sixteen

Secretly Conspicuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By this time of year, Kyungsoo could already see Jongin's spirits sinking rapidly. It wasn't just him; Jongdae and Chanyeol could also tell. It was an annual thing, but even after all these years, Kyungsoo couldn't quite find the words to help him. While sadness was a part of Jongin's mood swings, years of suppressed anger was also there. Kyungsoo couldn't blame Jongin for hating his father; if Kyungsoo's father was anything like Jongin's, he would've ripped his head right off.

While that was one thing, Kyungsoo could see that Jongin and Krystal were getting along marvelously. She'd started coming to the diner regularly and Sunyoung was thrilled with the addition of another girl. Apparently, only hanging out with Jongdae all the time had its pitfalls.

"Hey." 

Speak of the devil. 

Sunyoung walk into the diner alone, which didn't happen often. She almost always came with Jongdae or Krystal. 

"Hello," he replied as he wiped the bar counter. 

"Nice crowd," Sunyoung smirked, looking around the almost empty diner. 

"It's 3:00 on a Wednesday afternoon," Kyungsoo replied and handed her a menu, "You're not with Jongdae?"

"Working," she said. 

Kyungsoo looked at her as she played with the ends of her hair. 

"Are you guys together?" 

Sunyoung stared at him and then laughed. 

"No, no, we're not like that." 

"Well, what are you guys like?" 

"We're not like anything. Drinking buddies, maybe? Why?" 

"Curious. He's quite fond of you." 

"Doubt it. I mean, we have fun together, but... I don't know..."

The tips of her ears turned a bright red as she covered her face with the menu.

"I see."

"What about you?" she asked quickly.

"What about me?" 

"Got anyone special?" 

Kyungsoo shook his head. 

"No, no, no one right now." 

Sunyoung perked up, "Right now? Are you gonna go for them in the future? Who is it?"

"No, I mean there isn't anyone," he said, "Right now." 

"Oh come on. You're lying. Maybe I can help," she pointed to herself.

Kyungsoo smiled, "I appreciate it, but I don't think it would do anything for me even if I liked someone right now. I work all the time and Jongdae says that I'm-"

Sunyoung waved her hand and scowled, "Forget what Jongdae said. He's an idiot if he thinks he knows what women want. You're a really great guy." 

"Cold." 

"Mean."

"Why are you so distant all the time?" 

These were the types of things Kyungsoo often heard from women, but to hear that he was a "great" guy? There must be something wrong with Sunyoung.

"Yeah right," he muttered.

Sunyoung laughed, "Lighten up, buddy. I mean it. You're a real catch. Any girl would be lucky to have you," she said and winked.

Kyungsoo felt his face heat up; he wasn't used to these kinds of compliments.

"Thanks." 

***

 

Soojung woke up to the sound of running water in the middle of the night. Had Sooyeon's shift run long? Perhaps. At this point, making the new rent was taking a lot out of both of them. 

"Sooyeon?" Soojung called out when she heard the creak of the door. 

"Did I wake you? Sorry." Sooyeon whispered. 

"It's fine. I was awake anyway." 

"Liar." 

Soojung felt the creak of the bottom bunk as Sooyeon climbed into bed and tucked herself in. 

"So, on the topic of lying, how're things going with your boyfriend?" Sooyeon said after a moment of silence. 

Soojung nearly rolled right off the edge of the bed; she hadn't so much as even mentioned Jongin's name to Sooyeon after they started dating. 

"W-what are you-"

"You can stop with the 'what are you talking about' act, Soojung. Did you really think that you could keep something like that from me?" 

"Well, no. I wasn't especially hiding it."

"You didn't tell me about it either. I don't suppose you think that I bought all those nights you spent away from home were at Jinri's." 

Soojung wasn't sure if Sooyeon was hurt at all; they both had a shared trait of being talented at hiding emotions. Soojung didn't care to know how Sooyeon found out, though she could only assume Jinri had accidentally spilled the beans. 

"Sorry."

"It's okay. I get that you don't always wanna share, but you know... I worry about you." 

"Look, the only reason is that I don't even know how serious it is with him, so I didn't want to say anything." 

"Alright, you can spare me the details, but can I at least know who it is? A name?"

"Jongin. Kim Jongin." 

"Seriously."

"I am." 

Sooyeon didn't answer and Soojung half expected her to get out of bed to hit her. 

"Sooyeon?" 

"Soojung, what are you doing? A guy like that." 

"... I don't know." 

"Do you like him?" 

"... I don't know. If I didn't really like him, I don't think we'd be going out." 

There was a comfortable silence and Soojung thought that her sister had fallen asleep. Just as she closed her eyes to do the same, Sooyeon spoke again. 

"Soojung, you know this can't work." 

Pulling the covers over her head, Soojung squeezed her eyes shut. 

"I know." 

 

***

 

"Pardon?"

"Sweetheart, I know it's a hassle, but I promise it is just a bunch of formalities. Some of these families are quite powerful and this just serves as a means of making their acquaintance."

"Your father and I understand that you have your sights set on Kim Jongin, but of course, there's nothing wrong with exploring some other options."

The taste of Pu'er tea soured in Seulgi's mouth as she listened to her mother and father. It wasn't so much a concern as it was an annoyance for her to attend all these marriage interviews. 

Turning to her father, Seulgi asked, "How many?" 

"Four." 

"Who are they?" 

"Well, let's see... There's the Yoo family's son. You went to school with that boy right?" 

Seulgi's mind conjured up a blurry vague image of Yoo Kihyun. They were in the same class in senior year of high school, but they never really spoke. 

"The headmaster of Daeyoung Academy also wishes for you to meet with his son. I don't believe you've met him before, but Eunkwang a fine young man," Her father continued, "Medi. K's second son is also among them. Don't be angry, Seul, but if you were to choose Kim Myungsoo over Jongin, the family would be fine with tha-" 

"Father," Seulgi cautioned. 

"Sorr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter