six

Secretly Conspicuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Aria Cafe was a small cozy little building that sat on the outskirts of the city, nearing the rural areas. It was a pretty homey little place, with a patchwork of cobblestone walls and vines creeping on the frame of the entrance. At first glance, it seemed like a common, pretty, and peaceful little cottage. 

Only this pretty little cottage charged ₩60 000 for a ing hamburger.

A proper lady was never late. Punctuality was stressed excessively and Seulgi followed those rules. She was already seated when Jongin arrived at their arranged time on the dot. She had chosen the most secluded corner she could; a small round table by the fire place in the far end of the place. 

"Jongin." Seulgi said in her song-voice with a serene kind of smile. 

"Seulgi." Jongin replied stiffly. He hadn't seen her in years and awkwardness hung in the air like a fog. 

"Please, sit." Seulgi motioned at the seat in front of her. "Don't be a stranger." 

Jongin nodded and took a seat in front of her. Seulgi was awfully calm like usual, with a polite smile permanently etched into her sharp features. Her lips were a deep red and her hair was straightened, a brown backdrop against the dazzling diamond earrings dangling just above her shoulders.

"How are you? Did you like New York?" Jongin started. He figured it was the polite thing to do since he was late. 

"It was... different. I did like it quite a bit." Seulgi said with a soft smile. "It was little lonely though. How have you been?" 

"Good. Busy, I suppose." Jongin twiddled his thumbs under the table. 

A waiter came by with two steaming drinks. Jongin looked quizzically at Seulgi.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I ordered for the both of us. I know you don't like coffee, so I got you a hot chocolate." she explained sheepishly. 

"Oh, it's alright. Thank you for your thoughtfulness." Jongin took a sip of his drink, content that he didn't have to drink the nasty stuff known as coffee. "You haven't forgotten." 

"No. I haven't, Jongin." Seulgi replied in a hushed tone, her voice caressing his name softly as she looked a little lost for a moment. 

"Anyway, how--"

"Look, Jongin. We can cut this whole act. You know me and I know you and both of us know why we're here." Seulgi leaned back in her seat, her lips pursed gently as her hands folded delicately on the table. "I've been to about fifty seven marriage interviews since I got back and I'm tired. Tired of all these pretentious men who only care about my family's money and tired of being assumed that I'll be the perfect trophy wife since I'm daddy's pretty little princess." 

"I'm not sure how to reply to that." Jongin was surprised that Seulgi actually had an opinion. She spent so long being molded into the epitome of obedience.

"I'm not asking for a reply. I just needed to get some things out." Seulgi said with a shrug. "I can't really vent out to my girlfriends, loose lips and all." 

"I see." 

"You're awfully... quiet. Like your mind is somewhere else." Seulgi noted. 

"Am I?" Jongin cocked his head in confusion.

"Is it because of your girlfriend?" Seulgi asked. 

Jongin nearly choked on his own breath, but he swallowed the urge and resorted to twiddling his thumbs under the table, pushing Krystal's face out of his mind.

"I don't have a girlfriend." he answered and he wasn't lying. Krystal wasn't his girlfriend. She wasn't even really a friend, honestly. Either way, he needed to keep her far, far away from his affairs. He couldn't bring her into this; she was innocent and didn't need the heat that came along with knowing him. 

"You're lying." Seulgi sighed, resigned as she shook her head. 

"I'm not." Jongin said firmly. 

"Really? You want to put up a front with me? I know when you're lying, Jongin. You blink twice when you tell a lie." Seulgi rolled her eyes. "I heard about your girlfriend. News travels fast, especially if you leave a party carrying her in your arms."

"Alright, I won't lie to you, Seul. I did bring a girl home with me, but she's not my girlfriend." Jongin explained as he sipped his drink. 

"I see." Seulgi murmured. "It's fine. It's none of my business, but as for this arrangement, it doesn't matter what we think since its up to--"

"Our parents decide." Jongin said and rolled his eyes. "Nothing new." 

"I'll speak to my father, point out your flaws like I do with everyone else." Seulgi said with a grin. "I'm curious though. You've been with a number of women, but I never imagined you would take one to your private home and spend the night." 

"It's not what you think, Seul. She was drunk and I helped." Jongin sighed. 

"Krystal, right?" 

Jongin was still fighting his earlier choke of surprise and now he felt the urge to spit out his drink upon hearing Krystal's name come out of Seulgi's lips. 

"I had an interview with Sehun last night. He let your name and her name slip in the same sentence." 

"You met with Sehun?" Jongin asked incredulously. 

"Well, yes. He was one of my many interviews. He was... a bit too flamboyant for my tastes." Seulgi wrinkled her nose, trying to be polite. Jongin had to salute her for being able to sit through a meal with Sehun and still manage not to call him a jerk. "Krystal?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter