Wholly Theirs [ 2Ji ]

In Brevity

Theirs was not a love story for the books.

It developed slowly, uneventfully. In the quiet, warmly lit corners of cafes and the backs of concert halls, amidst the comforting smell of old books and the taste of bittersweet baked goods on their tongue.

("Let's half? I know won't be able to finish this."

"Ok, when we do this we always end up getting another set of separate orders."

"...so is that a no to halving?"

"...ugh ok fine just order already.")

They began as tentative friends (of sorts), brought together by common acquaintances. The friend of a friend of a friend - that was all they were to each other at the beginning, all they were to each other for a while. They were first introduced to each other at a party (of all places - Jihoon still shudders about it now), and over the flashing of the lights and the pounding of the bass, very little registered about the other save for their name.

("No that isn't true! I noticed you had pink hair then. It was cute."

"Huh, well I remember the anime shirt you wore. It was decidedly not.")

No one from their friends expected it really. On paper, they didn't work - their personalities simply didn't mesh. Taking sweet, shy Hong Jisoo and pairing him up with sharp-tongued Lee Jihoon seemingly spelled disaster. In fact, the one thing that could have brought them together - their shared love of music - had actually backfired at first, as Jihoon was far too stubborn in his own tastes, treating Jisoo's differing (read: hipster) preferences with some scorn.

("Jihoon-ah I know you were the one who took my CD! Cough it up!"

"Well, you borrowed my iPod without permission so I guess we're even now.")

Jeonghan had disapproved at first, Jisoo remembered. His best friend wouldn't stop squirming in his seat when he met Jihoon for the first time, and the moment the younger boy left to go to the bathroom, the blonde seemed to leap out of his skin as he leaned towards him, whispering harshly. "Don't you think he's a bit too rude to you, Jisoo-ah?"

("Hey, do you think it's weird that you've stopped calling me hyung?"

"...do you want me to call you hyung?" Jisoo-hyung?"

"Ok, ok I get it sounds weird, stop it.")

Later on, Jihoon reluctantly revealed to Jisoo that Seungcheol, his best friend had shared his misgivings about the relationship as well. Strangely enough, Seungcheol was actually worried for Jisoo, saying that the poor boy wouldn't be able to deal with Jihoon on his good days, how much more his worst?

("Huh. I didn't even know you had good days."

"Keep talking like that and I swear you'll witness them no more.")

Yet it almost seemed that Fate had a sense of humor when it came to them. When Jihoon had gotten into a spectacular shouting match with one of his professors and was summarily kicked out of class, Jisoo just happened to round the corner at that second, shock evident on his face. When Jisoo had been set up on a blind date that was unfortunately going to hell in a hand-basket (the girl told him she was an avid fan of his fingers, the ring finger in particular) and Jihoon had walked past at just the right moment to hear that ludicrous statement...

("You know I never did get that girl's fascination with your fingers. I mean, they're not that amazing."

"Awww thanks I can say the same thing about you. All. of. you.")

They didn't hold hands, do the normal things couples do. Whether in front of prying eyes or in the privacy of their own home, they never were outwardly affectionate with one another, their physical contact limited to a casual arm over the shoulder, the fleeting brushing of fingertips as they reached for the same thing...and subsequently argued over who got to use it first.

("Are those open arms of yours supposed to mean 'hug me'?"

"Yeah, I thought I'd try something new."

"Well, don't.")

When people would ask Jisoo how he could stand Jihoon's surly personality, the older boy would merely offer them a smile and casually divert the topic. When people would ask Jihoon how he could deal with Jisoo's constant timidity, the younger boy would simply turn on his heel and march away. Ironically, the lack of information about their relationship seemed to fan the flames of speculation even more, and the craziest one they ever heard had Jihoon raging for days on end, amidst his stammered attempts to explain to Jisoo exactly what those rumors in particular meant.

("I don't understand. I'm a sub? What is sub? Like a substitute?"

"Yes, yes, why don't we go with that?")

What people didn't see, what few ever realized, was that the things that seemed like barriers, destined to keep them apart, were the very forces that brought them together. Jihoon's willfulness soon became Jisoo's strength. Jisoo's reserve became Jihoon's humility. Jihoon was the only one who knew, intimately, the spine of steel that existed inside the other boy's soft heart. Jisoo was the only one who knew, intimately, the sentimental disposition that existed behind the other boy's unapproachable facade.

("You could have been nicer to her - she was just trying to be friendly."

"Friendly, or flirty? Regardless, I wouldn't have had to be mean if you had been firmer with her."

"You know I have a hard time doing that, Jihoon."

"I know, and that's why you have me.")

What people didn't see, what few ever realized, was that sometimes, love could be born from two people who grew into each other instead of fitting so perfectly together in the first place.

("Jihoon-ah?"

"Hmmm?"

"This song? The new one you wrote...Is it for me?"

".........No. How delusional of you, Jisoo.")

Yes, their love story was definitely not one to enthrall millions of people.

("Really? Starry eyes, winsome smile? Sounds a lot like me."

"Wow, I didn't realize you had such an elevated opinion of yourself. Shocking.")

But it was theirs.

("I won't judge you if it is. I think it's sweet."

"Well, don't expect anymore sweetness from me. This was a one time deal, ok?"

"Ha, I knew it!

I love you too Jihoon-ah.")

Wholly, completely theirs.

(".........fine,

I love you too, Jisoo.")