A Friend?

Stand By Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3- A Friend?

Thea’s Pov

February 14, 2010

 

My feet quickly scuttled me to shelter as the soft wet pelts hit my head. The thick wet air smelled sweet as always. I always loved rainy days the most for some odd reason. Even though it always made my hair frizz up, something about the storm was oddly calm. It was like the rain would always wash my worries and fears away. I could always rely on rain to comfort me…  

 

I ran past kids sharing umbrellas, and hopping in rain puddles. I always wondered what was so fun about jumping in water. Wouldn’t you just get messy? I sighed still running letting the thought drift away.

 

When I finally made it to the familiar building of education, I stood by the main entrance doors and waited, for nothing in particular, outside watching the rain fall upon my fellow classmates. Oddly enough, I wanted to go and play with them. It looked fun. I don’t know how jumping in muddy wet liquid could be fun, but their smiles that strung along laughs convinced me that it must be at least amusing.  

 

Instead of joining their childish actions, I snapped back into my senses and looked to my wrist watch. Only 7:45. Good I have fifteen minutes to study for that science test. Maybe I should buy some food from the vending machine while I’m at it? Oreos sound good right now… But my retreat to the inside was delayed when I heard the same sweet voice that brought me comfort just a day ago. I whisked around with unknown hope pinching at my heart.

 

And there he was. Just as cheerful as always. I watched the young boy splash muddy water upon another who seemed to be his friend. They chased each other with life bursting from their eyes around a couple of girls that did not look pleased. In the end they all ended up laughing, and even the girls joined in on the mud fight. Must be nice… Unawarely I hoped Taehyung would turn to see me, and invite me, but nothing came. We were friends right? Maybe he wouldn’t mind if I joined…

 

I took a step toward my classmates. But when lightning struck the ground somewhere far away, I suddenly remembered her. That’s when the same cringing voice crept up my spine. “Why the hell would I love you Thea?…” My hand that was reaching out recoiled in fear as I looked to my feet in a daze. Why is she still in my head?... I thought my memories would be long washed out by now. A single tear fell upon the shoelaces of my shoe. She’s dead, but I still hurt.

 

Almost as if it was on cue, my cheek stung with pain. Wait why did my cheek hurt? I knocked back into reality to realize Taehyung was a few feet in front of me. I touched my cheek, and discovered that mud had been splattered onto my pale face. My brows knit in annoyance as I realized what he had done. As soon as moved toward him, he took off laughing hysterically.

 

“YAH KIM TAEHYUNG!!”

 

I quickly scooped up a handful of mud forgetting all about my mom, and dashed after the young ten year old boy. I’m going to make history today, and kill you with mud you brat. I was a few steps behind him so I decided to fling my mud at him, but he dodged it with ease.

 

Taehyung turned around, and stuck his tongue out at me. “Catch me if you can slow poke!”

 

Ha! Me? A slowpoke?! With no hesitation, I balled up another chunk of wet mud, and chucked it at Taehyung will full force. My aim was off since I was hoping it would land on the face, but it still hit him on the shoulder. He stopped and looked to his shoulder with wide eyes realizing it was a bad decision to have worn a white shirt today.

 

“Who’s the slow poke now?” I crossed my arms, and smiled in victory.

 

Taehyung stared at me with wide eyes for a few seconds, but it felt as if those few seconds lasted minutes. Why is he so stunned… did I do something wrong? No, he threw the first mudball.

 

Just as our newfound fun gained a beginning, the alarm to act mature went off signaling me to start my studies. Has it been fifteen minutes already? Darn, I wanted to study a bit. Along with many other students, I snatched up my bag and dashed into the school doors not knowing that I was leaving behind a young boy in awe of my smile.


 

Taehyung’s Pov

 

“Now if you square the answer from the left side you can see tha….”

 

Today’s lesson didn’t get through to me at all today so I turned to the window out of boredom. The rain was still falling which brought me to thinking about the mud fight earlier. I dazedly watched the outside storm, but my thoughts were only consumed by the picture of a girl’s smile. I don’t recall ever seeing her smile before… It was breathtaking. If only she smiled a little more, guys would be all over her.

 

I unawarely gritted my teeth, and decided

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter