Two

The Bet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark taped the box on top and all of the sides, making sure that it was finally secure. After hours of packing, he was finally done with his last box. He double checked everything he owned, though he didn’t have much. Most of things were back in LA, but he didn’t want to go back there.

Not anymore.

Though it saddened him that he had to pack again. He hated this, the feeling of leaving something behind. He had no other choice, because there weren’t many options to choose from.

He sighed, shaking his head. There was no use in dwelling with these feelings. He had bigger problems to face. There was no time in thinking about such.

For Joey.

He stood up, remembering he had to take a bath. He draped a towel on his shoulder as he walked out. His stop slowed down with every step. Hi auntie was talking with someone, and he was sure it was his dad.

“Are you guys all set?” He heard his dad ask. They were probably on skype or something.

“We are, Raymond. Mom’s very excited to go to LA.”

The truth was, his auntie and his other relatives would be leaving for LA. His auntie had to sell the house, and they would be living in the US. He was about to pass through, but he heard his name from the conversation.

“What about Mark?”

He could hear the woman sigh. “I tried, Raymond. But, Mark doesn’t really want to.”

He couldn’t wait anymore, so he passed through. He thought he wouldn’t be noticed, but it seemed that his auntie had very sharp hearing.

“There he is. Mark, it’s your dad.”

“Hello, son.” The man said, smiling. “How are you?”

“Hi, dad. I have a class, so I have to go.”

He didn’t bother looking back. He was being rude and unreasonable, but this was better. He had to do this, rather than saying anything that could make their situation worst.

But, he had to keep a civil relationship with his father, for his brother. All of this, it was for his brother.

Joey was the only one who kept him going.

He was followed by his auntie to the kitchen. He took out a glass and a pitcher of water. It seemed that their conversation ended too quickly.

“Mark, are you sure you want to stay?”

He sighed, nodding. “Auntie, I’ll be okay here.” He said. “Besides, I have no reason to go back there. Our house, our money, mom… They’re gone, she’s gone. I can’t really afford to continue my education there.”

“Will you be okay here?”

“Auntie, I’ll be fine. I promise Joey I’d come back, but I have to save.”

“Where will you stay?”

“I asked on of mom’s friends if I could stay at their place for the time being. She said that there was no problem at all.”

The woman sighed as she approached him. “Are you sure you’ll be okay?”

He smiled, trying to give his auntie an assurance that he would be fine. It was hard to fake one, but he managed to convince her.

“I’ll be okay, auntie. Don’t worry.”

He had to.

---

The rain sound, for some odd reason, soothed him.  He liked hearing the way the drops would hit the ground.

In a way, it reminded of himself. He knew how it felt to be so high up, but would end up falling on the ground. It sounded so tragic, but as he said, he loved the sound of the rain.

The cab sto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter