Ice

For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After she received the order from the customer, Kei twisted slightly to the side to relay the aforementioned order to her girlfriend/business partner, Sujeong. "One medium shave ice with all the toppings except for kiwi~”

 

"No kiwi, got it." The other girl replied as she nodded and began assembling the order right away, setting an empty bowl on the table to start. She scooped some fruit they’d diced beforehand and placed it at the bottom of the bowl. Next was the main and essential ingredient of the shave ice, the ice itself. Sujeong bent down to open the cooler where the two of them stored all of their ice, only to find a plastic bag with just barely enough ice to fulfill this one order. She grabbed the small steel shovel anyway, gathering the remaining ice and loading it into the super-efficient shaved ice machine.

 

While the machine whirred and blended the cubes of ice to bits, Sujeong got ahold of Kei’s attention and informed her girlfriend of their current dilemma.  "We've completely run out of ice. What should we do?” The couple gazed uneasily at the long line formed by excited beachgoers hoping to get a taste of their popular shave ice. Before Kei could suggest a plan, however, the two of them heard the screeching of tires nearby, and they turned around to see a car that seemed to be rushing straight towards them.

 

“Watch out!” The girls heard a few of their customers scream from behind them.

 

“Is it just me or is that car ready to smash into our stand?!” Sujeong shrieked, panicking and attempting to save as much of their equipment and supplies as possible.

 

"M-Maybe they really want some shaved ice?" Kei squeaked in response as she stared at the rapidly approaching vehicle in wide-eyed horror.

 

Sujeong grabbed and tugged at her girlfriend’s hand in desperate urgency. “I think they want to kill us, we should run!”

 

Kei didn’t budge. She wasn’t about to abandon their shave ice stand just yet. “Wait, let me put this up real quick!” She scurried over to the side and with lightning speed, she managed to pin a large ‘sold out’ sign to the front of their stand. A horrified Sujeong wondered how that seemingly unnecessary addition could possibly make any difference in the end when the person navigating the vehicle appeared intent on destroying the stand - but shockingly enough, the deranged driver seemed to notice said sign, and the car swerved right into the nearest available parking space.

 

The girls running the targeted stand, as well as their anxious patrons, heaved a great sigh of relief upon the last-minute rescue. Kei giggled, deciding to laugh off the situation instead of pointlessly stressing and freaking out over it. Realizing that their last customer determinedly remained in line and was still waiting for their order, she continued where they’d left off and placed the finishing touches on the shave ice.

 

“That sure was a close one, right Sujeong?”When she heard no response from the girl standing behind her, Kei stole a look over her shoulder. “Sujeong?”

 

The taller girl had her fists clenched at her sides and huge droplets of tears bubbling up in her eyes. “How can you act like nothing just happened? We were going to be smushed flat like those fishes with both eyes on only one side of its face!” Sujeong wailed. The small commotion attracted some concerned customers, who came forward with the desire of consoling the girl.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter