Project Waternew

Bring Us Home

Warning: There is a brief scene of slight violence and death threats and all that so... yeah

 

 

A blindfold was pulled over his eyes by the guy on the other seat to the side of him. Before his vision was completely cut off he noticed the gun in the man’s lap. Gwiboon began to shift against his chest, but with a soft kiss to the top of her head calmed her down. It was then he noticed her hat was missing. He gently moved his fingers over her cheeks to her nose and down to , and she began to gently chew on his knuckle. When the chewing stopped he figured she had fallen asleep. Gwiboon always did love the sound of their heartbeats.

 

He tried to focus on his other senses to figure out any clues on where they were being taken. There wasn’t much with how loud his blood was roaring into his ears, but he could make out the sound of rushing water and then the car bumped them around. He recognized the sound of train tracks and the distant sound of the locomotive coming. He could hear the soft voices of the driver and the first man who had held the gun to him talking in the front seat. They were too quiet to make out complete sentences, but he heard Jonghyun’s name. He hoped they were talking about someone with that name that wasn’t his husband.

 

When the car stopped and the engine was turned off someone came and pulled open his door. There was a harsh grip on his arm as he was tugged from the seat. Under his feet felt like gravel or some type of small rock. It crunched as he walked where he was being lead without question. The diaper bag was tight in his grip and his other hand was on Gwiboon against his chest. There was an order given to the man pulling him, “Take the Baby.”, as soon as the sound of a slamming door was heard.

 

Panic set in his chest. He couldn’t try his best to make sure she was okay if she wasn’t with him. When he felt the fingers curling around the strap at his back he twisted away, dropping the diaper bag and curling his arms around Gwiboon. “She stays with me.” Jinki growled.

 

He heard laughter around him and before he could notice someone was coming up behind him there was a sharp pain against his skull and he staggered forward. The last thing that happened before he out was he made sure he didn’t fall on his daughter.

 

                    -----


 

The cuffs around his wrists were cutting into his skin, but neither that or the throbbing of his jaw hurt more than the sound of his baby girl's cries. The man he figured to be the leader of this whole thing was standing above him. The floor beneath Jinki's knees was hard and cold as he listened to the command shouted at him, "Tell me what you know about Project Waternew."

    Jinki squinted up at the man before spitting the fluid in his mouth at the other's shoes. "For the last
time I don't know anything about that damn thing."

    Jinki didn't flinch when his collar was grabbed violently by the man. "You're telling me you have no idea about anything on the project your husband is the leader of?"

    “That’s exactly what I’m telling you.”

 

“I don’t think you’re being very truthful to me.” The man smiled wide, almost creepily so as his fingers flexed around Jinki’s dirty shirt collar. “Go get the girl. Maybe he’ll talk if she’s the one getting hurt.”

 

Jinki’s eyes widened as he fought against the grip of the other man. “No.. no no no! I don’t know anything! I promise you. I don’t know anything about what he does other than he works for the government doing something with computer software. Please don’t hurt her.” He turned his head to watch in sheer terror as one of the goons moved toward the other door in the room. In a last attempt to save his little girl he stared into the leader’s eyes and propositioned, “ My phone is in the diaper bag, on the very bottom in the pouch we keep her extra hats. I’ll unlock it. You can call Jonghyun, you can do anything you want, just let me have my daughter. Please.” Gwiboon’s cries increased in volume as the door was opened, but maybe that’s just because there wasn’t a barrier blocking the sound anymore.

 

The leader seemed to contemplate the request before he was letting go of his collar and stepping around him to kneel down.  Jinki  felt the cuffs being unlocked and pulled from his wrists as the leader yelled to his man in the other room, “Leave her, her father is coming.” He then walked around to look at Jinki’s face as he stood, “You get her and you come right in here. Try anything and she will be harmed.”

 

Jinki stopped rubbing his wrists were the cuffs used to be and almost ran into the connecting room. Gwiboon was sat an old play pen. The once white net around it was now a dark yellow color of age with big holes throughout the surface. The baby girl was sitting up, and Jinki didn’t take any time in picking her up and holding her close. Her face was bright red as her screams continued. Her breathing hiccupped when she saw her dad and the cries turned into a whimper as she recognized him. He followed instructions and carried her back into the room. The leader pointed to the wall and Jinki walked over to slide down the wall to sit on the floor.

 

Gwiboon didn’t seem to have anything physically wrong with her. She had a little dirt on her cheeks and hands, but she wasn’t hurt. He was cleaning off her cheek when the sound of something hitting the ground near his legs caught his attention. When he looked away from Gwiboon he noticed it was the diaper bag. “Get the phone out and unlock it. Dial your husband’s number but do not press talk.” Jinki wasn’t going to disobey with the gun pointed at them.

 

His fingers curled around the top of the bag with little effort and he tugged it closer to it. He shoved his hand to the bottom where he knew the stupid thing fell all the time and grabbed the blue pencil bag. He placed one hat on his leg before pulling his cellphone out and unlocking it with his thumb on the scanner near the bottom. Once Jonghyun’s number was typed in he slid the device over to it thunked against the leader’s shoe. Whatever the other man did Jinki wasn’t paying attention to it. He pulled on the extra hat onto Gwiboon’s head instead. She had to have her diaper changed too, but he figured he’d wait to see what they wanted from Jonghyun before asking if he could do that for her. Taking a chance wasn’t in the question when there were loaded guns throughout the room.

 

It was the sound of the dialing tone and then his husband’s voice that brought his attention back to their kidnapper.  “Hello Baby I was-”

 

This isn’t your husband Kim Jonghyun and if you want to see your family ever again I advise you to listen very closely.”

 

Jonghyun sounded so scared it felt like a stab to the chest to Jinki, “Who are you?”

 

“Who I am doesn’t really matter; However, if you want them back alive I will call you in exactly one hour with directions. If you do not pick up the first time when you do answer I’ll ask which one you want to kill. Understood?”

 

“Perfectly.”

 

“Great. Talk to you soon.”

 

                        -----

 

“Great. Talk to you soon.”  The call was ended with a click and it was only then Jonghyun’s breathing began again. Who had his family? Were they even alive? Were they okay? What was he supposed to do? Should he call the police and see what they would do, or wait and see if he could do this all by himself? All he knew was he couldn’t think of a day let alone a life without his husband and baby girl. He couldn’t live with himself if something happened to either of them.

 

The code on the computer screen in front of him blurred together and his hands shook. This section of code wasn’t about to get finished. His mind was racing too much and his body was shaking too much with worry and nervousness to even think about revising a coworkers code. He heard the sound of heels coming toward him and then the sweet voice of his boss’ secretary filled his ears, “You okay Jonghyun? You look a little pale.”

 

He coughed to clear his throat and forced a smile, “Yeah yeah I’m fine. I think I’m just a little tired. The baby kept us up a lot last night.”

 

Taeyeon giggled, “Well that’s what babies do. I hope she get’s into the habit of sleeping throughout the night for your sake.”

 

“Thank you.” She smiled and bowed her head to him before continuing on her way.

 

What in the world was he going to be asked to do? What could be so important that they had to take his family in order to make sure he’d do it?

 

                     -----

 

After the phone call the leader left through the right door and by the sounds of it out the front door as well. From what Jinki could tell there were two people out the right door, but then again there could be more or less since he saw them for maybe 5 seconds when the door was open. Then there was the big guy who was ordered to stay in the room with them. The muscle of the operation Jinki could venture to guess. So four people abducted him and his little baby to get something from his husband, but what could Jonghyun have that they’d go through so much to make sure he got it to them?

 

A part of him wanted to know what Jonghyun did at his job. When he had met the man in college he was a computer science and engineering double major, and he never imagined 6 years later that he would be held hostage in this dirty building with their baby hoping the guy pointing the gun at them didn’t suddenly get trigger happy.  He figured by the pain he was experiencing in his jaw that he had a least a minor fracture, but until they let them go there was nothing he could do about it. To take it off his mind he focused on Gwiboon.

 

He looked up at the big man against the wall. He was a good 5 inches taller than himself, double the weight at least and he looked like he smashed skulls in for a living. Which Jinki wasn’t going to put it past him. “What’s your name?”

 

The man looked at him startled before he said in a low voice, “Kyuchul.”

 

“Is it okay if I change her diaper Kyuchul?”

 

“Boss didn’t say you could.”

 

“He also didn’t say I couldn’t did he?”

 

 

 

Kyuchul’s mouth hung open as he scratched the back of his head with the gun free hand. “I guess it’s okay if he didn’t say you weren’t allowed.”

 

Jinki forced a smile before he got up onto his knees to pull the changing pad from the side of the bag. Once it was laid out he set Gwiboon down softly and she wiggled her limbs and gurgled happily. Jinki wished he could have her innocence. When he reached in the bag to grab a diaper and the wipes Kyuchul stepped closer asking, “What are you doing?”

 

With a raised eyebrow he laid the two things on the ground one after the other as his right hand was on Gwiboon’s tummy to keep her from rolling over. “I’m getting the things I need to change her diaper.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Her pants were shimmied down her never stopping legs, and laid to the side on the changing pad. The onesie was unsnapped and pushed up. “You’ve never changed a diaper have you.”

 

“I haven’t been around a lot of babies.”

 

“Well,” The little adhesive tabs were pulled and the diaper was unraveled. “Ah seems little miss wanted to be double the mess.” The wipes were quickly open and with familiarity she was wiped down, the dirty diaper removed and the new one laid in place a couple seconds either. “I’ve done this enough times the last 5 months I can do this still half asleep with both eyes closed.”

 

“I can’t do anything with my eyes closed.”

 

Jinki gave him a small smile before dressing Gwiboon again and picking her up. He had no idea what time it was, but he figured she had to be hungry. “Do you have a microwave in this place?”

 

“Uh in the room she was in before I believe.”

 

“Can you me in there so I can heat her up a bottle?”

 

Oh I’m not allowed to take you out of here.”

 

“You are very good at following instructions.” Jinki folded up the mat and shoved it back where it was kept before pulling out the bottle from the side mesh pocket. “I would love to follow your boss’ instructions that he gave me, but I can’t keep a hungry baby quiet. It’s humanly impossible and we wouldn’t want the boss unhappy would we?”

 

“You… pose a good point.” Kyuchul scratched his beard before shrugging. “ A couple minute trip to the next room won’t mean much if it means the baby is kept quiet. Alright come on.”

 

Jinki quickly grabbed one of the bottles of water he had packed on the bottom of the bag that morning and the can of formula. He walked toward the door and the way Kyuchul was following him with the gun pointed to his back was just a little unnerving if he was honest with himself. He held Gwiboon on his hip and scooped two cups of the formula with the measuring cup in the tin. After pouring in the white powder into the uncapped bottle he poured half of the water bottle into it. He screwed the cap back on and swirled the liquid to make sure all the powder dissolved before opening the microwave and punching in the time. Before it beeped he pulled the door open and tested the temperature on his wrist. 15 more seconds in the microwave and one more testing was needed before it was where it should be to give to her. He gathered his things and headed back into the room. He returned to his wall while Kyuchul returned to his spot in the corner between the small window and the closed door.

 

Gwiboon was laid back in the crook of his arm and the bottle’s was set to her lips. Her little fingers curled and uncurled on the bottle’s smooth surface, and with a smile he rubbed her cheek with his knuckle. Her eyes slowly blinked as she drank and Jinki gently patted her the way she liked. A little of his panic settled knowing she was fed and changed. For a little while he could almost deceive himself that it wasn’t bad as it seemed.

 

                        -----

 

The leader returned sometime after that. Jinki’s phone was pushed into his back pocket and there was a white plastic bag in his right hand. He set the bag on the floor near Jinki’s feet and pushed it close enough to it hit his shoes. He blinked up at Kyuchul’s boss. “What is that?”

 

“The blanket you left in the car for your daughter and the stuffed otter. It get’s a little chilly at night here.”

 

Jinki took that as they weren’t going home tonight. He leaned forward and pushed open the bag. Sure enough the only two things in there were the two items he said there’d be. The blanket was pulled out and laid over Gwiboon who was curled up in his arm against his stomach. Her toes curled against his other arm periodically. Then he lifted her arm and laid the otter against her chest and cheek. She kept the stuffed animal close and nuzzled against it in her sleep. “Thank you.” Jinki mumbled.

 

“I don’t plan on harming the babe. Honest.” Jinki searched the man’s face for any sign of lying. “She’s only here as leverage. If your husband does what we ask of him than the both of you will return home, but she will no matter what.” Jinki knew he shouldn’t trust the man, but something tugged at his instincts. “Let’s see if he answers.”

 

The phone didn’t even finish it’s first ring before it clicked through. The leader smiled wide at Jinki as he said, “I’m so glad you answered. I really don’t want bloodshed just yet.”

 

“I’ll do whatever you want from me, but only after I talk to my husband.”

 

“You aren’t in a position to make demands.”

 

“I won’t do anything until I know they are alive.”

 

The man’s eyes flicked over to them before he was sighing, “Fine. You have two minutes.” The phone was tossed toward him and landed on Jinki’s shins. He reached quickly for it without thinking, but luckily Gwiboon stayed asleep against him.

 

“Hey Baby.”

 

The rushed intake of breath and the breaking of his I’m so sorry. So so sorry Baby. Are you okay? Is Gwi? This is all my fault.. .I..” husbands voice broke his heart. “

 

“Hey… hey calm down. Don’t cry. I’m fine. Gwi is sleeping in my arms. We’re okay. You’re brilliant Baby. Whatever they asked of you, you’ll be able to do it and bring us home. I know you can.”

 

Before Jonghyun could say anything the phone was being snatched from against Jinki’s ear.

 

                    -----

 

“I love you!”  The called out words seemed so distant, but Jonghyun grasped onto them nonetheless.

 

“That wasn’t two minutes.”

 

"Doesn’t matter. It was two minutes on my time.” Jonghyun tried to calm himself to focus completely on whatever the man was about to instruct him to do. “Now I took your family to force your hand, and you’ll get them back if you succeed unharmed.”

 

What do you want me to do?”

 

"I want you to hand over Project Waternew."