Breathless [ Soonsoo ]

In Brevity

A/N: Inspired by their MWAVE skit! Also sort of a sequel to my last Soonsoo drabble feat. dancemajor!Soonyoung and musicmajor!Jisoo.

Also eep I know I have other requests but I really needed to get this one out of my system. >< 


Cheery music spilled out from an open storefront and onto the streets, mixing in with the hurried footsteps and loud chatter of the early morning crush. Overhead, the sun shone brightly, dappling through green leaves, and a fresh breeze blew past and picked up the stray strands of his silvery hair.

All in all, it held the promise of a perfect day for one Kwon Soonyoung.

Or it would have, if the person he was meeting wasn’t running terribly, terribly late.

Soonyoung’s fingers drummed an incessant beat against his jean-clad thigh, his entire body jittery as his gaze flickered back and forth, up and down the street. Nope, no sign of him anywhere.

And though the dancer was notorious for his inability to keep still for even half a minute (a fact that was constantly corroborated by his two best friends), this time it was anxiousness that had his feet tapping endlessly against the pavement, his cheeks alternately puffing then deflating with each breath in attempt to calm himself.

(He was going to hit Seungkwan the next time he saw him and tell him none of his stupid “sure-fire” relaxing techniques worked, all his special yoga classes be damned.)

What was taking him so long? Soonyoung bit the inside of his cheek, as if that could settle the peculiar sensation of his insides twisting in on themselves. Did he possibly forget about today?

(Huh, with that thought alone, perhaps now he could give credence to the saying ‘heart plummeting down into the pit of your stomach.’)

“No worries, Kwon Soonyoung. No worries. He promised he’d come.” And now he was muttering to himself, good heavens - all the while pointedly ignoring the sideways glances he received from other bystanders. What did they know of his inner turmoil, huh? How could they ever understand?

That’d he’d been possibly, most likely stood up by one stupidly doe-eyed and unfairly sweet-voiced music major who he totally hadn’t been crushing on for the past few days (nope not at all) and who hadn’t looked so adorably flushed when he gave a shy ‘yes’ in response to his stuttered invitation the day before (all the while Seokmin and Seungkwan were snickering conveniently in the background.)

Soonyoung let out an aggravated sigh, running his hands through his hair. He knew, objectively that Jisoo wasn’t the type of person to stand someone up - in fact, he was quite certain there wasn’t a single malicious bone in that boy’s body.

Jisoo obviously had a reason for his tardiness, Jisoo obviously would have contacted Soonyoung if he couldn’t have made it (he glanced at his phone once more - nothing), and Jisoo obviously wouldn’t have even agreed to the date outing if he hadn’t wanted to come…

“Of course he wanted to come Soonyoung. Don’t be an idiot.” 

Still, when he swallowed, his throat was painfully, painfully dry.

Some part of him thought that he should just leave, to spare himself further hurt embarrassment. After all, they’d known each other for what? Two weeks, tops? Could he really claim to understand the inner workings of a person within such a short period of time? Another part of him desperately clung onto the serendipity of their first meeting (hopeless romantic? Him? Not at all.), the complete guilelessness of Jisoo’s smile when he looked up at him and whispered shyly:

“I got too caught up in watching you dance. You’re really, really good!”

Soonyoung didn’t realise how easily he could remember a single voice, the rich cadence from his memory ringing in his ear. 

“Soonyoung!”

And yet, nothing could compare to hearing that selfsame voice in person.

“Soonyoung!” 

The blonde didn’t even try to hide his expression (not that he was entirely sure of what he was feeling - anger? Hurt? Relief?) as he spun around at the call, his heart doing funny things in his chest when he saw a familiar figure darting through the bustling crowd. 

“Wait, please Soonyoung!”

The way he gasped his name as he burst through the last line of people that stood between them, cheeks flushed and chest heaving from clear exertion.

The way his bangs hung askew on his forehead and sweat dampened his brow, a single drop trickling down his temple.

The way he looked like he ran all the way there, without thought or pause, care or constraint, all to fulfil a promise he gave the dancer.

(A promise Soonyoung asked on a whim, in a single burst of unstoppable feeling.)

Soonyoung.” Jisoo said again, at the end of a shuddering exhale, simultaneously leaning forward and supporting himself on his knees. 

(Why, with even the simplest of things - just the plain utterance of his name, really - could this boy make him feel like he did whenever he was on stage?

Breathless.)

Hence, his current inability to form a coherent reply.

“Soonyoung?” Jisoo’s voice was pitched a touch too high when he didn’t answer at first, the brunette’s expression tight with anxiousness as he looked up at him. 

From the small furrow in his brow alone, to the way gnawed on his lip, Soonyoung was already prepared to forgive him, neatly discarding all of Seungkwan’s texted advice on making the tardy music major grovel

And then Jisoo began apologising in English.

(And even if he didn’t understand a word that left his mouth, Soonyoung knew from the first one alone that he was already a goner.)

“I was supposed to be on time, you see-” Jisoo began babbling, clearly unconscious that he’d switched languages. “-but then I only realized when I got on the train that I forgot my phone at home, so I had to go back and get it and then the next time I took the train, I accidentally got onto the wrong one and-”

(Ok, was it just him, or did Jisoo’s voice sound ten…no, seventeen times better when he was speaking in English? All whisper-soft and honey-toned, perhaps even a touch raspy…)

He let out a little squeak, unable to stop himself.

“Soonyoung?” Jisoo stepped towards him, eyes filled with concern. He really had the most expressive eyes. “I’m sorry Soonyoung, please don’t be mad at me. I’m here now, I’m so sorry that I’m late, I just-”

Jisoo suddenly halted, his hand flying to his mouth as the realisation came to him.

“Oh gosh, here I am apologising to you in English, when you don’t even understand a word I’m saying!” Jisoo fretted, heat crawling up the back of his neck, his face a picture of utter guilt. “I’m such an idiot. So so stupid. Stupid Hong Jisoo. I can’t believe how I’m so stu-”

“No, you’re not stupid.” Soonyoung cut him off, unable to bear his self-recrimination any longer. “You’re-” 

(Really, it was clear that his brain was the slow one , as it conveniently decided to stop functioning as he drank in the sight of the brunette in front of him.) 

Short brown hair damp and mused beyond belief.

Skin still heavily flushed (perhaps even mottled, really) from all the exertion.  

Dark blue sweater and the white button-down underneath it hanging askew on his slender frame. 

All in all, far from how well put together Jisoo normally was. 

All in all, how Soonyoung would probably look after a day of intensive practice (and he knew for a fact he didn’t make a pretty picture.)

“You’re perfect.”