Between Them [ Jihancheol ]

In Brevity

"Yah, I still can't believe you picked yourself." Jeonghan grumbled, pouting in Seungcheol's direction, purposely choosing the corner farthest from the eldest boy. Jisoo watched them from the opposite side of the room, lips quirking in amusement.

"Of course I'd choose myself! I'm awesome!" Seungcheol proclaimed, arms crossed over his chest. "Besides, if it was you, wouldn't you pick yourself as well?" He challenged the redhead with a pointed look.

Jisoo glanced at Jeonghan, curious for his answer as well.

"...YES BUT-" Seungcheol let out a crow of triumph. "-BUT it's only because I'm prime boyfriend material. Clearly I am the best option. For everyone." Jeonghan smiled rather smugly.

Seungcheol huffed, offended. "Excuse me! I'm sure all the members would choose me over you any day. Mark my words!" He pumped his fist for emphasis.

"Hohoho you say that now-" Jeonghan's eyes were glinting, and Jisoo knew neither boy would back down. Not at this point. "-but we all know they love me more than they love you."

"Well-" Seungcheol's gaze was equally intense. "-there's only one way to determine this, isn't there?"

Jisoo froze, feeling two pairs of eyes immediately focus in his direction.

"Jisoo-ah~" Jeonghan whined cutely, crawling towards the other boy. "You'd choose me over Seungcheol, right? I'm your ideal boyfriend, right?" He gripped his arm and buried his face in Jisoo's shoulder, snuggling into his side.

"Yah, don't let his angelic appearance fool you, Jisoo! We both know how evil he is inside!" Seungcheol ran up to his other side and grabbed his arm, trying to free him from Jeonghan's clinging grasp. "You'd choose me, right Jisoo? I'm your perfect boyfriend, aren't I?" He shook his arm like a petulant child.

"Stop it, Cheol!" Jeonghan snapped, annoyed, slapping Seungcheol's hands away from the younger boy. "Don't be so rough with him!"

"Well, then stop sticking to him like a leech!" Seungcheol threw back, not relinquishing his hold on Jisoo.

What had first begun as a harmless enough argument in Jisoo's opinion turned into a vicious tug of war, with him unfortunately caught in between. It wasn't long before he began to feel somewhat dizzy, jerking back and forth between Jeonghan and Seungcheol, the pair squabbling loudly enough that he was certain it could be heard throughout the entire house.

"Jisoo loves me, you idiot, we've been friends the longest! We have history!"

"That doesn't matter! Jisoo's closest to me now! I'm one of his best friends!"

"Well, I'm obviously the other, so your point is moot. And I'm the one who knows every little thing about him!"

"Well, I'm the one who supports him in anything he does!"

Seungcheol was already bellowing at this point, Jeonghan was clearly screeching, and Jisoo wondered why no member had come in to see what all the commotion was about.

(then again, they'd probably gotten used to their eldest hyungs' shenanigans at this point and have unanimously decided to let them hash it out for themselves.)

Still, Jisoo knew this couldn't continue - Seungcheol and Jeonghan would loose their voices if this went on, and they still had a lot to film for the next few days - and there was only one conceivable way he could think of to get out of this mess.

"...well, if I'm being completely honest, I'd choose Mingyu." Jisoo admitted with a light shrug.

Ahhhh finally, Jisoo thought, watching their faces swivel towards him in shock. Blessed silence.

"You'd-" Jeonghan sputtered. His eyes were impossibly wide.

"Choose-" Seungcheol's voice was a squeak. His mouth was gaping open.

"-MINGYU?!" They shrieked in impressive chorus, and at that point Jisoo couldn't help himself, his laughter ringing bright and clear throughout the room.


Jeonghan's head was cushioned on his shoulder, the strands of his long hair tickling the sides of his neck.

Seungcheol lay on his other side, his arm looped around his, their fingers loosely entwined even in slumber.

Both boys' breathing had already evened out in sleep - the day had really taken a toll on them - but Jisoo couldn't help but stay awake a few minutes longer, listening to each soft inhale and exhale, the steady beats of their hearts against his. In near-perfect synchronicity. 

At least, in this, he thought quietly, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips, he never had to choose.