two

Secretly Conspicuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of all the people in the world Jongin expected to book an appointment with, Krystal was not one of them.

So when he got the notice that Krystal would be coming to pay him a visit at three o'clock on Thursday, he wasn't sure what he was going to do or expect.

He left her a one million won tip. What else did she want?

So Thursday arrived and Jongin almost felt nervous, an emotion he very rarely associated himself with. Luhan being sick only made things worse since he had such a calming and presence and knew how to calm him down. He'd been sick for nearly a week and Jongin's had a string of secretaries come in as substitutes. Some were just women looking to get into his pants while others were tjpse who needed any job they can get. Today's substitute was the best he'd gotten. She was young and spirited, but a hard worker and wasn't interested in him whatsoever, which was a weight lifted. Perhaps he should make her his permanent substitute.

"Sir, your three o'clock is here. Ms. Krystal or something." Sunyoung poked her head in. 

Jongin nodded, feeling the sudden need to straighten his tie as well and smooth over his somewhat messy bed head that he didn't have time to fix. 

"Bring her in." 

She disappeared and a moment later, brought Krystal in.

He would be lying if he said that he wasn't somewhat happy with her standing in his office. She was just so interesting. What was Jongin to do in this situation? He played professional and calm when he first met her, so he might as well keep it up. It wasn't really an act if he were to classify his behavior. He lacked the kind of open and jovial spirit that most of his friends had.

Sitting at his desk, he glanced up at her and then waved a hand, dismissing the secretary, who left with a slight bow. Krystal stood alone at the door with her chest held high, shoulders squared and her back straightened- a confident air that Jongin admired since the first moment he met here. Her peach lips were missing the crimson red that he remembered her in and they were pursed and there was a small furrow in between her soft brows. She didn't have any black around her eyes and with the absence of bronzer; she was much paler than Jongin had thought. Maybe it was the lighting because her hair was much lighter than he remembered and fell in a light brown waterfall down to her waist.

Jongin motioned at one of the two chairs sitting in front of his desk.

"Please take a seat."

Krystal looked hesitant for a moment like she was contemplating whether or not he could be trusted. She ultimately decided that he was, sitting down slowly.

"And how am I to address you?" he asked curiously as he locked eyes with her.

"Krystal will do," she answered coolly, surprisingly still maintaining eye contact; most would've have looked away by now.

"Alright, Krystal. How may I help you today?" Jongin folded his hands on her desk, still lost in her pretty brown eyes.

"I believe you to be a very smart man, Mr. Kim. You should know exactly why I'm here." Krystal replied, an edge to her voice. She suddenly smiled wistfully and shook her head. "Actually, if you truly were a smart man, you would not have given me this in the first place."

"I'm sorry, but I don't understand."

Krystal raised her eyebrows at him, a click signaling that she had snapped open her clutch. Jongin watched as a nimble hand reached into the bag and pulled out a thick white envelope. She squeezed the envelope slightly before sliding the package across the desk.

"Open it. Then you'll understand." she sounded angry now and Jongin could only wonder why.

Opening the envelope, Jongin pulled out a neat stack of bills. 

"I don't understand," he said as he gently slid the money back in and closed the envelope. 

"You don't understand? Well, then I'll make you understand." Krystal said through gritted teeth before leaning forward with a certain fire in her eyes. 

"This is the little tip you left me after our session. I don't know what kind of stupid ignorant you are, but this is the most insulting thing I've ever received in my life. I'm not some sort of hooker or charity that you need to leave pity money for." 

Jongin was surprised when she finished her spiel. He'd never met someone like her. All the other girls he met would be dying to squeeze every cent out of him they could, but this one returned the gift he so graciously gave her. He wasn't sure how to react as he simply remained seated and looked at his hands. 

"This is all I came here for. Thank you for seeing me today, Mr. Kim. Have a nice day." Krystal rose from her seat, straightening her top and adjusting her clutch in her arms. 

"Kr-" 

"Oh and one more thing." 

Jongin stopped to listen to her. 

"Although I don't think this would be an issue, I would just like to say that Kwon's Angels no longer wishes to accommodate you and your friends," Krystal said with a wrinkle to her nose, as if remembering Sehun. 

"Sehun and I are not friends." Jongin felt like he had to explain himself.

It’s not like he's lying. He and Sehun weren't actually friends. They had met to discuss business through the recommendation of their fathers who were both prominent lawyers. After hours of negotiation, Sehun suggested they go, quote, "have some fun". Jongin thought he meant going for a couple of drinks down at some bar, not a cabaret club. Also in his defense, he had thought that Kwon's Angels was the name of a bar since all the bars around here were so weirdly named. That night with Krystal was the first time he had ever set foot in a place like that.

"Regardless, just stay away," she warned before turning her heel and walking out. 

Dumbfounded would probably be the best word to describe Jongin. Krystal was blunt, sharp and almost rude, yet still so, so, so interesting. 

Reaching over his desk, he buzzed his secretary. 

"Yes, Mr. Kim?" 

"Please look up the address for a bar called the Hit 'n' Lit." 

***

Soojung felt rather proud of herself and the way she handled the situation with Jongin. She stood up for herself and didn't lose her cool. If there was anything she learned from Sooyeon, it’s that yelling and screaming gets her nowhere. She defended herself with class and etiquette and by that, she meant that it was very lenient of her to not hurl anything at Jongin's pretty face. Maybe it was the lighting, but Jongin was even more attractive than she remembered. He had the sleeves of his white dress shirt rolled up to his elbows, where she could see the veins protruding ever so slightly through his tan skin, which is in all honesty, a weakness for Soojung. He had slight bed head, which Soojung did find somewhat cute.

If only he weren't an insensitive . He really was her type.

Arriving at her apartment complex with an arm of groceries, she climbed up the rusty stairs and stuck her key into the lock, slamming the door open.

"Are you watching Miracle in Cell Number seven again?" Soojung sighed as she returned home to see her sister a weeping mess, crying over a bucket of discount vanilla ice cream. 

"Uh huh." Sooyeon hiccupped as she sniffled. 

"Well, I gave back the money. He really is a rich bastard. He didn't even say sorry." Soojung sighed as she flopped onto the couch and snatched the spoon and ice cream tub from her sister. 

Sooyeon was crying too hard to answer and Soojung could only roll her eyes flippantly at her overly emotional sister. She's never watched the movie in full and doesn't plan to waste her time watching a movie about father and daughter love. 

"Wait, aren't you supposed to be at work?" Soojung had completely missed the fact that it was unusual for her sister to be home in the afternoon on a weekday. 

Sooyeon switched off the TV, still sniffling a little bit. She leaned back on the couch and her lips parted slowly as she spoke. 

"Fired."

"Why? Why were you fired?" Soojung sprung up like a cat on a hot roof, shocked and angry. 

Sooyeon shrugged and sighed, shaking her head. She looked distraught and disappointed and Soojung wrapped her arms around her. Sooyeon was working as an intern in a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter