely tell you all this and I can tell you everything Jonghyun.” Jinki in a huge breath, “How could I possibly tell a stranger?”

 

“It’s often a little easier to tell someone who doesn’t know anything about you other than what you tell them.” He mentions softly. “The doctor in you knows that.”

 

Mmm a little. I’m a little frazzled right now though.”  

 

“Try and get some sleep. I’ll be on the phone all night Baby.”

 

A sigh of relief left the man on the other line. “Thank you. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

“Sing for me?”

 

“Any song request?”

 

“You sing a mean twinkle twinkle little star Baby.”

 

“Okay,” Jonghyun softly smiled, wiggling a little to get comfier after pulling the switch on the bedside light. “Twinkle Twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle Twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are! When the blazing sun is gone, When there's nothing he shines upon, Then you show your little light, Twinkle, twinkle, through the night. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are! In the dark blue sky so deep. Through my curtains often peep. For you never close your eyes Til the morning sun does rise. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are. Twinkle, twinkle, little star. How I wonder what you are.” Jinki’s breathing even out and soft snores filled the speaker. With a soft chuckle Jonghyun closed his eyes and listened to his entire world snore into his ear.

 

-------



 

The next morning Taemin came to visit him. He had seen him in passing, but the boy never stayed very long. Jinki figured it was hard for him. He was never good with words or his emotions, and he understood that, but he wished to see his baby brother. He was just finishing the puddling the hospital allowed him to eat when the man hesitantly knocked on the half-ajar door. “Jinki? You up?”

 

“Mmm come on in.” He placed the empty cup and spoon on the table in front of him and smiled when he saw his brother. “Taeminnie!”

 

“You’re looking better.” Taemin mentioned as he pulled up a seat.

 

“They’re letting me try solid foods.” He stared at the pudding cup for a moment, “Well kind of solid foods. They aren’t quite sure what my stomach can handle.”

 

“At least it’s chocolate.”

 

Jinki hummed. “True.”

 

Silence fell between them for a moment or two before Taemin spoke, “How are you feeling?”

 

“Better. The doctor stopped by and talked to me when I was more coherent. He was kind of relieved I knew the technical terms as he explained where the bullets hit me and what I have to look forward to in recovering completely.” He flashed a tiny smile. “Jonghyun got me here just in time before my stomach acids got into my bloodstream.”

 

“I’m glad he did.” Taemin’s voice was very soft, and Jinki knew him too well to not notice the difference in it.

 

“Hey, Taemin. Look at me.” When the man did his eyes were big and bright, but tears were forming on his lashes. “I’m here. I’m okay.”

 

Taemin swallowed thickly. “I know that. I know. I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come see you I just.” After a deep breath, he continued. “I couldn’t face you knowing you almost died. I would have been a blubbering mess.

 

“You’re never a blubbering mess Taemin.”

 

“I was the night I got Jonghyun’s call,” Taemin confessed, emotions tugging him deeper. He let out a little mocking laugh before wiping his eyes. “It’s not every night you’re woken up and told your big brother’s been shot and wasn’t breathing when he got to the hospital.”

 

“C’mere.” There wasn’t much space on the side of him, but it was enough for Taemin to gently curl along his body and nuzzle his cheek into his brother’s shoulder. “I love you Baby Brother.”

 

Taemin didn’t say anything as his emotions overtook him for a moment, fingers curling into the hospital gown, and Jinki’s hand sure on his hip. It was then he gasped out, “And I love you Big brother.”

 

A kiss was pressed to his hair and Jinki ignored the aching pain for a moment.

 

-----


 

Taemin only slipped from the bed when Jonghyun arrived with Gwiboon sometime later. Jinki kissed her little cheek and fixed the socks on her feet when she was sat by his side.  Jonghyun pressed a kiss to his husband’s temple before sitting on the little edge of bed next to him with his arm around his head. Gwiboon tossed her stuffed duck off the edge of the bed with a happy little yell and Taemin bent to pick it up as her dads laughed at her.  It was when he straightened and handed the animal to her that the two men walked through the door with a soft knock against the doorframe. Only Jonghyun recognized them. He picked Gwiboon up and turned to Taemin, “Mind taking her to see the garden in the middle of the floor?”

 

The young man glanced between his brother, the two men and his niece being held out to him. He gently took her into his arms with the duck pressed between her and his chest. “I’m only a call away.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Once he slipped between the two men Jinki turned his head to Jonghyun. “Mind telling me what’s going on?”

 

“Ah, yes we haven’t met before.” The man on the right spoke first. “I’m Detective Choi Minho and this is my partner Choi Siwon. We came and asked your husband a couple questions about the night you were shot a few days ago. We were wondering if you were feeling up to answering a couple yourself.”

 

Jinki’s fingers twitched a little against the white of the sheets and the blue of his blanket. “I’ll try my best to answer with what I remember.”

 

Siwon smiled, “Thank you.”

 

They stepped closer into the room after Minho closed the door softly. He was the one that asked the first question, “Can you tell me as much as you can remember from that day? Starting with how you were abducted.”

 

“I went to the grocery store I always go to. We need a lot of things for the house and I was putting our daughter in her car seat and the gun was pressed into my back.” He casted a little look over to Jonghyun. It was the first time he heard any of this. “They threatened to hurt my daughter if I made a scene or tried to get away. They threatened to take Gwiboon away from me and when I wouldn’t give her up they knocked me out. When I woke up she was screaming for me as they beat me. As they asked me questions about a project I knew nothing about. They were going to hurt her to make me talk, thinking I wasn’t being honest with them. I gave them my cell phone to save her.” He reached for his cup of water on the table and gently sipped it before beginning again. “I spent 36 hours accepting I was going to die when it was all over. I had an afternoon’s worth of water and formula in the diaper bag, not enough diapers, but I knew too much and when I traded the laptop for Gwiboon they shot me as soon as the laptop was out of my hands. I don’t remember much else.”

 

“Did you hear any names?” Siwon asked softly.

 

“Kyuchul was the muscle of the group and the leader,” His voice trailed off as he looked up at Jonghyun hesitantly. “I didn’t hear his name, but you might know him Jonghyun.”

 

“Why would I know him?”

 

“He said he was your old boss.” Jinki confessed.

 

A soft gasp left Jonghyun’s lips. “No no it couldn’t be.”

 

“I’m sorry Love.” He found Jonghyun’s hand and he curled their fingers together.

 

“What was his name?” Minho asked, breaking their eye contact.

 

“Chanseok. Chanseok Lee.” Jonghyun muttered, disbelief lancing his soft words. His eyes lifted then as he asked, “Did you get my signal?”

 

“Yes, we have a location but considering the circumstances our prosecutor needed more evidence to back your claim before the arrest warrant was put out for him and his colleagues. I believe you’ve given us just that.” Minho flashed a big, warm smile before turning to Jinki. “Do you think you could identify them if needed? Testify even?”

 

Jonghyun could see how uneasy Jinki felt just by the shift in his body language. “Identify them yes. Testify…. if only absolutely needed for a conviction. I can’t… can’t go back there.”

 

Understandable,” Siwon said as he put away his notepad. “Thank you for answering our questions.”

 

“I hope you have a speedy recovery, sir.” Minho added before bowing and leaving the room.

 

Jinki seemed to deflate as soon as the door closed behind the two men. It was like he sensed Jonghyun wanted to ask him his own questions when he laid his head back with a sigh and closed his eyes. “Please just bring me back my baby. I’m tired.”

 

Jonghyun swallowed thickly before smiling. “Of course. I’ll be right back Baby.” Jinki watched him walk out with slumped shoulders and a guilty feeling descended over his heart.


 

-----