Yuri : Spring

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 24. Yuri : Spring.

“Happy birthday, beautiful.”

I hugged her from behind the wheelchair. Mid-spring air was fresh with hints of flowers scent everywhere. She was alone, in the balcony, after what I knew to be another session of outdoor therapy.

Learning from experience, I didn't prepare anything special for today. No expensive dinner, no fancy gift, just a stem of red rose in my hand and a little box in the pocket of my pants. The plan was to hand her the box if and only if she was in a good mood today.

“Thank you.”

There. Tears were in her eyes and I pushed the box further into the pocket before kneeling in front of my wife. Experience taught me not to say much during her break down, to let her cry or scream or do whatever she feels like doing until she feels better. I just knelt in front of her, holding her hands in mine. Wind blew and one petal of the rose gone with it.

“Sooyoung said I can go home tomorrow.”

“Today if you want too.”

“Today.”

“Yes.” It was a simple gift I planned, for her to spend this special day with me and Jihye back at home. Family and friends would only come over for a little celebration the next day if Jessica wanted to.

“I'm scared.”

“Of?”

“What if.... What if I end up burdening you?”

“You will never be a burden to me. In case you haven't realized it, I need you more than you need me.”

She looked away.

“Jihye is waiting. The house is ready with all the required facility. The private nurses and caretakers that will help us, I've picked the best of of them myself.” My knee started to hurt so I rose up and bent to her level instead. I gripped the hand-rests of the wheelchair and stared into her eyes. “But if you're not ready. If you want to stay here for a little longer. It's completely okay.”

“I'm such a fickle to deal with, am I?”

“Sometimes.” I smiled, moving to push her wheelchair closer to a bench so I could sit too. Facing each other like this, I hoped she could see my eyes as I spoke.

“Thank you for being so patient.” She finally picked the rose from her lap, smelling the soft petals then sighed.

“Thank you for holding on.” I held her face and let my thumb brushed her cheek.

“Can we stay here for a moment before going home?”

“We can stay here forever.” I smiled. “If it's not suddenly raining.”

She pouted, slapping my arm with the rose.

“Careful. It's an expensive stem of rose from Jongkook private's garden.” Happy that the bad mood seemed to go away I already, I decided to .

“I love you.” The sudden confession echoed in the garden felt like a love song to my ears.

“I know.” I leaned back on the bench, stretching my arms and closed my eyes.

“Yul...”

“Ssssh... trying to enjoy April's best here.”

“Why are you teasing your poor wife like this?”

“Because I love her so much, maybe?” No need to open my eyes. I could easily picture her blushing in my mind.

A few seconds passed with me waiting for another comeback. If she wanted to, Jessica could be witty too. But I felt her touched my hand instead.

“Don't ever give up on me, please.”

“I don't think I can.” I let one eye open, smirking. “They still haven't found a Miss Korea good enough to replace you.”

She pouted, ever so adorably. Then I felt it, her foot kicked my shin.

“Whoa!” I sat up straight. “Since when you can kick?”

“Since my husband can be so annoying.” Her laugh rang in the air like a melody.

I pushed the wheelchair back so I could sit on the ground. Resting her left foot on my hand, I started massaging her leg. “Do it again.”

“This way? I might end up knocking your teeth off.”

“Worth the try.” I took off her canvas shoe. “Do it.”

Then she moved, turning her ankle slowly before gently kicked the air. Pride burst in me and probably in her too as she was grinning widely.

For a moment we could only grin at each other. Then I remembered the box in my pocket. “Once again, happy birthday.”

She took the box from me, holding it close to her chest.

“Promise me you won't cry.”

But her eyes already brimmed with tears as she opened the box.

“Let me help.” I stood up and looped the necklace around her neck from behind. “The charms are me and Jihye. This way we can always be with you.”

She held the necklace up, fingers rubbing at the little charm of an elephant and a bird.

“The elephant is me, obviously. Your strong and manly protector.” I rested my chin on her shoulder. “This tiny bird is Jihye. She will bring your every hope to the sky and make a beautiful reality of it.”

She turned to kiss my cheek but I captured her lips instead. It felt so good when she could forget all her insecurities even just for a few moment. I knew this was not permanent. The ups and downs of her feeling was the result of the injury and the drugs she was taking. We just had to hold on to each other in each and every step of the way and everything should be alright.

“Take me home, Yul.” She asked between kisses.

I grinned into her sweet lips.

I watched from where I stood by the open door. Two months into her stay at home, my wife had been doing pretty well. She was in the middle of one tiring physical therapy session. Two therapist helped her as she tried to stand up in the pool terrace. I chose to watch instead of helping this time, happy to observe her progress.

The cast on her right foot had been removed, but she couldn't use that one leg yet. Nowadays her goal was to try to stand on her left foot while holding onto people or the installed ram.

I saw her cringing, probably because the stress her muscles had to endure. My instinct was to come close and comfort my wife but a strange sound came to my ears. It was Jihye.

I rushed to the living area where I my daughter on a play mat earlier. She had been fast asleep after a visit to the pediatrician. I found her waking up though, rubbing her eyes and wriggled on the pink mat.

“Jihye, what are you doing?” To my surprise, my little daughter was babbling. Drooling as her hands flailed about. “Are you trying to call for daddy?”

She babbled again. A sound I never heard before but surely one of the most wonderful things ever reached my ear. We had been waiting for her to to really start babbling, scared because she should have passed this milestone about a month ago.

“What are trying to say Jihyennie?” I held her up high in the air just like she always loved to. “Mommy? Daddy? Say daddy. Dada. Daadaaa. Good. Say it again.” I laughed, blowing raspberries and made her giggled.

She babbled louder as I twirled her in the air. If the words even made any sense, I was too happy to care.

“Your mother have to hear this.” I hurriedly carried Jihye out, kissing her cheek as I went.

By the pool, Jessica was standing on one foot while holding onto the ram mounted on the wall. Her brows creased in concentration. Her hands trembled.

“Jess! Look who sings as good as her mommy!”

My call surprised my wife, she nearly lost her footing but the two therapists held her up.

“Sorry, bab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter