eight

Secretly Conspicuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well? How was the meeting with Jongin today?" 

Seulgi was playing Bach's Partita No. 2 when her father came into her bedroom a bit after supper. Setting down her violin, she joined her father on the white leather ottoman at the end of her canopy bed.  

"It went well." 

"Well--" 

"And before you say anything about him, that accident wasn't Jongin's fault. It doesn't make him a bad person, so--" 

"I know, sweetheart." her dad smiled at her and squeezed her shoulder. "He's a good man and he would make an excellent husband and son-in-law." 

"So this means yes?" 

"Just like you wanted."

After exchanging goodnights, Seulgi packed up her violin properly and flopped onto her bed. 

It was true that Seulgi had seen many, many suitors and she never liked any particular one. She told Jongin that she pointed out all their flaws to her parents, the ultimate judge, because she didn't want to get married, although it was a bit of a stretch. 

She didn't want to marry any of them because she only wanted Jongin. 

Seulgi's father was even pickier than she was and he didn't like any of her suitors any more than she did. Seulgi was more so worried that her father still resented Jongin and thankfully, he didn't.

Seulgi had always liked her position as Jongin's best and perhaps only female friend. It made her feel special. Jongin never walked any other girls home, except for her. Jongin never asked other girls if they wanted anything if he was going to buy coffee or drop by the convenience store, except for her. 

Even when Jongin had a girlfriend, Seulgi knew that she was of higher importance and priority. One phone call and Jongin would fly to her side as fast as he could, not matter who he was with. 

Now, Seulgi never took advantage of Jongin's kindness. She wasn't that kind of person and she knew that no matter what, Jongin would come to her, so there really was no need. However, while Jongin remained her by her side up until now, Seulgi knew it couldn't last. 

Despite the whole charade they kept up during the interview, saying how it was not their choice and that their parents would decide, all while seeming reluctant, Seulgi knew that them getting married was the best way for Jongin to fulfill his promise to her and for Seulgi to keep him by her side. Jongin knew that as well. He also knew just how much he owed her.

When Seulgi met with Sehun and learned of a certain hostess's involvement in Jongin's life, Seulgi was less than worried. However, upon seeing Jongin himself, she knew that his relationship with Krystal, whether it was over or still ongoing, had ignited some sparks. 

Luckily, Seulgi had always been an optimistic thinker and as she liked to think that fireworks, no matter how beautiful, didn't have a lasting flame.

 

***

 

"Jongin, you're my son. You will do what I say." 

Jongin sighed as he sat on the other end of the dining room table in the main family residence. 

"No, I won't." 

There was silence from the other end of the table. Jungkook was busy in the kitchen, preparing the tea for the afternoon and Jongin could hear Yeri's feathery footsteps on the upper level of the house, diligently cleaning as she hummed a quiet tune. 

"Oh, but sweetheart, I already called the tailor to get you the burgundy suit that I know you'll look just adorable in. Will you please meet with him so he can get the measurements?" 

Jongin's mother was one of the few people in Jongin's family that he saw on a regular basis, yet still actually liked. She was sweet, caring; essentially everything Jongin's father wasn't.

"Mom, I have a lot of work this week and I--" 

"Listen to your mother and do as she says." Jongin's father said stiffly as he entered the room, adjusting his cuff links. Taking a seat next to his wife, he smacked the table lightly a few times. 

On cue, Jungkook came out of the kitchen carrying a silver tray of breakfast goods, but an alarm in Jongin's head was blaring for him to get out of the room. It was the case whenever his father came in. 

"I'm gonna get down to the firm." Jongin said as he stood and tucked in his chair carefully. 

"Before that, Jongin, take a seat. We need to talk about something." his parents beckoned him to sit once again. 

"No, no. I'll stand." Jongin sighed heavily.

"Kang Seulgi. How was that interview? You never got around to telling us." his father sipped his coffee without looking at him. Jungkook set the morning paper down in front of him. 

"It was fine." Jongin replied shortly. 

"Come on hon, we want to know more. Seulgi is a sweet girl and I think she would make a lovely wife." Jongin's mother piped up, not really helping Jongin's case.

"You know how the Kangs feel about me." Jongin said flatly. He was playing a really old and probably way out of play card, but he could at least try.

"And you know that they no longer feel that way. It was a small accident. If our families joined, it would be beneficial to both parties and they know it." Jongin's father said crisply. 

"Marriage is not a business deal, father." Jongin replied sourly. "I'll be leaving." 

"Alright sweetie, have a good day." his mother smiled at him as he backed away from the table. 

Not so much as a peep from his father.

Jongin hated everything about the main residence. The marble walls. The massive chandelier that hung from the ceiling of the dining room. The stupid old furniture that was only there for aesthetic purposes and uncomfortable to sit on. The twin staircases leading up to the eight different bedrooms with its king sized beds for no one to use. The library filled with books that were only for show. 

But there was nothing more about the mansion he hated than his father. 

Like Jongin said, his mother was sweet and loving. His two sisters, after realizing that all chances of taking over the firm were all lost to Jongin, were married to other families, so they were never really around. He enjoyed the company of Jungkook, who was the grandson of their previous elder butler and depended on the job to put him through college, and Yeri, a young spirited art student. 

"Have a nice trip, Mr. Kim." Yeri rushed the down the stairs to send him off. 

"Have a nice trip." Jungkook grinned as he joined Yeri in their send off.  

Jongin had been called back to the main house for a follow up on his date with Seulgi, but it had been postponed because his dad spent another late night working. His mother convinced him to stay for the night. After all, it got a little quiet with only two people living in a 20 000 square feet house and if it hadn't been for his mother, he would refuse to stay in the house on point. The very thought of being alone with his dad was a torturous thought.

"Mr. Kim." Byungho opened the car door as Jongin approached the full circular driveway in front of the house and yes, his father had placed a massive stone fountain that spewed out water from the jar of a small angel. 

"What’s with the formalities?" Jongin asked curiously as he climbed into the car. 

"Your father is keeping a watchful eye from the kitchen window. It would be best if we kept up the proper behaviour." Byungho replied grimly as he shut the door. 

"Typical." Jongin grumbled as he glared at his father through the darkly tinted windows of the car, with the latter standing at the window of the dining room sipping from a porcelain cup. 

Being too friendly with the help was a sign of weakness, or at least that’s what Jongin was taught. Frankly, being kind to anyone was a waste of time. Apparently, if one should have the energy to be kind, they may as well use the energy to kiss up to business partners and the like. It really because that was the rule that kept Jongin from making friends most of his life, or real friends at least. The kind of friends he had for awhile were people like Sehun and Jongin spent a great deal of time making himself believe that he liked hanging around people that talked about money, the pretentious and ultimately boring sport of golf, and other similar subjects. Jongin did eventually break off all these relationships, throwing himself into his work.

Hell, if he hadn't met Chanyeol, he would probably still be hunched over a desk every night writing up cases. 

Park Chanyeol could only be described as truly unique. He was flamboyant in the way that Sehun wasn't. He was the quirky weird friend that knew how to liven up a dead party- the friend that was always invited the events and the friend that could convince his friends to do the stupidest and strangely, he would always succeed. If anything, he was a man that knew how to live without regrets and Jongin envied that about him. If it weren't for Chanyeol, Jongin would not have met Jongdae or Kyungsoo either. 

"Ah, Jongin. I was told to inform you that like last year, your father will not be attending the service next month." Byungho said suddenly, breaking the silence. 

Every year, it was the same. Every year, Byungho would tell him that his father wouldn't be attending the service and every year, though Jongin should have been used to it by now, it truly angered him. His father did a lot of things that Jongin resented him for, but this was what really made him hate every fiber of his being. It was this that had Jongin's insides revolt with the realization that he had his father's blood flowing through his veins. 

"I'm sorry, Jongin. I really am." Byungho said softly as Jongin seethed in the backseat of the car.

"It's not your fault. It's my old man's." Jongin said through his teeth. "You know what? Take me to C.A.D." 

"But-- actually, I'm sorry. I understand." Byungho said as he made a right turn instead of going straight like he usually did.  

C.A.D stood for Cake a Diem, a multi-million dessert empire that made everything from cakes to ice creams. Chanyeol's father was the pastry baron of C.A.D and Chanyeol was next in line. The latter, however, was never serious about, well, anything. Chanyeol once mentioned that h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter